NAQT SCT Canada 2010

Old college threads.
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Re: NAQT SCT Canada 2010

Post by MicroEStudent »

adosreme wrote: Also, I personally know that I take a fair number of trips down to the US and could always use some extra American cash. If it's okay with Jay et. al., I would be willing to bring some Canadian money with me and exchange it with people (using whatever exchange rate Google gives that day), since it would probably be a better deal for both parties involved than going to a bank (of course, we'd probably have to discuss this ahead of time so I know how much I should be bringing with me) .
That would be good with me. I would be in the market to change around $30 or $40 US into Canadian (lunch money for our three person team).
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Senator_Jay wrote: I'm attempting to strike a deal with parking right now whereby teams would receive vouchers for a discounted rate, so you'd only be paying $3 for the day instead of $5.
While the $2 difference would be nice, $5 is still incredibly reasonable after we spend $38 to park at Penn Bowl Trash.

Also, we are driving up the morning of the tournament, so we will do our best to get there for 8:30, but if there happens to be a delay at the border, I would appreciate a phone number so we could call you to let you know.
Nathaniel Kane
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

sds wrote:I assume it'll be a full round robin for both divisions (?)
Also, does anyone have an idea of how many undergrad DI teams will be present? We've got the one.
One of Toronto's two D1 teams will be undergraduate.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

How's the weather forecast look for the weekend? I've been told that Buffalo is going to get slammed with 1-2 feet of snow, which would make driving up there Friday night not exactly a good idea.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:How's the weather forecast look for the weekend? I've been told that Buffalo is going to get slammed with 1-2 feet of snow, which would make driving up there Friday night not exactly a good idea.
The storm is going to hit further south than Buffalo.

The worst weather I see is flurries for Buffalo:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=14201

Hamilton looks like it will be dry:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/71263.html
Nathaniel Kane
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

The Weather Network seems to be predicting all clear too!
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey all...so tomorrow is SCT! At final check, we have 11 DI teams, and 11 DII teams; this includes 5 DI Undergrad elegible teams. That being said, once everyone arrives tomorrow (between 8:30 and 9:00!), and after we play a bunch of games starting from 9:30, if needed there can be an advantaged final in the event of ties, etc, and also to sort out the DI Undergrad winner. We have a pretty large and diverse field this year, it should be a lot of fun. We've got water and candy throughout the day, and although we don't have any trophies, we do have some half-decent prizes to give out. Anyways, if anyone needs any help finding McMaster, or gets lost, or anything else, my cell number is (905) 869-8663. Be warned though that reception is horrible in the Student Center (where we are playing, on the 2nd floor), so if I don't pick up the first time, it's not because I'm ignoring you. Also, teams should be notified that it's best to come onto campus via the Sterling St. entrance, and park in either Lot B or Lot C. It's a $5 flat rate/day, and the Student Center (MUSC) is the large yellow building with a rounded face right in front of Lot B. Here's a link to the campus map: http://www.mcmaster.ca/welcome/campusmap.cfm

Well, have a safe trip, and hopefully I'll see you all tomorrow morning, bright and early!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Old Man of the Mountain wrote:
adosreme wrote: Also, I personally know that I take a fair number of trips down to the US and could always use some extra American cash. If it's okay with Jay et. al., I would be willing to bring some Canadian money with me and exchange it with people (using whatever exchange rate Google gives that day), since it would probably be a better deal for both parties involved than going to a bank (of course, we'd probably have to discuss this ahead of time so I know how much I should be bringing with me) .
That would be good with me. I would be in the market to change around $30 or $40 US into Canadian (lunch money for our three person team).
Aaron, just come up to me tomorrow morning before matches start. I'll be the big guy with the Jets hat on. I'll have $40 American to change, and the exchange rate is about 1 USD to 1.05 CAD so $42 CAD or so would work.
Nathaniel Kane
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

10 Division 1 teams (4 undergrad) and 11 Division 2 teams (1 exhibition) competed today at McMaster University.

Very brief results:

D1: 12-0 Toronto cleared the field by 3 games.
D1UG: 9-3 Michigan (2nd overall)
D2: Ottawa took both halves of the advantaged final over Waterloo, 360-310 and 325-320.

SQBS report is coming; likely tonight. Unless I fall asleep first.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
gentleunwashed
Kimahri

Post by gentleunwashed »

Thanks to Jay, and McMaster, and Andy, and all others who helped run the tournament, which I think ran pretty dang well.
- Empty flourishes and unsteady efforts for glory

Jeremy, Guelph
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

This was a very well run tournament. Our team had fun, even if we didn't perform that well.
Nathaniel Kane
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Aaron, just come up to me tomorrow morning before matches start. I'll be the big guy with the Jets hat on. I'll have $40 American to change, and the exchange rate is about 1 USD to 1.05 CAD so $42 CAD or so would work.
Hey, sorry I didn't end up finding you. I was the moderator who was slowly going mute as the day went on.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:11 Division 2 teams (1 exhibition) competed today at McMaster University.
Wait, I thought NAQT was strictly disallowing exhibition teams at SCT's? At least, that's what R. Hentzel told me, and I had to turn away an exhibition team from our tiny little SCT. Has the policy changed now?
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

