TRASH Regionals: Upper Midwest

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

TRASH Regionals: Upper Midwest

Post by Cheynem »

Here is a very brief announcement. We will be running a mirror of TRASH Regionals on Sunday, November 8th, at the University of Minnesota. We are expecting a pretty small field due to the lateness of the announcement. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail me immediately at cheyne AT wmis DOT net or Brian Weikle (brianweikle AT mindspring DOT com).

Also because of the projected small field, fee structure will be different and probably more on a "per head" basis, with discounts for staffers and buzzers (and will be worked out per team). We are not anticipating significantly high costs per person.

This tournament will take place on the West Bank in Blegen Hall. Blegen notably does not open until 12:00 PM, so we will be starting the tournament basically as soon as we can get in and get going [EDIT--If we can get in earlier, like at 10:00, we'll certainly be doing that]. We are projecting at least 10 matches, so with a small field, that should still get us out before late evening. Because of the late start [EDIT: if we start late], I would advocate for people to eat brunch beforehand so we do not need to take a lunch break after like one match. Either that or bring money so we can order pizza and play TRASH with sticky fingaz.

Eligibility is completely open.

Current Field:
Brian Weikle's Team
House Team(s)--I would project at least 2
Carleton--1 team
Wisconsin--1 team

If for whatever nonsensical reason you are in the area and wouldn't mind staffing this, I would be happy to compensate you in some manner, such as buying you dinner.
Last edited by Cheynem on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
themanwho
Lulu

Re: TRASH Regionals: Upper Midwest

Post by themanwho »

I'm interested. It'll depend on if I can get time off at work on such short notice.

-M
Myron Meyer, Sioux Falls
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do you have a team or you would like to just be a free agent (either is fine)? In either case, just let me or Brian know as soon as possible if you can make it.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

themanwho
Lulu

Post by themanwho »

I'll be part of a team (at least one of my old teammates can possibly make it), assuming the minor miracle happens and I can get the days off.

-M
Myron Meyer, Sioux Falls
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Note my edit in the original post--There is the possibility we might be able to get into Blegen earlier on Sunday (like 10:00), which would be preferable. More information pending.

Format will be determined once we figure out how many teams will actually be there. Ideally, we'd like to see at least a double round robin (assuming the field is small) and then either some form of rebracketing or "fun" reshuffling of teams.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

themanwho
Lulu

Post by themanwho »

Won't be there, unfortunately. Thanks anyhow.

-Myron
Myron Meyer, Sioux Falls
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With that said, unless I hear from any other teams ASAP, I will assume the field will stand at 4-5 teams (Brian's team, Carleton, and 2-3 house teams). Obviously 4 is superior to avoid giving teams a bye, but if we are short on staff, I suppose 5 might be needed. From talking to various folks on Minnesota and Carleton, I think we will have enough staff (we only need 2 readers) to get this done with 4 teams.

EDIT: Wisconsin may be interested in coming. We might pad this out to 6 teams with 3 house teams if we need to, assuming we can get enough staffers.

EDIT AGAIN: Complete fee structure is still being finalized with TRASH.

We still haven't quite finalized the start time on Sunday. It will definitely be some time between 10-12.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm closing registration on this due to staff limitations.

Field:

Carleton--1 team
Brian Weikle's Team
Wisconsin--1 team
Possibly Sam Ross' Team?
House Team--at least 1, can add a second one to round out field if needed

What will happen is that if Sam does bring a team, a second house/mishmash team will be formed to make a sixth team, probably double round robin.

If Sam doesn't bring a team, there is still enough surplus players to form a mishmash team, but it will be a five team double round robin. During the byes, teams can scrimmage amongst themselves. This seems the fairest way for me to get the most people to play without having to resort to artificial "one man" house teams or whatnot.

Alternatively, we can do the four team thing and just use substitutes. I'm not sure which is the better option.

UPDATE: Still not sure on Sam Ross' team. Since we have a guaranteed third staffer (well, as guaranteed as anything involving Tom Soderholm is, laffeaux), even if we have just five teams, we can set up a reader in the "bye room" to read to teams scrimmaging amongst themselves.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've e-mailed details to all participants:

But just in case--Please meet in the second floor of Blegen Hall, West Bank, between 10-10:30 for registration. We hope to begin play around 10:30. The specific room that we are meeting in isn't determined yet, but it's a small hallway--you'll find us (classrooms 2xx). Hopefully we don't get locked out!

EDIT: Wisconsin had to drop out, but that's not a big deal. We will have four teams (Carleton, Weikle, House, House II) or five (add Sam Ross) and go as planned.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Brief results:

After a triple round-robin, three teams were tied at 6-3. Tia and the TRASHmen had a slight edge in stats, so Carleton and Minnesota A played a play-in game. Minnesota A won that game in overtime, and went on to face Tia and the TRASHmen in the final. T&theT won in a close-fought game.

Mike Cheyne of Minnesota a was top scorer by a wide margin. Full stats to come later.

Thanks to everyone who came out, and especially to Tom and Carsten for moderating.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Stats can be found here
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.