Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament (3/6/10)

Old college threads.
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament (3/6/10)

Post by Papa's in the House »

This is an announcement for the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament, which will be held at UIUC on March 6, 2010. We will be mirroring the MUT set, so see here for further information.

This tournament will be held at David Kinley Hall (DKH) which is located on Gregory Street, just east of Sixth Street. The full address is:
1407 W Gregory St.
Urbana, IL 61801
A map of the location can be found here. As a reference, the main library is immediately north of DKH.
Tournament central will be in Room 114 (first floor, big lecture room). This is where you should start and end the day. It is also where you can go to have questions answered.

There is ample parking in the area including lot E-3 which is right next to the main library and less than 5 minutes from DKH.

Who can play this tournament?
You are eligible to play this tournament if you meet the ACF DII Guidelines. Specifically:

A "Division II" player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, has never played at ACF Nationals, and meets either or both of the following conditions:
1 The player graduated from high school in an academic year year two or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place
2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year one year prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.

OR

NATIONALS CRITERION: If you have ever played at ACF Nationals, you are no longer Division II-eligible. Yes, this includes people who played ACF Nationals in high school.

DEGREE CRITERION: If you graduate (receive a BA or BS degree or equivalent) during the 2008-2009 academic year, or have not graduated by the time of the tournament, then you meet the degree criterion. If you received a BA or BS or equivalent in summer semester 2008 or earlier, you are not Division II-eligible. In other words: Division II eligibility is a subset of Undergraduate eligibility; you must be Undergraduate-eligible in order to be Division II-eligible.

TIME CRITERION: If you graduated from high school in 2008 or later, you meet the time criterion. If you didn't play any regular collegiate or open academic tournaments before fall 2008, then you meet the time criterion. You only have to meet one of those tests, not both--if you graduated from high school in 2004 but didn't start playing quizbowl until 2009, you are fine. Conversely, if you've been playing collegiate tournaments since you were 12 but you didn't actually graduate from high school until 2008, you're also fine.

I have taken the following from the aforementioned forum. If you are interested in writing a packet, see the MUT forum to find out what the distribution is.

"What kind of difficulty can I expect?
MUT 2010 will be in line with other novice tournaments such as recent incarnations of ACF Fall and past incarnations of MUT.

Is Packet Submission Required?
Any team attending any mirror may submit a packet, but is not required to do so. We encourage enthusiastic teams to submit packets; it helps us get a good feel of what young writers are thinking of, and allows us to reevaluate our own perceptions of difficulty, viability of answer choices, etc.

If I Do Submit A Packet, Can I Get Discounts?
Absolutely. The discount schedule is as follows:

Packet received by 01/10/2010: $50 discount.
Packet received by 01/24/2010: $25 discount.
Packet received by 02/07/2010: $10 discount.

Can I Write A Half Packet Instead Of A Full Packet?
You certainly can. The discount schedule remains the same as above, and the amount of discount offered will simply be halved.

My Team Has Never Written A Packet Before, And We Would Like to Explore The Possibility Of Writing A Packet. Is Minnesota Quizbowl Willing To Help Us Out?
Absolutely. Feel free to email Gautam Kandlikar ([email protected]) regarding what you're comfortable with, and we can try to work something out.

Costs and other discounts
Base fee: $100
Buzzer discount: -$5
Moderator: -$10
Travel: -$10 if over 200 miles by" Mapquest

Side Events
We will be running Trashtwostrophe after this tournament. The preliminary announcement can be seen here. We intend this to be run as a doubles tournament for all those who are still blind to the packet. Anyone can play Trashtwostrophe, so long as they meet this stipulation and we have enough moderators. If you would like to play this set, indicate so either in this thread or here. You do not need to attend MCMNT in order to play Trashtwostrophe, though the intent is that you play both of these tournaments.

Trashtwostrophe will cost $10 per person.

Contact Information
If you wish to attend this tournament, or if you have any questions about it, you can e-mail the Tournament Director, me, at [email protected]. Please inform me as to the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you intend to bring, as well as whether or not you believe you qualify for the travel discount.

Periodic updates will be made (as necessary). For a list of teams intending on attending, see the post below this one.

EDIT: Eligibility changed to keep consistent with historical iterations of MCMNT and fixed(/fixing) various formatting issues/whatnot. Updated some dates. Updated the building location. Trashtwostrophe fees added (3/1/10).
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 am, edited 9 times in total.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Re: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament (3/6/10)

See post on 3/1/10
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:31 am, edited 19 times in total.
Charles Martin Jr.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

NIU will likely send a team; if we do, I'll likely be able to moderate (both MCMNT and Trashtwostrophe).
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Harding will be represented by, umm, me.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

Missouri State will likely send a team.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
kfisher
Kimahri

Post by kfisher »

Eureka College will likely send 1 team. Thanks for hosting this mirror!
Kelly Fisher, MSLIS
Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach
Eureka College
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Put down College of DuPage as a maybe as i still need to recruit people.. if not it will just be me and my friend going.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

We're thinking about coming, just to make your field list ambiguous. Definitely maybe, but its the beginning of our spring break, so it's a ?
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'll be playing this.

Edit: I'll also staff trash2strophe. And, I hate to always ask, but can I get some sort of discount given my situation?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Dan-Don wrote:I'll be playing this.

Edit: I'll also staff trash2strophe. And, I hate to always ask, but can I get some sort of discount given my situation?
Contact me via email and we'll work it out. Will you be solo or with miscellaneous friends?
Charles Martin Jr.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

You can put us in the maybe column.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Notre Dame will most likely have a team at this.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

You can put us in the "maybe" column - we'll be playing MUT, and there's a 35-40% chance it'll be at this site.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

TIME CRITERION: If you graduated from high school in 2007 or later, you meet the time criterion. If you didn't play any regular collegiate or open academic tournaments before fall 2007, then you meet the time criterion. You only have to meet one of those tests, not both--if you graduated from high school in 2003 but didn't start playing quizbowl until 2008, you are fine. Conversely, if you've been playing collegiate tournaments since you were 12 but you didn't actually graduate from high school until 2007, you're also fine.
This doesn't seem consistent with the Division 2 rules. Greg Peterson has been playing in collegiate tournaments with Lawrence for more than 2 years, but graduated high school in 2007.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:
TIME CRITERION: If you graduated from high school in 2007 or later, you meet the time criterion. If you didn't play any regular collegiate or open academic tournaments before fall 2007, then you meet the time criterion. You only have to meet one of those tests, not both--if you graduated from high school in 2003 but didn't start playing quizbowl until 2008, you are fine. Conversely, if you've been playing collegiate tournaments since you were 12 but you didn't actually graduate from high school until 2007, you're also fine.
This doesn't seem consistent with the Division 2 rules. Greg Peterson has been playing in collegiate tournaments with Lawrence for more than 2 years, but graduated high school in 2007.
I had copied this directly from last year's MCMNT. I have subsequently updated the dates in my original post so that they are now one year later (i.e., 2007 became 2008, etc.).
Charles Martin Jr.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:
Missed that, even with the typo - I'm eligible for MUT, figured I'd be eligible for a mirror of MUT. I was wrong, so change that "35-40%" to "0%."

Also, just "Greg" is fine.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Just Greg wrote:Also, just "Greg" is fine.
Hope you don't run into Unjust Greg; he's a pretty bad dude!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

It's probably safe to scratch Missouri State from this tournament.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Papa's in the House
Tidus

As we are now less than a month away, I'd like to remind everyone of MCMNT. The current field is much smaller than I'd like to see. For those who have already indicated some interest, note that the location of the tournament has changed from Gregory Hall to David Kinley Hall (details found in my first post).
Charles Martin Jr.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Would an open high school team be permitted to play?
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Dan-Don wrote:Would an open high school team be permitted to play?
So long as they meet the criterion established in my first post, specifically:
Frazer Yeats wrote: 2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year one year prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.
Liberties will be taken as to the name of their team, though.
Charles Martin Jr.
Papa's in the House
Tidus

I have updated the field again. We're still looking for more people to come play. Also, if you're playing MCMNT and plan to play Trashtwostrophe, send me an email or post in this thread indicating so.
Charles Martin Jr.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

It's looking increasingly unlikely that NIU will attend - the current number of interested people is 0 and falling. (Even if we do attend, we can't play Trashtwostrophe as we hosted it - everyone's already heard the set.)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

I wouldn't mind playing Trashtwostrophe - count me in.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Put Ohio State down for two teams.
JDurst
Ohio State
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Ok, I'm gonna be playing on an open high school team then. It will be me, Nolan Winkler, Marcel Youkhna, and a surprise guest. We wrote a half-packet and will take any other discounts we can get.
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Dan-Don wrote:Ok, I'm gonna be playing on an open high school team then. It will be me, Nolan Winkler, Marcel Youkhna, and a surprise guest. We wrote a half-packet and will take any other discounts we can get.
What fun name do you have for this coalition?
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Hey,

So, four guys from Notre Dame who want to play in this. This tournament is over our (laughably early) spring break, and so they will all be heading home. Two of them live not in Chicago, and would be able to get themselves to this tournament. The other two live in Chicagoland, and are unable to transport themselves to/from UIUC. Is anyone coming from the chicago area who might have room in a vehicle? I think my email address is near my name somewhere.

Thanks,

Bryce
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
Papa's in the House
Tidus

The cost will be what I outlined in the email to Nolan. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me an email. Circuit U might be making an appearance at MCMNT, but I'll have to look in to this issue when I have an actual computer in front of me. I do not know of anyone besides Circuit U that might be coming down from Chicago, so the Notre Dame students there might have to obtain outside transportation.
Charles Martin Jr.
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Assuming Mike P is driving down with his friend, Wheaton is pretty close to where I think at least one of those frosh ND Chicagoland guys are from. Maybe you dudes could work something out.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Halakis wrote:Assuming Mike P is driving down with his friend, Wheaton is pretty close to where I think at least one of those frosh ND Chicagoland guys are from. Maybe you dudes could work something out.
I'm up for it if he doesn't mind squeezing into my saturn ion. If you could have the guys email me their addresses that'd be great.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

evilmonkey wrote:Hey,The other two live in Chicagoland, and are unable to transport themselves to/from UIUC. Is anyone coming from the chicago area who might have room in a vehicle?
Is one of them Sean Koller?
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Hey, you can go ahead and move Notre Dame into definitely attending.

