ANNOUNCEMENT: Harvard International II/ Fake ACF (3/20/10)

Old college threads.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Harvard International II/ Fake ACF (3/20/10)

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Since so many people are coming late, we'll delay until 8:30pm EST.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Playtesting late tonight (let's say we'll start at 10pm) of the remaining bio and other science (no more math/cs); on the order of 14/6, I'll estimate roughly.

At some point, I'll probably playtest those things that weren't written at the time of playtesting, for a likely ~13/13 in all; that'll be later on, though.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The "Penn/Maryland" team is more like Eric Mukherjee, Andrew Lim, and myself at the moment, for whatever it's worth.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DumbJaques wrote:The "Penn/Maryland" team is more like Eric Mukherjee, Andrew Lim, and myself at the moment, for whatever it's worth.
Andrew Lim! How exciting!
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Our team will be Hannah, Doug Yetman, Matt G and myself
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Playtesting late tonight (let's say we'll start at 10pm) of the remaining bio and other science (no more math/cs); on the order of 14/6, I'll estimate roughly.

At some point, I'll probably playtest those things that weren't written at the time of playtesting, for a likely ~13/13 in all; that'll be later on, though.
Unfortunately, last night ended up dedicated to the housing search this summer; many apologies. Reschedule for 9pm tonight, in #hiother.
Andrew Watkins
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

A reminder about the buzzer chain: Brown now has Yale's buzzer, Yale has Penn's. We will attempt to end this on Saturday.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

RPI also has a Yale buzzer system (I'm assuming Yale has multiple systems). Still have no clue who has our buzzer system
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Yale has only one buzzer system. RPI has it. The buzzer system we brought to T-Party is the one that Brown has now, which is actually RPI's. The one that we have now is the one that Brown brought to T-Party, which is actually Penn's.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

And after six weeks the great northeast buzzer crisis will finally come to a close. I think.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Ondes Martenot wrote:And after six weeks the great northeast buzzer crisis will finally come to a close. I think.
I am going to put "brought by" and "owned by" post-its on the doors where these buzzers will be used at the tournament, and everyone can fill them in there. Because I sure as fuck understand none of this.
Andrew Watkins
Susan

Post by Susan »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Ondes Martenot wrote:And after six weeks the great northeast buzzer crisis will finally come to a close. I think.
I am going to put "brought by" and "owned by" post-its on the doors where these buzzers will be used at the tournament, and everyone can fill them in there. Because I sure as fuck understand none of this.
All of the teams involved in this might want to bring something to put on their buzzer system indicating what school it's from (bumper stickers tend to be reasonably hardy and distinctive but a sharpie and some duct tape will do in a pinch) so that y'all don't have to deal with any of these old-timey-GRE-style buzzer redistribution problems again.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

This sounds like the fox, chicken and bag of corn problem.

You can only take one buzzer system across the Charles at a time, but if left alone, Penn's buzzer will eat RPI's...
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

It's been more than six weeks since EFT.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Hey, I need a team for this, since I'd like to split the tournament costs. Any interested teams/individuals should let me know.

Edit: I have just accepted the offer to play with VCU due to my appreciation of Eric Maynor's shot over Greg Paulus.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Our team will be Hannah, Doug Yetman, Matt G and myself
Actually, I was never asked about this... I'm playing with Chris Ray, Eric Mukherjee, and Andrew Lim instead.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Oh...must have been some sort of miscommunication between Andy and I. Any free agent is welcome to join Matt, Doug and myself on Saturday
DakarKra
Wakka

Post by DakarKra »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Oh...must have been some sort of miscommunication between Andy and I. Any free agent is welcome to join Matt, Doug and myself on Saturday
Unless I'm much mistaken about the status of other free-agents, I'm exactly what you're looking for. If you're interested in a semi-warm body to fill in next to you, send me an e-mail (this name at Y!).
Jeremy
Rutgers-New Brunswick
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

That sounds awesome Jeremy. See you on Saturday.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Brown may be bringing a full 2nd team or some free agents. We're not sure yet.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Cool; just let me know when you can because that makes the difference (most likely) between eight and seven teams (unless someone picks up Jonathan).

APPARENTLY he edited his post and I didn't see that!
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I have finished writing science bonuses. 31 of them need to be playtested again, and that will happen tomorrow evening, time TBA, in #hiscience.

I'm going to want to review 25 tossups (since I've modified them enough since playtesting the first time that some attention couldn't hurt). And there are 9 tossups that have not been written yet that, I hope, will be written quite soon and that I will be playtesting as soon as that is the case.

Philosophy playtesting will follow once science is, to a greater extent, off my back.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

UVA had to drop, so I hope you have that second team, Jerry.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:I have finished writing science bonuses. 31 of them need to be playtested again, and that will happen tomorrow evening, time TBA, in #hiscience.

I'm going to want to review 25 tossups (since I've modified them enough since playtesting the first time that some attention couldn't hurt). And there are 9 tossups that have not been written yet that, I hope, will be written quite soon and that I will be playtesting as soon as that is the case.

Philosophy playtesting will follow once science is, to a greater extent, off my back.
Turn "time TBA" into "Thursday night, because I can't seem to finish these tossups." Many apologies!
Andrew Watkins
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:I have finished writing science bonuses. 31 of them need to be playtested again, and that will happen tomorrow evening, time TBA, in #hiscience.

Turn "time TBA" into "Thursday night, because I can't seem to finish these tossups." Many apologies!
Is this happening?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

t-bar wrote:

Is this happening?
Goddamn flights. I'll be there right now and I'll see who's still around.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Okay, we playtested all but a couple of tossups I'd like some Experts to look at--so that'll go down tonight.

In other set completion news, we'd love some freelance social science. Email me and we'll have a chat. Auroni, you'd said you were going to write some last night; did that happen?
Andrew Watkins
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I'm assuming this will be held at Sever?
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Ondes Martenot wrote:I'm assuming this will be held at Sever?
Yeah: teams should arrive at Sever by nine; gameplay should start shortly thereafter.

If we end up with five teams, which looks overwhelmingly likely, we'll do a double round robin followed by finals (we'd love to do a triple round robin, but there's no way to do that plus have two packets for finals--also, potential tiebreaker packets). I hope we can somehow pull of six teams, because then we'll be able to do the same deal, but with no byes (and we'll be able to follow it with a playoff rebracketing into four and two).
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Even if the second Brown team is undermanned, is there no way to shore it up with Harvard team members?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:Even if the second Brown team is undermanned, is there no way to shore it up with Harvard team members?
The second Brown team would be solo Ian Eppler, I think? I don't know if he's willing to play alone. I think Dennis Sun hasn't seen the questions, so he could be convinced to play--but then we'd have enough staffers only if I read and keep stats both, which I guess isn't the end of the world after all. Yeah, that seems like a more workable solution.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Dual reading/keeping stats for an untimed tournament could never be worth the price of denying someone Dennis Sun (also, you can presumably get someone on one of the teams to scorekeep if it's really necessary). Avoiding double byes for a house-written tournament seems like a pretty central goal to me.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:Dual reading/keeping stats for an untimed tournament could never be worth the price of denying someone Dennis Sun (also, you can presumably get someone on one of the teams to scorekeep if it's really necessary). Avoiding double byes for a house-written tournament seems like a pretty central goal to me.
By "keep stats" I meant "enter stats into SQBS," which will doubtless cause some delay--but it won't add up to the length of the byes and it sure won't add up to the two games you aren't playing, so I'm quite behind this! I've talked to Dennis and he's willing to play, more importantly.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Right now, we have Ian rotating in on our team. If he wants to play with Dennis Sun and this won't ruin the schedule, I'm sure that would work fine too. Can this be a game-time decision or do we need to know now?
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

grapesmoker wrote:Right now, we have Ian rotating in on our team. If he wants to play with Dennis Sun and this won't ruin the schedule, I'm sure that would work fine too. Can this be a game-time decision or do we need to know now?
If he plays with Dennis, then we have six teams and that's much better for the schedule. You can decide this whenever, since either way we have enough staff. We'd just much rather have six teams.

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure that playing HI doubles qualifies you for a BRASS BEARD
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

We'll have a guest appearance from Julia Schlozman in the morning and Dennis Sun either in the morning or all day (if Ian gives the okay, Dennis has a concert in the afternoon he'd like to go to, but he's willing to stay for the good of the team and all).
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Hey, in case you didn't know, Dallas is hosting the afterparty. People will probably get dinner after and then head to his suite in Cabot.
Andrew Watkins
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

When is MELD being run?
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

vcuEvan wrote:When is MELD being run?
I too would like to know the answer. Not that I'm opposed to afterparties but I'd like to play this tournament.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

grapesmoker wrote:
vcuEvan wrote:When is MELD being run?
I too would like to know the answer. Not that I'm opposed to afterparties but I'd like to play this tournament.
Of course. We'll run MELD right after the tournament (unless it's an absurd hour, which it shouldn't be).

Actually, we should work this out: I'd imagine Dallas and I are willing to staff (I certainly am), but we're going to need more staffers in order to run this competently at a rate of one per four participants. Email me if you want to play or staff.
Andrew Watkins
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Any update on how this is going?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Whig's Boson wrote:Any update on how this is going?
Heading into the last round of play, VCU+Magin are 8-1, Chris/Eric/Hannah/Andrew are 7-2, and Brown is 6-5. Yale is 4-5 and RPI and Ian/Dennis/a few rounds of Julia are both 1-8.

We'll almost certainly be running the three-round playoff rebracket upon the conclusion of these prelim rounds, because why not. (Certainly no one I've talked to is against it, and we've run on a fine schedule.)

MELD still needs staffers, particularly as my voice is next to shot. (Currently, Dennis Loo has replaced me.)
Andrew Watkins
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Whig's Boson wrote:Any update on how this is going?
Heading into the last round of play, VCU+Magin are 8-1, Chris/Eric/Hannah/Andrew are 7-2, and Brown is 6-5. Yale is 4-5 and RPI and Ian/Dennis/a few rounds of Julia are both 1-8.)
Did you mean "Brown is 6-3"?
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

The word on the street here in Zurich is that VCU won this.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Yes, after a spirited chriserichannahandrew team took the first game of an advantaged final.

Stats are in the hands of Dennis Loo, who had to split before the tournament ended; they'll be online once we're in touch with him.

Thanks to everyone who came out.
Andrew Watkins
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Thanks to Harvard for a fun tournament and a great birthday party. In other news...

the Northeast buzzer crisis continues! I am once again in possession of a Buzzersystems.com buzzer. This one has no label, so I'm guessing it's Penn's. Can anyone confirm this?
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

You might owe me money for this tournament if you are not Yale, RPI, or VCU. Fix that at some point by mailing a check made out to Harvard College Bowl to me at 3 Sacramento St., Cambridge, MA 02138.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ben Cole wrote:Did you mean "Brown is 6-3"?
We were so bad we lost a few extra games in the bargain.

Can we start discussing this set? I have to say that I was mostly disappointed in HI; I don't really think it lived up to the "fake ACF," label at all. There were definitely lots of good questions, but there were also a lot of poor ones and the bonus inconsistency was just egregious (bonuses ranged in difficulty from high school level to "you are not getting any points on this, ever."). Basically, it seemed like this set was all over the place and it made for a really frustrating playing experience.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Yeah; I don't (think I) have subforum-creating powers, but I will alert someone who does.
Andrew Watkins
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Yeah; I don't (think I) have subforum-creating powers, but I will alert someone who does.
Is this being run somewhere else or something?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008