NAQT registration system help thread

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT registration system help thread

Post by Important Bird Area »

The links to register for SCT are (mostly) active here.

Post in this thread if you have questions about how to use it or find a way to make it crash. R. and I will make appropriate changes. Alternatively, you can email us: [email protected]
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Re: NAQT registration system help thread

Post by Ondes Martenot »

When will registration for the MIT site be open?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Important Bird Area

The "near future" according to R.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

How do I edit a player's name? There are players imported from last year's stats with names like "Sally NULL".
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:How do I edit a player's name? There are players imported from last year's stats with names like "Sally NULL".
Send an e-mail to [email protected] with the corrections before or after you add those players to your teams; we'll update our database (and the registration, if applicable).

More generally, anybody should feel free to look his or her school up here:

http://www.naqt.com/stats/school-search.jsp

and click on "Players" and then send us corrections (spelling, duplicated players, incorrect years of affiliation, and so on.)
R. Robert Hentzel, National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Is there some reason why buzzers and clocks per team are capped at 1 each? VCU has seven buzzers and four clocks, but it seems like a lot of effort to lug them all to Knoxville when we're not going to get any discount; conversely, given the persistent equipment shortages at various events lately, I don't understand why NAQT would require/allow Sectionals hosts to turn away perfectly good hardware.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Matt Weiner wrote:Is there some reason why buzzers and clocks per team are capped at 1 each?
I was able to register multiple clocks. It's probably a bug rather than a discount policy.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

Matt Weiner wrote:Is there some reason why buzzers and clocks per team are capped at 1 each? VCU has seven buzzers and four clocks, but it seems like a lot of effort to lug them all to Knoxville when we're not going to get any discount; conversely, given the persistent equipment shortages at various events lately, I don't understand why NAQT would require/allow Sectionals hosts to turn away perfectly good hardware.
NAQT has always allowed Sectionals to set their individual discount policy (beyond the required "New School" and "Multiple Team") discounts. Different Sectionals have chosen to allow unlimited discounts for equipment or to cap them at their discretion (and those differences should be reflected on the registration pages and in the generated invoices).

A discount probably indicates that the host is confident of having enough equipment; if that turns out not to be the case, I would expect that cap to be lifted and teams attending that Sectional notified. It might not hurt to let the tournament director know in advance that you have a lot of buzzers (or clocks, or staffers, or whatever) and would be bring more if the discount were extended.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Is player composition flexible? For example, an A team player drops out at the last minute because of illness, so a B team player switches to fill the spot (all done after the online form is complete but before the tournament begins, of course).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

bsmith wrote:Is player composition flexible? For example, an A team player drops out at the last minute because of illness, so a B team player switches to fill the spot (all done after the online form is complete but before the tournament begins, of course).
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: If at all possible, we would like for you to update the online form (which can be done at any time prior to the start of the tournament), but even if that doesn't happen, you can make changes to your teams right up until the tournament begins.
Important Bird Area

aarcoh wrote:When will registration for the MIT site be open?
Now.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Bumping with a quick note about the "team name" field on the registration page. Your school should be automatically listed above, so the only text that goes under team name is the letter (A, B, C, etc.) Please leave this field blank if you're only registering one team. (And don't worry if you make a mistake; I'll be going through and fixing these when we get closer to the tournament.)

Next year R. will write some code that automatically designates these...
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Bump. Anyone have issues with SCT registration I can help resolve?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

So you know - I kept getting errors when trying to update multiple text fields at once (ended up having to enter things one by one and hitting update each time).

Also, not a serious issue - but why does year in school start with kindergarten? Are we going to see Div VIII or something in the future?
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Important Bird Area

I'll inform R. about the multiple-fields thing. And it's probably safe for us to drop the grades below high school...
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I managed to break the system: I accidentally claimed one too many buzzer discounts, so I went back to fix it and when I updated it, I got a long string of code. The problem was when I changed from 1 buzzer system to 0, since when I changed the other set from 2 buzzers to 1 things worked fine.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Important Bird Area

I just let R. know (I have no power or ability to fix long strings of code).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Jeff,

I sent an email to errata@naqt but didn't see in this thread that you asked for issues to be sent to register@naqt. Not sure if they wind up in the same inbox, so I'm just posting this here:

I just registered Georgia Tech and the invoice said that I'd claimed travel discounts (in fact, it gave us the -10, the -20, AND the -30) when I'd done no such thing. I am positive I didn't click the Add button to add a new discount or penalty, much less even select the travel discount from the drop-down at all.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Important Bird Area

I just checked your registration and didn't see the travel discounts, so maybe this is ok... but I'll ask R. just in case.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF