Terrapin Invitational Mirror (11/14/09) @ UC Berkeley

Old college threads.
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Terrapin Invitational Mirror (11/14/09) @ UC Berkeley

Post by unnecessarily hot »

Hi all,

I'm pleased to say that UC Berkeley is hosting its annual WIT tournament, this time a mirror of the Terrapin Invitational Tournament (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8414). The tournament will be mirrored on Saturday, 11/14/09. TRASH Regionals will be the next day, Sunday 11/15/09.

This tournament is open to anyone. Feel free to contact me at: scpham AT berkeley DOT edu should you have any questions.

EVENTS
Saturday 11/14/09: TIT
Sunday 11/15/09: TRASH Regionals (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8726)

TIME
Meeting at 9:00 AM on both days, play will hopefully begin ASAP (probably 9:30.)

LOCATION UC Berkeley, 221 Wheeler Hall (http://berkeley.edu/map/)

FEES
$100/team
-$10/buzzer

CURRENT FIELD
* Brittany - Mike - Sean
* Mik - Perhaps other UCLA players
* Dwight - Other UCI players
* Berkeley (1-2 teams, depending on how the field turns out)
* Stanford (maybe)

FREE AGENTS
Last edited by unnecessarily hot on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
Steven
Berkeley Quiz Bowl (2006-2010)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Terrapin Invitational Mirror (11/14/09) @ UC Berkeley

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll be there for TIT (but not TRASH Regionals). I'm probably looking for teammates.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

It's possible that I'll attend this with or without UCLA brethren; if so, I'd do the whole weekend, want someone's house to crash in, and will let you know sometime after the 2nd of Nov.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
sc_from_or
Lulu

Post by sc_from_or »

Question, is the RMP fest going to be mirrored as well as the regular tourney?

For now list me as a possible free agent for TIT (TRASH is out), but it depends on my work....
Sean Cole
http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Oregon
University of Oregon Quiz Bowl 2001
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Some form of UCI students and alumni is interested in doing the IO/TRASH double that weekend. If I'm in the group that's going, I'd be certainly interested in some sort of side event Saturday night.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The Walden III set is also slated to be run this weekend at Maryland/Illinois/Harvard(?) sites, if there's interest.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Brittany and I are now playing together. We'd still be interested in any teammates and people who want to share a hotel.
Mike Bentley
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

If we can drum up enough interest in the RMPFest or WALDEN, I certainly would not be opposed to mirroring it.

I'd imagine it might have to be a truncated form of the side event. Officially, we have to be out of the rooms by 10PM, but I sometimes the school can be pretty lax about it on Saturdays so it might not be an issue.

Also, for anyone making the drive over to Berkeley: there is a Cal football game that day (11/14), so parking may or may not be trickier than usual.

I've edited the registration meeting to be 9:00AM; 8:30AM is probably a little early. Also, provided a link to our TRASH Regionals announcement in the OP.
Steven
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Also: Dwight, if your teammates/you are taking the plunge and going up via car that weekend, is there a possibility I could hitch a ride with you fellows? I will provide marshmallow squares.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

There is a good chance that we will be taking two cars for ~5 people. Should this occur we should have plenty of space for you and maybe some other UCLA folks. I'll hopefully have an answer by Wednesday.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Brittany and I are now playing together. We'd still be interested in any teammates and people who want to share a hotel.
We're now probably playing with Sean Cole, so we have one spot left on the team. It would be especially great if someone who knew science wanted to join us.
Mike Bentley
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

I'd like to come; also need a ride (from UCI hopefully). Thanks.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So with 3-4ish teams signed up right now, what are the possibilities that Berkeley can get some house teams for variety's sake?

Also, is Stanford not coming to this tournament?
Mike Bentley
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

The original post has been updated with the:

- Current field: Berkeley can field 1-2 house teams, depending on how many teams come on Saturday (we'd like to avoid byes.) Stanford hasn't said anything to me yet, but I'll shoot an e-mail their way seeing if they can send anyone over.

- Meeting place: Our meeting room is 221 Wheeler. Note that this isn't where we usually hold tournaments in Barrows, but it is quite close to it. We will meet at 9AM on Saturday.
Steven
cardinal
Kimahri

Post by cardinal »

Stanford's probably bringing one team.
Jason Ma
State College Area High School '06
Stanford University '10
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

What's the buzzer situation? Do I need to bring mine?
Mike Bentley
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Irvine is bringing one buzzer to both this and TRASH.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:What's the buzzer situation? Do I need to bring mine?
If Irvine brings their buzzer, we should be ok. We expect to have no more than 6 teams for TIT, and Berkeley already has two buzzers. The more the merrier, but don't feel the need to lug it onto a plane.
Steven
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

In the event that we have byes, can the schedule be worked out so that our last round is a bye? Brittany and I have to catch a flight at 7:30, so we'll need to leave around 5:30 or so, which will probably be pushing the end time of the tournament.
Mike Bentley
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

If it comes to that, we can schedule a bye for your last round. Though I do imagine that we will have enough house players that we will be able to adjust the field to avoid byes.
Steven
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Brittany and I had to leave after round 8, but through the first Round Robin UCLA was 5-0, Irvine was 3-2, we were 2-3 and I think Berkeley A was 3-2.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Oh hey I also realized I didn't end up paying for this tournament. Let me know what the final entry fee for us was with the travel and packet discounts factored in, as well as who I should make the check out to and where to send it and I'll get it to you promptly. You can e-mail me the details at [email protected].
Mike Bentley
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Brittany and I had to leave after round 8, but through the first Round Robin UCLA was 5-0, Irvine was 3-2, we were 2-3 and I think Berkeley A was 3-2.
UCLA won at 9-1; we finished second at 8-2, everyone else was somewhere around or below .500. The story behind our second-RR victory over UCLA will be told when packet discussion is clear, as it involves a bad neg that is actually neither stupid nor unfunny and I'd like to quote the tossup to the point at which Ray Luo buzzed.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Full stats have been posted: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quizbowl/t ... dings.html

UCLA came in first with a 9-1 record, with UCI coming in second at 8-2, and the team of Mike/Brittany/Sean/Peter at third with a record of 5-5.

Dwight led individual scoring at 124.5 PPG, while Jeff of Berkeley came in second with 81 PPG (though he moderated half of the tournament), and third was Strike! (Ray) of UCLA at 70PPG.

A big thanks to everyone that came out, and those who helped, including: Brian, Jeff, Kevin, and Jennifer.
Last edited by unnecessarily hot on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Oh hey I also realized I didn't end up paying for this tournament. Let me know what the final entry fee for us was with the travel and packet discounts factored in, as well as who I should make the check out to and where to send it and I'll get it to you promptly. You can e-mail me the details at [email protected].
I e-mailed Chris Ray about a packet discount, but have yet to hear back yet. As soon as I hear about that, I will let you know. Thanks for coming out to our mirror!
Steven
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Thanks for hosting the tournament. A brief and ultimately inconsequential correction - we picked up 19 out of 20 in our second game against Stanford; Kevin picked up the other tossup.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Thanks for updating the stats.

A slightly funnier stats mix-up, which I didn't catch until looking at the Fantasy Quizbowl stats: our Round 9 game against Sean/Peter shows 21 tossups as having been answered in a game that was never in danger of going into overtime. I'm not sure who ended up with the extra tossup.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org