NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/20/10 at Maryland

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/6/10 at George Mason

Post by Important Bird Area »

That sounds like a good solution to me. Obviously, we want to adopt whatever date works best for the field.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

Don't worry about us; we are going to Harvard.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Matt is right in that 2/20 does sound good to me. We did promise to help moderate at TJ's tournament on that date, but all the outliers look towards that being a more positive date for the SCT to be held. I will confirm with teammates and Dr. Chuck if that is the date we wish to hold it on.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Lucy Lane wrote:Okay yeah this tournament has been postponed. We most likely are looking at the week of 2/27 to hold the SCT with due respect to Maryland and VCU both hosting ACF Regionals (We hope to attend) and T-Party respectively. Please if any further questions are wanted, please do ask and I will hopefully be able to answer them.
Why not host the tournament on 2/20 alongside Maryland hosting Regionals on Sunday 2/21? Wouldn't that be better in every conceivable way, including less time for embargoing question discussion, higher attendance at both tournaments and lower travel costs for teams, and no conflict with long-held plans by people involved in nearby teams to staff an important high school tournament on 2/27?

GMU, Maryland, NAQT: Your thoughts?
This would be a pretty terrible solution for us (and potentially Pitt, too) since the OSU regionals is much closer than VCU. As the difference between a day trip and an overnight, we would probably have to skip SCT if this happens. That being said, we also currently have our high school tournament scheduled for 2/27, so its unclear what would happen if SCT was to happen then, though I think we could probably manage to send some people.

Edit: and by VCU I mean Maryland, which is closer, but still would not work for us
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Susan

Post by Susan »

Pilgrim wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Lucy Lane wrote:Okay yeah this tournament has been postponed. We most likely are looking at the week of 2/27 to hold the SCT with due respect to Maryland and VCU both hosting ACF Regionals (We hope to attend) and T-Party respectively. Please if any further questions are wanted, please do ask and I will hopefully be able to answer them.
Why not host the tournament on 2/20 alongside Maryland hosting Regionals on Sunday 2/21? Wouldn't that be better in every conceivable way, including less time for embargoing question discussion, higher attendance at both tournaments and lower travel costs for teams, and no conflict with long-held plans by people involved in nearby teams to staff an important high school tournament on 2/27?

This would be a pretty terrible solution for us (and potentially Pitt, too) since the OSU regionals is much closer than VCU. As the difference between a day trip and an overnight, we would probably have to skip SCT if this happens. That being said, we also currently have our high school tournament scheduled for 2/27, so its unclear what would happen if SCT was to happen then, though I think we could probably manage to send some people.

Edit: and by VCU I mean Maryland, which is closer, but still would not work for us
As a last-minute emergency solution, is there any way you could go to the Ball State SCT (if NAQT and the host would permit this)?
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

VCU is not hosting SCT or Regionals. Maryland is hosting Regionals, and is about 60 miles further away from Pittsburgh than Columbus is. I understand that the extra hour can make a difference in whether you go the morning of or not, and I hope all of these issues are taken into account.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

myamphigory wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:

As a last-minute emergency solution, is there any way you could go to the Ball State SCT (if NAQT and the host would permit this)?
This might work. Jeff, is there still a possibility of us joining the field at Indiana?
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Important Bird Area

I doubt it, but I can ask.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Matt Weiner wrote: Wouldn't that be better in every conceivable way, including less time for embargoing question discussion...
This would in no way do that unless Maryland, Trevor, and Evan are essential to having tournament discussion. CCCT is playing sct that weekend, and i hear high school tournaments are also using sectionals.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Right, but there's ~20 regular college teams playing at GMU. This is, of course, not the big priority; I'm more concerned about conflicts with other events.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Certainly will do a room request for whichever date works better for most of the teams affected... as soon as campus room reservations folks are back in the office as well. We have all weekend to hash it out. :)

Zach: change the subject of the thread to include "Postponed".
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Well, there's a slight snag to all that - since TJ wasn't cancelled and rescheduled until last weekend, there wasn't time to get a guarantee of enough rooms from the nefarious UMD scheduling department. I suppose depending on field size it's reasonably safe to assume we can squat Sunday in Jimenez, and I wouldn't be averse to doing so. We'd held off announcing the date change since we're trying to get a bead on what kind of attendance boost it would add and whether or not that would be logistically manageable. If people don't mind relocating up the stairs once or twice between rounds, it's probably doable, and might be preferable given the developments with SCT.

In theory I guess it's also possible to loan our Saturday reservations to the GMU team and just host everything at Maryland. I wouldn't imagine that GMU could get all of their staffers over to UMD and I don't know that having them at the same location would really be that preferable (even if you're getting a hotel, GMU and Maryland are only about 45 minutes apart), but I thought I'd offer.

Let me check into the feasibility of moving things to Sunday. Personally I don't find having SCT on the 27th monumentally less convenient than doing it on the 20th, but it seems like other teams would, and that's obviously a problem.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Important Bird Area

DumbJaques wrote:Personally I don't find having SCT on the 27th monumentally less convenient than doing it on the 20th, but it seems like other teams would, and that's obviously a problem.
Given the choice we'd prefer sooner rather than later (gives everyone another week to plan for ICT).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Matt Weiner wrote:VCU is not hosting SCT or Regionals. Maryland is hosting Regionals, and is about 60 miles further away from Pittsburgh than Columbus is. I understand that the extra hour can make a difference in whether you go the morning of or not, and I hope all of these issues are taken into account.
Yeah, the main problem would be that in order for this to make sense, we would still have to stay overnight to attend both SCT and Regionals - not a problem with me, but multiple people on the team are only able to do Regionals if we day trip it.

Just to throw possibilities out there - would either Feb. 14 (Valentine's Day, so probably not) or Feb. 28 work? I think either of these would be doable for CMU.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Important Bird Area

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/6/10 at George Mason POSTPONED

The 14th is the T-Party mirror at VCU, so that's out.

In general, we'd like to avoid Sundays if possible.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Personally I don't find having SCT on the 27th monumentally less convenient than doing it on the 20th, but it seems like other teams would, and that's obviously a problem.
Given the choice we'd prefer sooner rather than later (gives everyone another week to plan for ICT).
Also on the list of "things that give everyone more time to plan for ICT": formally announcing the location of ICT.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

Clearly this will happen before bids are announced; I would guess early next week, once we're recovered from SCT a bit.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rikku

Just to confirm this tournament will still happen at Mason on 2/20 with ACF Regionals the next day being held at UMD.
Zach Foster
DumbJaques

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/20/10 at Maryland

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, well someone edited the title to say that it's being held at Maryland.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Important Bird Area

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/20/10

I just edited the title back again because:

1. We're ready to announce the date

2. We're not ready to announce the site. I expect that to happen soon; once this is official on naqt.com I will fix it here too.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote:It appears that, apparently, Penn won't be sending a Div I team to Sectionals. Hopefully the younger players will get a Div II team together or something.
Looks like we'll be there after all.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Important Bird Area

DumbJaques wrote:Ok, well someone edited the title to say that it's being held at Maryland.
This is now official, so it's back in the title.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

CMU will have a DI team here, but DII is looking pretty unlikely. Should we be using the naqt website to register?
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Important Bird Area

Yes. (here)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Nsidduri
Kimahri

Post by Nsidduri »

GWU is interested in this tournament, but we're still not sure who can attend. I'll have a better idea if we can get a full team by Thursday.
Nishanth Sidduri
GWU '11
Nsidduri
Kimahri

Post by Nsidduri »

Okay GWU's now registered for this tourney under DII.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Are you guys interested in sticking around for Regionals?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

We have to drop our DII team, I would change this on the NAQT website but apparently what I choose as my password is not what I remember.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Important Bird Area

The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:We have to drop our DII team, I would change this on the NAQT website but apparently what I choose as my password is not what I remember.
Just made this change myself.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

madmsk
Kimahri

Post by madmsk »

Hey I sent an e-mail to the original poster saying that NCSU would like to sign up for a DII team but haven't gotten a response back. Is it too late to sign up?

User was warned for lacking a signature.
John Hanna
NC State 2012
Important Bird Area

madmsk wrote:Is it too late to sign up?
No. Please register here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

NC Wesleyan is still bringing 1 Div II team and I am still reading; I don't think I needed to post this but just in case.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
hokiehistorian
Lulu

Post by hokiehistorian »

Virginia Tech will not be sending a team. My apologies for the inconvenience.
Bryan Roper

Virginia Tech
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey everyone,

Regrettably, I've now received four emails wanting start times and details for this event. While I look forward to facing those same listening skills when we play against each other at SCT tomorrow, someone should probably post something here - Zach, please correct this if these details are not what you had in mind:

Room 0301 in Jimenez Hall has been reserved as the meeting room. I presume start time will be around 9:00, so you should probably show up before then.

Additionally, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A BASKETBALL GAME TOMORROW. Maryland is hosting Georgia Tech at 2:00 pm, and parking restrictions will be in effect. This shouldn't really effect this event since I can't imagine you'd be parking in lots 4, 6, 9, or 11 anyway - Lot 1 remains both open and the best bet for Jimenez. Please don't park in any of those other lots unless you like long walks through dirty snow and violently dislike your vehicle.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to email someone who is not me (I recommend Zach Foster).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:We have to drop our DII team, I would change this on the NAQT website but apparently what I choose as my password is not what I remember.
The same thing with my password is happening to me. We also need to drop our DII team, but I cannot access the website.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Important Bird Area

I went ahead and deleted the registrations for Carnegie Mellon B and Virginia Tech.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rikku

People please be at Jimenez Hall no later than 8:45 AM (if you get there at 9 AM I will be unhappy, though you will probably still will be able to play). Since I do not attend the University of Maryland, I would suggest following Chris's advice on parking.
Zach Foster
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I came out of the woodwork to help out at this tournament, and I ended up running stats. Anyway, some quick results:

Division 1: Six teams played a double round robin. The fifth and sixth teams played twice, and the top four teams (Penn, Maryland A, VCU, and Virginia) played a mini-round robin. As of this moment, Penn (10-3) and Maryland A (9-4) are playing a best-of-three final for the championship. There were less than three undergrad teams in D1, so there was no undergraduate title awarded. The top three scorers were Evan from VCU (89.62 ppg), Chris from Maryland A (80.42), and Trevor from Carnegie Mellon (78.33).

Division 2: Eight teams played a double round robin. William & Mary won with a record of 13-1. Maryland B was second at 11-3 and George Washington was third at 10-4. The top three scorers were Alex from Maryland B (66.07 ppg), Adam from NC Wesleyan (64.29), and Cody from Roanoke (47.50).

Full results will hopefully be posted before the end of the weekend.
Daniel Greenstein
University of Maryland (2000-2004)
Eleanor Roosevelt High School (1998-2000)
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Maryland beat Penn twice in an advantaged final to win the tournament.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Important Bird Area

Pilgrim wrote:Maryland beat Penn twice in an advantaged final to win the tournament.
Attn: whoever has the scoresheets from this advantaged final. Please contact me with data from said scoresheets.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I have the scores from those games, Jeff, if they got lost in the. . . unfortunate business. I'm pretty sure I've got complete stats for both teams.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Important Bird Area

Thanks, Chris. Please drop me an email with the stat lines.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF