Quizbowl is a game that hates being a game?

Old college threads.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Quizbowl is a game that hates being a game?

Post by SnookerUSF »

The title of this post comes from, most recently, a post made by Eric Mukherjee in the "name bias in science" thread. I was a bit taken aback by it, not because I haven't heard it before, but because it was asserted so unconditionally and self-evidently.

What I think it is intended to imply, and correct me if I am wrong, is that because qb is intended to be "a fair test of real knowledge" that such things as: buzzers, scores, tossups/bonuses are ancillary to the task at hand.

I think there are some important implications that fall out depending where you stand on this issue. I am unconvinced that quizbowl is a game that hates to be a game, in fact, I am pretty sure that it wouldn't work fundamentally. What drives the excitement and passion that so many people have on this board and in the community in general is that we are set in competition versus one another, and that the questions are written in such a way, i.e. pyramidally, to enforce that structure.

If instead we had a scenario where people would write short essays on topics, and that groups of people would sit in rooms discussing the implications of what was written, using examples from their own research to corroborate or highlight some issue, and the person or group who contributed the most to the discussion would be declared the winner (with cheers from the assembled individuals) - that would be fun, and test "real knowledge", right?

Something seems horribly wrong with the titular formulation that quizbowl is such a game that hates to be a game, but indeed, I might be the only one who feels this way. I mean perhaps I am reading far too much into it, and really what Eric and others mean when they assert this is that quizbowl is a game that hates to be trivial, which is certainly something I could be on board with.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
BuzzerZen
Auron

Re: Quizbowl is a game that hates being a game?

Post by BuzzerZen »

Word.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think the phrase, which is not actually of Eric M.'s creation, has more to do with how quizbowl is a game that does everything possible to remain as non-gimmicky and consistent as possible within the constraints of technically being a game - the whole part about having rules and using a buzzer.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I interpreted the phrase (and I don't know about its creation) to be what Charlie was saying--that quizbowl strives to be a rewarding of true and deep knowledge in a competitive "game" like format, but minus the obvious "game" trappings seen in Bad Quizbowl (like cute hoses, puns, lightning rounds, "trivia" questions).

One obvious example would be the debate over the clock. The clock helps make quizbowl into more of a game (it adds suspense! strategy!), but quizbowl doesn't care about either of those two things so most practitioners of quizbowl want to see the clock removed (and even NAQT's removal of the clock killing neg practice was an acknowledgment of this).

There are different levels of this thinking. I've met some people who think powers are great for quizbowl, while others regard it as a lame gimmick. But on the whole, most Good Quizbowl people want to see quizbowl reward knowledge first, way before "good gameplay."
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

But on the whole, most Good Quizbowl people want to see quizbowl reward knowledge first, way before "good gameplay."
However, there's always going to be a certain amount of gameplay at work here, even on good questions, at least in the form of "This sounds like X, but at this level they're not going to make it sound so much like X so early. Better wait for the next few clues" type things. That said, we can still restrict such gameplay to aspects that do not harm the rewarding of knowledge, such as powers.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I forget, am I responsible for first saying qb is a game that hates being a game? Maybe. Anyway, I don't want to see that phrase get perverted into providing justification for turning quizbowl into a reading circle where we all regale each other with what book we bought yesterday or what chemical experiment we performed. Like I said in the other post - if, after a match, you want to talk to me about how you knew all about the answer because you did it in a lab or whatever but you just didn't know the right name for it, that's fine - I'm interested in what you have to say and glad that you understand X Effect, but I don't think that alone should get you points at quizbowl.

My opposition was aimed only at the "gimmicky" aspects of qb. I have no problem with qb being a "game", because most games that I like to play are fair and properly reward skill - and that's what qb should aspire to.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I have no problem with qb being a "game", because most games that I like to play are fair and properly reward skill - and that's what qb should aspire to.
I'm just wondering if people are somehow conflating "game" and "game show".
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:...within the constraints of technically being a game - the whole part about having rules and using a buzzer.
Yeah, this is the crucial thing for me. This notion of "technicality" is what perplexes me. Quizbowl isn't technically a game, it is a game...a game with rules, and buzzers and points. If you find those aspects "gimmicky," then I guess we differ as to the point of this enterprise. As Westbrook suggests, "most that I like to play are fair and properly reward skill - and that's what qb should aspire to." There is more to quizbowl than the reality-of-knowledge component, there has been and always will be (as long as the game maintains its current framework) a skill component to the game.

I would argue that this kind of cult-like adherence to the knowledge imperative has generated much of the kind of behavior at tournaments and nonconstructive criticism that Matt enumerated in another post. People are somehow shaken to the point of inappropriate behavior at the notion that they could be beaten to tossup X or fail to convert bonus part Y, and thus immediately blame the clue or construction, rather blaming the person on the other team who got that tossup.

I am not advocating that we do not strive for excellence in tournament writing, and I am also not suggesting that there aren't objectively good ways and bad ways to write a tossup, but as quizbowl is a game, you will get beat to things you should know or do know. But also remember this, you will also get a few things you shouldn't know over anyone else. I mean there is a whole lot of complaining on this board along the lines of how they got beat on or failed to convert tossup X in a subject matter that they are incontrovertible experts on, but given the PPGs of some of the top players in this game, you are getting a whole lot of questions in subject areas you really have no business knowing - and you ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' LOVE IT.

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

No Rules Westbrook wrote:I forget, am I responsible for first saying qb is a game that hates being a game? Maybe.
I believe it was Kwartler.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

SnookerUSF wrote:I would argue that this kind of cult-like adherence to the knowledge imperative has generated much of the kind of behavior at tournaments and nonconstructive criticism that Matt enumerated in another post. People are somehow shaken to the point of inappropriate behavior at the notion that they could be beaten to tossup X or fail to convert bonus part Y, and thus immediately blame the clue or construction, rather blaming the person on the other team who got that tossup.
I disagree with this. I think that rather what drives a lot of this behavior is up-and-coming players trying to puff themselves up to gain approval from the older, more established players. That, coupled with the Fundamental Difficulty Error, drives a lot of this griping; I don't think that believing that you should be rewarded for knowing stuff is responsible for it.
I am not advocating that we do not strive for excellence in tournament writing, and I am also not suggesting that there aren't objectively good ways and bad ways to write a tossup, but as quizbowl is a game, you will get beat to things you should know or do know. But also remember this, you will also get a few things you shouldn't know over anyone else. I mean there is a whole lot of complaining on this board along the lines of how they got beat on or failed to convert tossup X in a subject matter that they are incontrovertible experts on, but given the PPGs of some of the top players in this game, you are getting a whole lot of questions in subject areas you really have no business knowing - and you ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' LOVE IT.
Stuff happens all the time. I frauded a tossup on the Te Deum at VCUO this weekend because I recalled a clue from a tossup read in the car on the way up. Generally, I have no business getting those kinds of questions, but sometimes I'll get lucky; that's how it goes. That doesn't make the Te Deum an illegitimate tossup choice or even indicate that the tossup is somehow flawed. It just means that I got lucky and someone else was unlucky. I think the point that I'm trying to drive home in the other thread is distinct from this. It's about people choosing more and more obscure and generally unknown answer choices (for science, but this holds in other contexts too) that actually disadvantage players with science knowledge and instead reward Wikipedia browsing of eponymous effects. It's not about me deserving to get questions, it's about making sure that something resembling knowledge is rewarded.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Quizbowl is a game. There is a clear goal (to score more points than your opponent), a clear set of rules about how one can go about achieving that goal, and an objective determination of who wins (the number of points awarded for each correct answer or deducted for each incorrect answer is clearly delineated in the rules and not subject to officials' interpretations).

Some people would like the game to be more like Scrabble, and some would like the game to be more like Chutes and Ladders.

In Scrabble, there is a specific set of knowledge and tactics involved in winning the game; those who have larger vocabularies and better spatial/anagramming skills typically win games. There are ways to get around some of these issues, for instance, memorizing word lists and thus being able to play a word with no idea what it means. For the majority of the game, there is also some amount of luck involved. A slightly worse player can almost always beat a slightly better player if the tiles are favorable. Therefore, you can beat a slightly superior opponent with a little bit of good luck, but beating a far superior opponent will require a whole lot more good luck.

In Chutes and Ladders, there is no set of knowledge or tactics involved in winning the game. If you roll the dice well enough, you win...unless your 6-year-old cousin throws a tantrum and wrecks the board. Essentially, whoever wins the game is random, with impetuous children getting a slight advantage over people who try to play the game right. There is no such thing as a superior Chutes and Ladders player.

To me, good quizbowl is like Scrabble - there are ways to get around some of the knowledge required for the game (e.g. by studying old packets rather than acquiring outside knowledge), and some degree of luck involved (for instance, in what that third art question or miscellaneous lit question ends up being), but overall, the team with more knowledge will win the game most of the time. Bad quizbowl is like Chutes and Ladders - any knowledge advantage you have is essentially moot, and hissy-fit-throwing coaches are a staple of the game.

I think what we're seeing in some hard tournaments that people are changing the distribution of Scrabble tiles so that there's a total of 10 vowels and no blanks. Now, who wins the game is much more dependent on who gets the vowels than on who actually knows what to do with them. We're back to Chutes and Ladders. Eventually people are going to get around this problem by looking up "words with lots of consonants and only one vowel," which is a ridiculous subset of the English language that no one in their right mind would ever regularly use. So we get a cycle in which we're back at Chutes and Ladders, people adapt, and the set of words whose knowledge is prized is even more out of whack than when we began the cycle. By continually asking about magically obscure things, we negate every "real knowledge" advantage and the winner ends up being the team that wins more buzzer races and gets more lenient hard bonus parts; then, people start adapting to these issues by "learning" things that no one in that field of study would ever actually learn about.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

cvdwightw wrote:Some people would like the game to be more like Scrabble, and some would like the game to be more like Chutes and Ladders.
I highly endorse this post, except to say that even the worst of bad quizbowl involves infinitely more skill and knowledge than Chutes and Ladders. Monopoly would be a better choice for that analogy, as yes, a certain amount of very basic knowledge helps, but luck still plays an unacceptably high role, especially among anyone who's bothered to learn those few basics.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I like the Monopoly analogy. Generally speaking, you can be a pretty good Monopoly player--you need to strategically decide which properties to build on, how aggressive you'll be, how many hotels to buy, etcetera. It's real knowledge. But you can be the best damn Monopoly player ever and you can land on Go to Jail or get hosed by rolling three doubles in a row or keep landing on that Income Tax space.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

grapesmoker wrote:I disagree with this. I think that rather what drives a lot of this behavior is up-and-coming players trying to puff themselves up to gain approval from the older, more established players. That, coupled with the Fundamental Difficulty Error, drives a lot of this griping; I don't think that believing that you should be rewarded for knowing stuff is responsible for it.
But...But...J-J-Jerry, you can't disagree with me! That's gotta be in rules somewhere (Trygve help a brother out). But I am happy to leave this point be, for now.
grapesmoker wrote: It's not about me deserving to get questions, it's about making sure that something resembling knowledge is rewarded.
See I like this, "resembling knowledge," thing its a much more reasonable and arguably possible goal than an exact bijective relation between the sum totality of facts on a subjects and an 8 line tossup - I really do feel that people forget the kind of condensing and exclusion that is necessary.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

millionwaves wrote:
No Rules Westbrook wrote:I forget, am I responsible for first saying qb is a game that hates being a game? Maybe.
I believe it was Kwartler.
It was actually Eric quoting me from a private conversation. Not that there's any reason someone would know this.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum