Minnesota Open Weekend on 10/17

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Minnesota Open Weekend on 10/17

Post by Matt Weiner »

I wasn't planning on bringing the VCU buzzer because it would require me to check an additional item both ways for $30. If the tournament needs this buzzer in order to avoid slap bowl, I can bring it provided that Minnesota reimburses me. Let me know before I leave for the airport at 5 AM eastern.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
goblue16
Lulu

Post by goblue16 »

Michigan will be bringing two buzzers.
Scot Putzig
Michigan 2010
Notre Dame Law 2013
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Matt Weiner wrote:I wasn't planning on bringing the VCU buzzer because it would require me to check an additional item both ways for $30. If the tournament needs this buzzer in order to avoid slap bowl, I can bring it provided that Minnesota reimburses me. Let me know before I leave for the airport at 5 AM eastern.
As it turns out this shouldn't be necessary. Thanks for the offer! Anyone driving should still bring theirs, though, just to be on the safe side.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm planning on bringing one of my buzzers. Hopefully I can figure out how to easily get this and my coat on the plane.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

All of the questions are now written for this tournament. We are finalizing the packets right now.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

tetragrammatology wrote:All of the questions are now written for this tournament. We are finalizing the packets right now.
This tournament is done! Suck it, everyone else!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yay.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

theMoMA wrote:
tetragrammatology wrote:All of the questions are now written for this tournament. We are finalizing the packets right now.
This is like some kind of quizbowl milestone. I hope there was a bottle of champagne around that you opened after signing off on that last packet.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

grapesmoker wrote:
theMoMA wrote:
This is like some kind of quizbowl milestone. I hope there was a bottle of champagne around that you opened after signing off on that last packet.
Since we love you, this tournament was proofread before being sent out, which happened two minutes ago. Look on our works, ye mighty, and despair!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

The one-game final occurred between Team Weiner and Team Vinokurov. Final score is 375-110, Vinokurov wins.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hello All,

"A Slant of Penn on Dull Brown Walls" (Eric Mukherjee, Guy Tabachnick, Jerry Vinokurov [and MEB for part of the time]) won the 2009 Minnesota Open after defeating "List of Fictional Bears" (Charlie Dees, Auroni Gupta, Joey Spicer, and Matt Weiner) in a one game final. Both teams had gone 11-1 in the Round Robin. I don't actually have the stats for the final game right now, but I will enter them as soon as I receive the scoresheet.

We'd like to thank all teams for attending Minnesota Open 2009. We hope all those who attended enjoyed the event. I know that it started off somewhat late due to poor planning regarding scoresheets/laptops issues; I'll try to be more organized about it in the future. I hope the rest of the tournament went smoothly enough, and that there was enough time remaining to start finish the fine arts event at a reasonable time.

I would like to thank Brian Weikle for sparing his Saturday to moderate at MO; Rob Carson, Eliza Grames, Joe Hansen, Andrew Hart, Lauren Johnson, Gaurav Kandlikar, Scott Miller, Christine Nygren, Tianna Pilipovich, Matt Rich, Tom Soderholm, Bernadette Spencer, and Michael Vandeweghe of the University of Minnesota contingent (yes, Gaurav is a registered student now!) for reading/scorekeeping/helping keep stats, etc.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Oh, one thing I talked to my team about with this that I completely forgot until today. I continue to see no reason not to move lunch later in the day to allow us more time to have nutrition etc. floating around in our bodies. This event wasn't the worst offender, but even then, playing 5 rounds, then 8 plus a final is quite different than playing 7 rounds, then 6 plus a final, especially considering KLEE, and for everyone who complains about being hungry in the prelims, I bet 90% of those people will realize the tradeoff is worth it.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White