Minnesota Open 2009 Discussion

Old college threads.
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Re: Minnesota Open 2009 Discussion

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

dyetman89 wrote:Really? So these writers and editors have an absolute stranglehold on this part of the distribution, and all we can do is thank God it's not worse? I submit that there is at least one thing that could be done about this: continuing to tell these people, over and over and over again, not to write on topics that are never studied in any philosophy department in the english-speaking world, unless it's some off-the-beaten-path 1500-hundred-student liberal arts college where the philosophy faculty is comprised of a presocratics expert whose degree is in classics, a Roycean pragmatist fuddy-duddy, and a Marxist-feminist-queer-"cultural" theorist with a comp lit doctorate who has never tackled a single philosophical problem of note, but sure can bitch a lot about oppressive metanarratives and the tyranny of heteronormativity. I think if we just appeal to the community's sense of fair play, and say "look: do your best to fill the philosophy distribution with stuff you would encounter studying in a philosophy department here in the U.S.", that should go a long way.
If we're "appealing to the community's sense of fair play", then we still need to find a place for these academics somewhere, even if you don't wish to call that place "philosophy".
Volvo Effect wrote:In this case, though, it seems that an interesting and important part of the intellectual discipline is being underasked, meaning that in gameplay terms, we have a big, untapped space of interesting answers. I certainly have found philosophy of mind interesting enough to do some independent reading about it... and I'd be happy if David Chalmers, Thomas Nagel, Daniel Dennet and others of their discipline and time period came up more often.
Chalmers, Nagel, Dennet and their ilk all come up at approximately 10 zillion times the frequency they did five years ago. This is of course a good thing.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Whig's Boson wrote:
Volvo Effect wrote:
Whig's Boson wrote:I hypothesize that most quizbowl players don't actually learn philosophy from a philosophy class. Rather, they learn it from one of the following sources:

(1) A history class
(2) A social science class (especially an intro or core social science class)
(3) from independent reading ("hey that book looks cool, I'll read it when I'm not reading for class!")
(4) packets

I think this is true for most other categories too, btw, except maybe science. If this hypothesis is true, then I think it follows that we frankly shouldn't give a damn about what is taught in Philosophy classes and some other standard is called for.
In this case, though, it seems that an interesting and important part of the intellectual discipline is being underasked, meaning that in gameplay terms, we have a big, untapped space of interesting answers. I certainly have found philosophy of mind interesting enough to do some independent reading about it... and I'd be happy if David Chalmers, Thomas Nagel, Daniel Dennet and others of their discipline and time period came up more often.
There's nothing wrong with submitting a third bonus part or lead-in clue about something you think should come up more.
I never said that I wasn't planning on doing that...
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There was a sports tossup on _Philadelphia_. I seem to recall a sports bonus at some point, but maybe I'm wrong.

While I find "joke" tossups usually not funny, I wonder if they might serve an useful way for editors to get some humor out of their system while still preserving the sanctity of a match. The bee tossup might have worked better in that regard. Again, I guess it's an open tournament, so certain things are assumed.

If I manage to outlast the current Minnesota contingent and somehow edit Minnesota Open myself in the future, I will continue to exercise this philosophy of writing on things that amuse me. BEWARE! BEWARE!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Magin bafflingly was able to convert La Wally.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Magin bafflingly was able to convert La Wally.
Yeah, he was totally talking about it in the chat room a few months ago. He almost wrote a tossup on it for Gaddis II.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Magin bafflingly was able to convert La Wally.
Brendan also converted it.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

dyetman89 wrote:Now, to comment on the set itself once more: I thought the Gilbert Ryle and Two Concepts of Liberty tossups, and the Reasons and Persons/Derek Parfit/Thomas Nagel, The Conscious Mind/David Chalmers/Rene Descartes, and The Refutation of Idealism/Principia Ethica/A Defense of Common Sense bonuses were just terrific. Densely written, interesting and important clues, thoroughly relevant answer selection - who could complain? In fact, that's one of the aspects I found most satisfying about these questions - the lack of excess verbiage and overall density of clues
I am glad you liked those questions, especially Two Concepts of Liberty and the Moore bonus (both of which I wrote as an attempt to include stuff by Berlin and Moore that isn't asked about as much). I don't know where my reputation for liking exclusively postmodern continental thought comes from; while I do find it interesting, there are many other things I enjoy learning about and writing. I do agree that there needs to be a plurality of people involved in influencing a category's answer selection, since no matter how diverse a writer attempts to be, there will always be elements of bias.

Regarding the observation that there were a few more religious philosophy questions in the set, they were written/included in an attempt to diversify the religion distribution.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'm glad you liked the Ryle, particularly; that was mine and not terribly different (I think one clue was added towards the beginning) from the one I submitted.
Andrew Watkins
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Hey, I'm totally a philosophy major at a university with a philosophy department that probably would live up to Doug Yetman's standards, so I feel confident saying: philosophy at this tournament was well-distributed and we don't need to make it a point to shake it up in quizbowl as a whole. Maybe some of the continental school stuff comes up too often, but hardly criminally so - those writers are really studied, the material is cool and it has lots of memorable things that makes writing questions about it pretty easy. I wrote the Reasons and Persons bonus almost exactly as it appeared in the set and I'd be fine with things like that coming up more, but I think it'd be unfortunate if that comes about by driving continental stuff to the margins.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Doug, only about 4/4 of what you label "continental" is actually continental in a useful sense of the word. Stuff like revivalist Neoplatonism and al-Ghazali is not continental in any sense other than that those people lived on the continent of Europe. "Continental" almost always means from the 19th century onward. Also, any definition that's lumping people like Nietzsche and Kant into "crazy Europeans that come up way too much" is just not useful. They are certainly in the continental tradition, but they are also foundational authors that should be coming up all the time.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

theMoMA wrote:Doug, only about 4/4 of what you label "continental" is actually continental in a useful sense of the word. Stuff like revivalist Neoplatonism and al-Ghazali is not continental in any sense other than that those people lived on the continent of Europe. "Continental" almost always means from the 19th century onward.

Believe me, I'm quite aware of the definitions of the terms I'm employing - note that I grouped these answers under the heading Clearly Postmodern/Continental/"World". So, uh, the label remains completely valid.

theMoMA wrote:Also, any definition that's lumping people like Nietzsche and Kant into "crazy Europeans that come up way too much" is just not useful. They are certainly in the continental tradition, but they are also foundational authors that should be coming up all the time.

I agree with you - and that's sure as hell not my definition! I hope I haven't given the impression that I believe Nietzsche and Kant ought to be relegated to the back of the philosophical bus - my lists were constructed to illustrate the considerable divergence between the representation of continental and analytic philosophy here, and what is the case in most philosophy departments in the U.S., so I just lumped everyone in their proper spot - I was not suggesting that everything grouped therein was unimportant or illegitimate. Certainly Nietzsche and Kant stand pretty tall, and their philosophically important works ought to come up left and right, I agree with you completely.

I'll answer Chris', Bruce's, and Marnold's criticisms a bit later; right now I'm aching for a nap.
Doug
Brandeis '17
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

It's hardly surprising that people are able to convert La Wally, by the way. It's come up...hell, it's in my (now fairly outdated) notes! I love saying things like that.

Secondly, I'm all on board the "explode the 20th century philosophy canon" train - because I think there are a ton, simply a ton, of reasonably important dudes and works out there that can be good tossup or bonus answers. And heavens knows I love tossups on third-tier thinkers and their works. But, it's absurd to pick bones with extremely influential pre-20th cent "continental" philosophy...any tournament should make a place for a small sprinkling of ancient and medieval-type philosophy, plus a healthy dose of pre 20th cent continental stuff.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I'm interested in knowing what everybody thought about the history distribution at this tournament. I am especially looking for comments on things which may have been vastly underrepresented compared to other tournaments, or categories which seemed systematically weaker than others. For instance, Jerry is right about there being several tossups on "polities" in the world/other distro; there were tossups on Brazil, Singapore, Srivijaya, Bolivia, Morocco, Median empire, Safavid, and Dehli Sultanate, which does seem somewhat excessive.

For me, history was kind of was the "category I dreaded writing" because I'm not really a good history player and stuff; I believe my fellow editors would agree with this assessment as well.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I thought the history was pretty good, with the major flaw being too many "polity" tossups, as well as like an added preponderance of dynasty/empire ones. There were some really interesting tossups on important historical figures who don't seem to usually be tossup subjects, like J.J. Astor and J.W. Powell (I wrote the latter). I also wrote a bonus which I liked but may have been way too hard on the _Surrender of Fifth Avenue_.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

gkandlikar wrote:Srivijaya
Oooh! I just taught my freshmen in high school about the Srivijayan Empire (along with the Khmer and Pagan)! In which packet is this tossup???
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Chicago Byrne and Editors wrote:14. Inscriptions from Sabokingking indicate that leaders of this polity decentralized their power through a network of datus, and the earliest record of its existence is found in the works of the Chinese monk I-Tsing. The reign of Samaratungga saw this polity undertake its most notable construction project, and late in the eleventh century CE, it moved its capital to Jambi . It gained control over the Malacca and Sunda straits by the end of the eighth century and tolled the shipping through those channels, and its tributaries included the Tarumanagra and Sailendra dynasties, the latter of which erected the temple complex at Borobodur. For 10 points, name this Sumatra-based maritime empire which came to control most of Southeast Asia and the center of the Indonesian archipelago from its capitals at Palembang until its decline in the thirteenth century.
Answer: Srivijaya
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Cool, thanks Rob. Good question! Hopefully my kids would answer it just after the power mark. :grin:
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I want to lodge a complaint about the Manhattan tossup that called it a polity. Usually I'm annoyed by polity questions because they can occasionally be too vague for a specific answer (that California tossup), but this time not only is it too vague, I don't believe that Manhattan at all fits the definition of a polity, thus throwing me completely off the right track until the end. Unless I learned wrong, Manhattan is not a self governing body in any sense, since it's part of the city of New York.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Manhattan has a borough president and a district attorney, so under the vague definition of "polity" (a government of some sort), yeah, I guess it is a polity. It definitely is if any of the clues referenced Manhattan's days as a colony. I assume the argument from the editors would be "Calling it _this borough_ would have made it too easy too fast." That said, I found that question rather perfunctory and uninteresting.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Especially since many of the clues were referring to the times when it was coterminous with New York City, I think it's fine to call it a polity. At any rate, to this day, it's coterminous with New York County.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Clue quality and ordering at this tournament was 99% good, and I heartily congratulate Minnesota on breaking the usual pattern of quizbowl and having a complete set ready to go at something that was not the last minute.

I thought that, overall, this tournament abandoned the "hard-end tournament on the calendar" idea of last year and just went nuts with difficulty. I have no idea why things like "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense" and Mohammed Naguib are tossups now. If anything, this probably helped/pleased my team, but I don't know if it's what some of the attendees were expecting.

Let's stop asking questions about bees.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org