Encyclopedia Brittanica

Old college threads.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Encyclopedia Brittanica

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Is it worth paying for the subscription, or is there somewhere that is cheaper and as good as this?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
vcuEvan
Auron

Re: Encyclopedia Brittanica

Post by vcuEvan »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Is it worth paying for the subscription, or is there somewhere that is cheaper and as good as this?
You probably already have access to it through your school.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

vcuEvan wrote:
TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Is it worth paying for the subscription, or is there somewhere that is cheaper and as good as this?
Is there any way to access it through my home computer, or is it only available at the school?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Is there any way to access it through my home computer, or is it only available at the school?
Many institutions have proxy servers available for remote access to electronic resources (here's ours). Ask your librarian.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:
vcuEvan wrote:
Is there any way to access it through my home computer, or is it only available at the school?
I know in my case, I have to log in to prove I'm a student before utilizing such resources from an off-campus network. I'd check your school's library website.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

If you don't have academic access, you might find the free Columbia Encyclopedia useful. It seems to have good breadth, if not much depth.

(Edit: WORDS)
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If for some reason you can't connect through your school, chances are high you can access it through your community's public library.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

yeah I looked on my schools website, and all it appears to have is "Linccweb," which is useless in almost every way possible.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

All the CCs in florida provide access to numerous online databases, Ethan, and indeed, that comes through LINCCweb, which is NOT useless.

I just looked at Chipola's list of databases, and it doesn't appear to have Britannica, but you should ask a librarian just in case. In the meantime, through LINCCweb you can access Grove Music, Humanities Full Text, numerous lit databases, JSTOR, science databases, etc., so you really have sources that are more thorough than an encyclopedia in almost every subject field.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

ValenciaQBowl wrote:All the CCs in florida provide access to numerous online databases, Ethan, and indeed, that comes through LINCCweb, which is NOT useless.

I just looked at Chipola's list of databases, and it doesn't appear to have Britannica, but you should ask a librarian just in case. In the meantime, through LINCCweb you can access Grove Music, Humanities Full Text, numerous lit databases, JSTOR, science databases, etc., so you really have sources that are more thorough than an encyclopedia in almost every subject field.
Oh, I guess I need to do more investigation into Linccweb, as I haven't ever seen anything useful (most likely do to my lack of experience with it.)
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

FWIW, I have never found Encyclopedia Brittanica to be useful in writing questions. Maybe I'm just not reading the right version, but the articles seem too short and introductory to serve as a clue mine for anything beyond an extremely basic difficulty level.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Whig's Boson wrote:FWIW, I have never found Encyclopedia Brittanica to be useful in writing questions. Maybe I'm just not reading the right version, but the articles seem too short and introductory to serve as a clue mine for anything beyond an extremely basic difficulty level.
EB certainly isn't a clue mine for difficult questions; but I've found it reasonably useful for concerns such as "this needs another late-middle clue" and "is this giveaway really the most famous clue about X?"

Which may make it more useful to editors than writers; and perhaps especially to editors who see substantial volume of low-difficulty questions.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

perhaps especially to editors who see substantial volume of low-difficulty questions
E.g., anyone preparing a CC tournament.

Anyway, Ethan, when you go to your library site, click on "LINCCweb" and then "Databases" and then log in with your student ID. There are tons of things there that are awesome for question writing. And the library itself I bet is filled with books, which are, you know, filled with information and stuff you can use for question writing.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I hear the internet is full of information, you don't really need Encyclopedia Brittanica...I've never used it writing or editing, though I guess I can see how it might be used for low-difficulty stuff like Borglum says. I don't mean to encourage bad habits, but if you need that kind of basic information about Thing X (and there isn't some decent source about it on the net), just go to Wikipedia or something and make sure you cross-Google whatever you find to ensure it isn't utter bullshit.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

No Rules Westbrook wrote:I hear the internet is full of information, you don't really need Encyclopedia Brittanica...I've never used it writing or editing, though I guess I can see how it might be used for low-difficulty stuff like Borglum says. I don't mean to encourage bad habits, but if you need that kind of basic information about Thing X (and there isn't some decent source about it on the net), just go to Wikipedia or something and make sure you cross-Google whatever you find to ensure it isn't utter bullshit.
I disagree. Britannica has some very in-depth information about lots of topics, particularly history. Like any encyclopedia, it has some variance in terms of the depth afforded to any given subject, but a lot of the information in it is very useful. I write a lot of questions using it as a source.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

No Rules Westbrook wrote: just go to Wikipedia or something and make sure you cross-Google whatever you find to ensure it isn't utter bullshit.
This was my main problem. It just seems that wikipedia is the only organized place that you don't have to wade through tons of crap to get actual information. So far that has been exactly what I am doing, but I just ASSUMED that EB would have as much information as wikipedia, without the possibility of someone editing in that they found a moon or something.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Having to look up every single thing you find on Wikipedia a second time to verify that it's true is a waste of time. Just go to the non-made-up sources first.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Matt Weiner wrote:Having to look up every single thing you find on Wikipedia a second time to verify that it's true is a waste of time. Just go to the non-made-up sources first.
Very good point
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

this just brings up the point that a vast number of college students are unaware that their school libraries are supplying these databases to them, when it costs a lot of $$$
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

For the record, I've found Britannica highly useful throughout my career, though it's probably not essential for quizbowl.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE