CULT Nationals - VCU - 6/26/10-6/27/10

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: CULT Nationals - VCU - 6/26/10-6/27/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

Since it looks like we perhaps might not get a very large field for this tournament, I'm considering making it available for mirrors. The main site will still be at VCU (which will be happening no matter what) and I encourage everyone able to attend that site to come and play there, but if other regions want to host a mirror of the tournament on the same weekend or a few weekends later, I may be willing to let this happen. E-mail me ([email protected]) if you're interested in hosting such a mirror.

I realize that some people attending prospective mirrors may have already participated in a playtesting session. However, since we've only done 4 of the 20 rounds so far, there would still be enough blind rounds for a single-day mirror.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

No playtesting tonight.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

We'll playtest the next packet at 11 pm eastern tonight. I haven't heard any inquiries from mirror sites yet, but it might make sense to avoid this session if you would be interested in playing in a mirror (and especially if you live in Illinois).
Mike Bentley
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

After trying for the last week or so, I was unable to get a Canadian team together for this but I am very interested in coming down and playing this set. Therefore I am currently looking for a team that I can latch onto for this tournament. I am more than happy to play on a casual team but I would be able to pull my weight on a more competitive team as well; my main desire is just to come down and play this set.

If teams are looking for players to fill certain niches, I can get good buzzes on non-rock music (especially pop, country and rap/hip-hop), tv (mostly sitcoms...I am also fairly familiar with 2000s Disney and Nickolodeon programming), and non-electronic games (i.e. board and card). I have cursory knowledge of *some* movies but nearly no knowledge of sports (though, being Canadian, I might be able to get some lucky buzzes on hockey if they come up).

If anyone is interested in picking me up for their team, please email me at adosreme at gmail dot com (I don't care to anti-spambot it more than that) or reply on this thread and hopefully we can work something out (I will simultaneously still be working to build a Canadian team, but if I agree to play on another team through this thread first, then that will take precedence).
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Harpo
Kimahri

Post by Harpo »

I'm interested in joining this tournament as a free agent.
Adam Perkins
University of Chicago '10
University of Texas Law/LBJ School of Public Affairs '14
Batsteve
Lulu

Post by Batsteve »

Maryland will be bringing a second team to this, with a team made up of some combination of Logan Anbinder, SteveJon Guth, Monica Remmers, and a mystery fourth player.
SteveJon
Unaffiliated
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Some Ohio State people have formed a team to play this.

Edit: Andy Sekerak just guaranteed victory over David Seal and co.
JDurst
Ohio State
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I have marked down the teams that have officially registered on the field update. If you have not yet officially registered, please to do soon so I can make sure you're coming. To officially register, please follow the instructions in the announcement.
Mike Bentley
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

My team of myself, Brice Russ and Chris Wieder is looking for a fourth. Looking especially for someone with strength in recent video games, comics, and film of all decades.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

The Motley Eye wrote:My team of myself, Brice Russ and Chris Wieder is looking for a fourth. Looking especially for someone with strength in recent video games, comics, and film of all decades.
As of today, I am still looking for a team. While I am not sure that my strengths are completely congruent with what you're looking for (see my post above), I would consider myself a decent all-around player and could probably benefit your team. If you guys could use somebody like me, then please do contact me so that I can finally confirm and start planning my trip down (it's a sufficiently long one)
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure I sent you a registration email way back when - let me know if you didn't get it.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Just so any coaches / parents are aware, this tournament will contain some explicit language as such language is pretty closely tied to the content of many of the topics being asked about.
Mike Bentley
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

adosreme wrote:If you guys could use somebody like me, then please do contact me so that I can finally confirm and start planning my trip down (it's a sufficiently long one)
Check your email.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

It would be great if the free agents could add themselves to teams soon so I can get a sense of what the final team count will be.

Also, if you're in the area and are available to staff, we'd appreciate having a few more people help out.
Mike Bentley
Charlie and Lolcat
Lulu

Post by Charlie and Lolcat »

I am in Richmond and available for free agency. If anyone is looking for an extra player, please email me at daveporter(nospam)217 at gmail dot com.
Dave Porter
Douglas Freeman (2002-2005 as a player, 2006-2010 as staffer discount; 2010-2014 as volunteer consultant/assistant coach)
Freelance Trash player (2008-present)
Perennial VHSL Staffer (Conference 11 and Region 5A South)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Again I would really appreciate it if the teams listed as "not official registered" or people listed under "free agents" in the field update would officially confirm they're coming / not coming by e-mailing me at [email protected] ASAP. Unless we end up with an inconvenient number of teams schedule-wise, I'm going to close the field on Sunday.

Also, Matt has told me he plans on posting most of the logistics information tomorrow.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Speaking for myself and not Fred, I would seriously, seriously doubt that the Movies side tournament would be finished for this. Those in favor of good quizbowl would note that this delay was due to a lot of work being put in for NSC (Fred) and NASAT (me). On the more positive side, I will run the TV event here for those who did not play it with ADDITIONAL SECRET QUESTIONS even for those who did.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Yeah, Movies won't be done. Sorry kids.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Here is an update I just sent to teams:

Hey everyone, CULT is just a week away. The questions are now more or less finished and now it's time to make sure the logistics are in place.

Currently we have around 11 teams signed up. Ideally I'd like to get an even number so that we don't need to have byes. This is what the official field looks like at the moment:

Official Registered Teams:
Luna Brothers et al (1)
Alexander Poon et al (1)
Delaware (2)
Eric Douglass et al (1)
NC Wesleyan (1)
Dan Goff et al (1)
Chris Ray, Jeremy Eaton, Adam Fine, Ben Frank (1)
Mike Cheyne, Rob Carson, David Seal, Michael Arnold (1)
Logan Anbinder, SteveJon Guth, Monica Remmers, Mystery Guest (1)

Not yet confirmed teams:
"Some Ohio State People" (1)

People still listed as free agents:
Delano Barnes
Dave Porter
Aaron Dos Remedios
Nick Petrilli
William Rainey
Adam Perkins

If this information isn't accurate, please let me know immediately.

Remember that this is a two day tournament. There are 20 total rounds. If we have 10 teams we'll probably do a double-round robin followed by a finals, and if we have 11 or more teams there will be a single round robin followed by some TBD playoff structure. We'll probably try to do around 12-14 games on Saturday so that people can leave on Sunday at a reasonable time. Also, Mike Cheyne is running his TV Tournament (previously played at the NSC) as a side event. This will almost certainly take place on Saturday night. See http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9529 for more details on that event.

Also, here are a few rules things: The tournament will be conducted using ACF rules. There will be no powers and no lames. You can call your team whatever you want (so long as it is consistent from round to round) but you cannot use pseudonyms.

I will be sending out another update shortly with logistics information (e.g. when and where to meet on each day, where to park, where to eat, etc.).

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike Bentley
Tournament Director
Mike Bentley
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

If it helps you, Mike, I am officially playing with Alex Poon, Jordan Palmer and Jay Misuk (from McMaster).

However, I would also like to take a sentence or two to thank Dan Goff. Thanks for your efforts to help me out when I didn't have a team, I really appreciate it.

See you all next Saturday!
Aaron Dos Remedios
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, here is some logistical information about the tournament.

The location on the VCU campus is Hibbs Hall (specific meeting room TBA and indicated with signs on the doors). Here is our standard information on finding and parking near Hibbs:

-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-It is almost certain that the one and only door to Hibbs which will be unlocked for the weekend is the door on the north (interior-facing) side of the vestibule that is on the library side of the building. We will endeavor to have signs up that point you to this door.
-On weekends, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is either in the loop which runs past the building on the west, or on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you can try parking on Franklin Street just north of the building, on Floyd Avenue near the Commons, or, further south, on Main Street. If all else fails, you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between zero and five dollars to park all day.

Here is how to get from the highway to the actual building rather than the parking garage that the VCU website sends you to:

-Get off on exit 76B if coming from the north or west. Turn left at the light at the end of the ramp, putting you on Leigh St. The next intersection will have two different streets running very close to each other than you can turn right onto; turn right onto the second/larger street, Belvidere St. Continue on Belvidere until you reach Broad Street, and take a right. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.

-If coming from the south or east, take exit 76A, then turn left onto Chamberlayne Parkway/Avenue. Moving south on Chamberlayne, it will become Adams St as you cross Leigh. Continue on Adams until you reach Broad Street, and turn right onto Broad. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.

Food suggestions:

Breakfast: Village Cafe at Harrison and Grace is a two block walk from the tournament building and is recommended for hot food. Various diners & chains along Broad St to the west are within a short drive. 7-11s are found on Harrison St at both Main St and Grace St.

Lunch/dinner: There are many popular local eateries in walking distance of the building for lunch, including Roxy Cafe, Piccola Italy, Elephant Thai, Nile Ethiopian, and both regular and vegetarian Chinese restaurants. Several popular chains, including Five Guys, Chipotle, Extreme Pizza, Subway, and Starbucks, are also on or near the campus. We will hand out a map to all of these locations at the tournament.

Many additional dinner options are located a little further out in the city, especially in Richmond's historic Shockoe Bottom and Carytown neighborhoods. Several VCU affiliates and other Richmond residents will be on hand as tournament staffers or players, and we will be happy to consult with you on finding your preferred type of cuisine.

Hotel suggestions:

There are no hotels that are realistically walkable to VCU besides the very expensive (but very highly rated) Jefferson. The downtown hotels are the closest for driving, but you may find a better deal using the cluster of hotels five to ten miles west on Broad Street, or staying near the airport, at the cost of only a few more minutes on your commute. If you would like to know the reputation of a particular hotel, feel free to ask me; generally, the ratings on the online sites are accurate. My recommendation is the Broad Street area, since it's a little more lively and accessible to things like food and tourism than the airport area, which is basically an airport area.

Those who are attempting to economize by squeezing lots of people into 1 or 2 rooms may wish to use the Hyatt Place at the airport ($107 a night) which is quickly becoming the official hotel of quizbowl due to the fact that you can get a large room with 3 beds easily.

If you have any logistical questions that are unanswered by this post, get in touch with me at [email protected].
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I know without asking that David approves of this, but pending the approval of the Minnesota half of our team, we will be playing as "Ooh-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah"
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

By the way I've been convinced to add powers, so look forward to that.
Mike Bentley
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

You should add lames too.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

NO DON'T

In all seriousness, lames require a lot of extra, annoying work on the writers/editors part, as now they have to write at least two more bonuses for every packet.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Cheynem wrote:NO DON'T

In all seriousness, lames require a lot of extra, annoying work on the writers/editors part, as now they have to write at least two more bonuses for every packet.
Actually this isn't true. The only time you would need more than 20 bonuses in a round is the (very unlikely) conjunction of
[at least 19 tossups get converted] AND [each team uses their lame] AND [neither team wishes to steal the other team's lamed bonus].

You could very easily get by with a half-dozen emergency bonus questions that you just keep in the stat room or whatever in the unlikely event you need them. I would be very surprised if you needed more than one of them.

Note: I make no value judgement about the lame rule in general and its effect on gameplay. Mike has perfectly good reasons for not using lames in this tournament and I'm quite sure that "saving himself some incremental bonus writing" isn't very high on that list. I'm just making the point that including lames doesn't add "a lot" of extra work for the writers.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

There will not be lames. Learn the trash canon.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, Brian makes a good logistical point. I guess I was thinking that in order to avoid logistical issues, it might be better with lames to include multiple bonuses in each packet.

BUT ANYWAY: I do not like lames, so yes.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:There will not be lames. Learn the trash canon.
I approve wholeheartedly.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

As long as the questions are written fairly (unlike most trash tournaments) so that getting 10 is usually possible for a decent team, there is no problem with this. They introduced trash laming for a reason, though.

EDIT: What's with throwing that random snide comment in at the end?
Pretty trashy
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

stevebahnaman wrote:
As long as the questions are written fairly (unlike most trash tournaments) so that getting 10 is usually possible for a decent team, there is no problem with this. They introduced trash laming for a reason, though.

EDIT: What's with throwing that random snide comment in at the end?
Sorry, that remark wasn't addressed at your personally. Instead, it was more of a general remark that rather than writing off parts of the trash distribution as "things we'll never know and will just lame", you should take the same approach you would if you were preparing for an academic tournament and actually learn this stuff. I don't have any "real knowledge" of topics like chemistry or classical music, but by spending some effort learning some basic things about them I'm now able to get points on them. And, like academic tournaments, the bonuses in this tournament (and, I would argue, in all good trash tournaments) are written in such a way to provide easy, medium and hard parts and have relatively uniform conversion between subjects.

Thus, even if your team doesn't like videogames or baseball or something, having a minimum amount of knowledge in these areas should be enough to net you an easy part in most cases.
Mike Bentley
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

I agree with all of these things.
Pretty trashy
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

Sorry about the double post!

It looks right now like NC Wesleyan's team is going to be 1 person short. Currently our team consists of me and 2 of my players, Jacqie and Chandra. If you're interested, let me know.

What is the likelihood that people are going to show up as stray free agents at this tournament?
Pretty trashy
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Since it's looking like we'll have 10 teams and 20 packets of questions, the format that works best is a double round robin of 18 games. Does anyone have a preference for how teams in the finals are decided? We'll be going with the ACF rule of only mandating a final if two teams are within one game of each other. However, I'm less sure on what the best method is to break ties for spots in the finals should be. Ideally ties should be broken by games and not stats, but that won't be possible if an advantaged final is needed. Since everyone will have played common opponents, does it make sense to go with PPG over PPB for breaking ties? I'm inclined to go with the former, but I'm open to hearing arguments supporting the latter.

Also, in the event that three or more teams are tied for the best record, is there a fair scenario for running the unneeded packet or half-packet so we can break ties in that way rather than with stats?
Mike Bentley
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

I vote for PPG because of the common opponents and the presence of powers.
Pretty trashy
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, we have a slight change of venue from Hibbs Hall to the Temple Building, located at Main St. and Harrison St. just a bit south of Hibbs. If you follow the directions from Hibbs for a few more blocks until you cross Main Street, you will arrive at the complex containing Temple and Oliver; it's across Main Street from the Commons and across Harrison St from Piccola Italy and 7-11, so it should be easy to find.

Parking on Main Street in front of the building is free on weekends and recommended.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

What day would BELFAST be occurring on? My grandparents live in the Richmond area and I'm going to be visiting them this weekend, and I'd love to be able to play BELFAST. I could probably staff CULT that day as well.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:What day would BELFAST be occurring on? My grandparents live in the Richmond area and I'm going to be visiting them this weekend, and I'd love to be able to play BELFAST. I could probably staff CULT that day as well.
The plan is to run it on Sunday after CULT ends.
Mike Bentley
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I can staff BELFAST as well, provided Matt Weiner is staying for that.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The MN/Chi team has built up an impressive lead going into the twelfth round, which will be the last one today. The tournament will conclude tomorrow morning. Stats through round 11 are at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings.
Matt Weiner
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Me staffing tomorrow is out, unfortunately. My grandparents don't want me away all day, sorry. Is there an estimated finish of CULT/start of BELFAST time for tomorrow?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Me staffing tomorrow is out, unfortunately. My grandparents don't want me away all day, sorry. Is there an estimated finish of CULT/start of BELFAST time for tomorrow?
It looks like round 18 of CULT will finish around noon, to be followed immediately by any necessary finals or tiebreakers. Whether BELFAST will happen immediately after that or with a lunch break interposed depends on how many such additional games there are and so on.
Matt Weiner
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This is a reminder that UTC is hosting a delayed mirror of some of the questions later in July, so please don't post question-specific feedback yet. Maybe an HSQB admin can set up a private forum for discussion after the main site is done tomorrow.
Mike Bentley
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We're back to the tournament. Round 13 stats are posted.
Matt Weiner
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Upset brewing... Dan Goff team 180, MinnChi team 80 at the half
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

175-175 after 13
Evan Adams
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

David Seal's second half heroics put the game away.
Evan Adams
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Congratulations to David Seal, Michael Arnold, Rob Carson and Mike Cheyne on clearing the field and winning the tournament. I'll have a lot more to say about the tournament (in a private forum) soon.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Join the "CULT Discussion" user group on the User Control Panel -> Usergroups to join the private CULT forum.

I already have some of my general thoughts on the tournament posted there and will be posting more such thoughts soon.
Mike Bentley