This was a DII team that was discovered during play to have an ineligible player (not an exhibition team approved in advance).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

adosreme wrote:
Hey, sorry I didn't end up finding you. I was the moderator who was slowly going mute as the day went on.
It's okay. The ATM actually accepted my card in the Student Union. I had called my bank yesterday and apparently they block all ATM transactions out of the US by default and I changed that.
Nathaniel Kane
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Thank you all for coming out to McMaster today and making this a great SCT! I'm quite happy with how things went today, and I'm glad to see that teams enjoyed themselves and got home all right (as far as we know...). Also, congrats to UofT, Michigan, and UofO for qualifying for ICT!
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Thanks for hosting! The tournament ran pretty quickly, and we got back home as early as we have all year after playing plenty of rounds.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Does anyone know when the tournament results / NAQT D-values will be posted? Thanks
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Important Bird Area

We'll start posting stats this week (many of the hosts have already posted preliminary results). The D-values can't actually be converted until the Mid-Atlantic SCT takes place.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Thanks to Jay and the entire McMaster team for hosting this. Despite the fact that our team was super tired all day, I really enjoyed this tournament. Congratulations also go to Toronto A for their win.

Though I thought the moderating in DI was fantastic, I heard some rumblings from our DII teams that the reading was less than excellent in some DII rooms, which is disappointing, considering the host club fielded two strong teams. Like I said though, I had a great time, and I thought everything in DI was run very smoothly.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Final Division 1 Standings:

1. Toronto A
2. Michigan A (UG)
3. McMaster A
4. Western Ontario (UG)
5. Toronto B
6. Case Western (UG)
7. Rochester (UG)
8. Guelph A
9. Ottawa A
10. RIT

Division 1 stats:
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (without tiebreakers)

Division 2 stats:
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (prelims, includes Queen's)
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (without Queen's, includes tiebreakers and finals) - teams are in order of final standing in these standings.

Stats for both divisions including tiebreakers and finals have been sent to NAQT.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey all, I'd like to give a big round of applause to all those teams who came out to McMaster on Saturday to help make the 2010 SCT a huge success! Of course, there were some small snags here and there, but all in all I feel that the day went smoothly considering the size and variety of the field. I'd like to congratulate our winners, University of Toronto (DI), University of Michigan (DI UG), and University of Ottawa (DII), and I'd like to thank all of our volunteer moderators and scorekeepers, and our statskeeper Andy Saunders for his great job helping manage the tournament and producing the below results, which are found on his website. The official stats on NAQT's website will be up soon, but for now, content yourselves with the ones Andy has posted above. Anyways, thanks again for many good games on Saturday, and I look forward to seeing many of you at upcoming tournaments!
Jay Misuk

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Thank you for hosting. It was my last tournament (as a student, at least), and I was happy to be able to putter around. My better years may be behind me, but I was pleased to see the younger Ottawa players play well - that win was completely unexpected. They're going to be very busy in the weeks ahead if an ICT trip is planned!
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I too would like to thank McMaster for hosting. They did a pretty good job keeping things moving so that everyone would get out at a decent hour. The D1 mods were all pretty solid. A couple of them were a little nonchalant about transitioning from bonuses to tossups, but that's probably the biggest complaint I had.

Also, congrats to Toronto and Michigan. They were definately the class of the field by far. Best of luck at ICT guys.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:Final Division 1 Standings:

1. Toronto A
2. Michigan A (UG)
3. McMaster A
4. Western Ontario (UG)
5. Toronto B
6. Case Western (UG)
7. Rochester (UG)
8. Guelph A
9. Ottawa A
10. RIT

Division 1 stats:
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (without tiebreakers)

Division 2 stats:
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (prelims, includes Queen's)
http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2010/2 ... dings.html (without Queen's, includes tiebreakers and finals) - teams are in order of final standing in these standings.

Stats for both divisions including tiebreakers and finals have been sent to NAQT.
Hey Andy, just a typo to address, my teammate's name is Chris Shea, not Chris Shen.
Nathaniel Kane
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

This is not a complaint of any sort, but in the DII final stats (without Queens and with tiebreakers), the stats incorrectly say we played full games against Ottawa B and McMaster, when really we played 1/2 games. I don't know if this affects our D-value or anything...

Thanks to McMaster for putting on a great tournament. Most of the DII readers were very good and the tournament went pretty well as far as time. I think we made it back to Ann Arbor before midnight for once.
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
Important Bird Area

Certainly won't change the rate stats at all. Should it adjust the order of finish? I doubt it, since they are all tiebreakers among teams with the same record. Dwight: is there a complicated scenario I'm missing here?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Certainly won't change the rate stats at all. Should it adjust the order of finish? I doubt it, since they are all tiebreakers among teams with the same record. Dwight: is there a complicated scenario I'm missing here?
It doesn't effect order of finish, just individual / team stats (I believe).
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13