ACF Nationals discussion

Old college threads.
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Re: ACF Nationals discussion

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

grapesmoker wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:More relevantly: Do not barge in to rooms and demand to read games on your packet without asking the TD first, especially if the TD is timing how long readers take in order to try to swap out the slower people and get the tournament back on track, and especially if you, yourself, are an incompetent or slow moderator.
This is a great thing to tell people before the tournament begins. How the hell is anyone to know that you're actually clocking people? People read during their bye rounds all the time without asking the TD; certainly as TD I would have no objection to any decent reader doing so without notifying me first.
Since the schedule resulted in Brandeis having one game followed by two byes (followed by one game, followed by lunch, but who's complaining) on Saturday, I asked to read for our moderator, who was not fast but not incompetent either, twice to speed things along. It would have very much slowed us down if we had to run down and speak with you, and it would have *really* slowed down readers in the other building. I think "do not barge into rooms and demand to read games on your packet" is a reasonable request, but polite requests should not have to be run by the TD.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals discussion

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

HKirsch wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:More relevantly: Do not barge in to rooms and demand to read games on your packet without asking the TD first, especially if the TD is timing how long readers take in order to try to swap out the slower people and get the tournament back on track, and especially if you, yourself, are an incompetent or slow moderator.
This is a great thing to tell people before the tournament begins. How the hell is anyone to know that you're actually clocking people? People read during their bye rounds all the time without asking the TD; certainly as TD I would have no objection to any decent reader doing so without notifying me first.
Since the schedule resulted in Brandeis having one game followed by two byes (followed by one game, followed by lunch, but who's complaining) on Saturday, I asked to read for our moderator, who was not fast but not incompetent either, twice to speed things along. It would have very much slowed us down if we had to run down and speak with you, and it would have *really* slowed down readers in the other building. I think "do not barge into rooms and demand to read games on your packet" is a reasonable request, but polite requests should not have to be run by the TD.
So, based on this I think the approach to go here then is to find and politely request to relieve the mods who are slower than you if such a person is there.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007