Dan: As of now, Sean Koller is not attending. Although to be fair I only just now sent out the general club email, and the current team consists of the four Illinois-area guys who I remembered to tell during the SCT trip.

Mike: You'll be hearing from the guys who need rides soon.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Frazer Yeats wrote:2010.02.21 MCMNT Field Update

Attending
Harding x 1
The Missing ACF Regionals liveblog x 1
SCC x 1
College of DuPage x 1
Eureka x 1
OSU x 2
Mineral Area College x 1
Chicago x 1 (2 or more?)
So..who are "Missing ACF Regs..." and SCC? Also, is Mineral Area College a real team? And is Chicago UChicago? We'll be playing under the name [redacted]. If Wash U attends, is Charles Hang eligible?
Last edited by Dan-Don on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Dan-Don wrote:Dan Donohue Center for Women Who Can't Coach Good and Want Their Teams to Suffer Too
Oh wow... :lol:
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Dan-Don wrote:
Frazer Yeats wrote:2010.02.21 MCMNT Field Update

Attending
Harding x 1
The Missing ACF Regionals liveblog x 1
SCC x 1
College of DuPage x 1
Eureka x 1
OSU x 2
Mineral Area College x 1
Chicago x 1 (2 or more?)
So..who are "Missing ACF Regs..." and SCC? Also, is Mineral Area College a real team? And is Chicago UChicago? We'll be playing under the name Dan Donohue Center for Women Who Can't Coach Good and Want Their Teams to Suffer Too. If Wash U attends, is Charles Hang eligible?
I'm not wholly sure, but I know Mineral is a real team, SCC seems to be close enough to "Saint Charles Community College", and Chicago is probably UChicago. Charles can correct me if I'm wrong on any of those.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I'm not the Charles Craig has in mind, but I can confirm that SCC is St. Charles Community College (which I will be playing for along with my teammates). WUSTL will be a variety of freshmen and other novice players from the St. Louis area (since we have our Spring Break that weekend), while Mineral Area is the other CC which goes to tournaments in Missouri. I have no clue who ACF Regionals liveblog is (I would guess it's the high school open team?), and I would imagine that Chicago is indeed UChicago.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Charbroil wrote:(which I will be playing for along with my teammates).
:aaa:
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Will UIUC have a house team?
Papa's in the House
Tidus

The Missing ACF Regionals liveblog is the open high school team. SCC is indeed St. Charles; Chicago is U of Chicago; Mineral Area College is a real college (CC). At this time, I do not know if we will have a house team. This decision will be made once I have confirmations from all (potential) attendees, once I have figured out who has written packets and how this will impact the schedule, and once I have my final count of moderators. Emails are currently being sent out to Gautam to figure out the packet situation and I will send emails within 48 hours to all teams that are listed as "Attending." Charles, if you can get me the email address of Gordon from Wash U and if MSU and DePauw can confirm if they are attending or not (either in this thread or via email to me) I would appreciate it. I apologize for my delay in response(s).
Charles Martin Jr.
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Centre would like to register one team for this tournament.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Dan-Don wrote:We'll be playing under the name [redacted].
It has become necessary to change my team's pseudonym. Charles has received an email about this issue. Any new pseudonyms, however similar to the original, are not my idea and do not bear my name and are therefore not an attack on any person or instituion that I have ever encountered.

EDIT: Quotage.
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Hey, I've got a handful of dorm friends that want to play my trashtwostrophe set, so write down "friends of Jeff" for two spots, I guess.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:It has become necessary to change my team's pseudonym.
One would think that educators had better things to do than lurk fora that have nothing to do with them, then falsely accuse posters on them of libel (false accusations which, according to my understanding, constitute slander), all to prolong an unreasonable vendetta against a student who has been deliberately avoiding all evitable interaction with the team that wronged him, precisely so as to prevent such conflicts as those educators are inciting. These actions would lead a reasonable observer to question whether those people taking such vindictive, unreasonable actions ought to have any role as teachers or administrators responsible for discipline. The people in question should be ashamed of themselves.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Papa's in the House
Tidus

The fields have been updated above.

That being said, my email will be sent out shortly.

EDIT: Irrelevant or non-essential (at this time) information removed.
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Martin Jr.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I know perfectly well what the definitions of libel and slander are, and I used them correctly. I even looked up the Illinois statutes regarding the two. In this case, it would be slander, because the administrators have only (to anyone's knowledge) spoken the false accusations; if they have been written down, they have certainly not been published. I also know what a powerful motivator revenge can be; that doesn't make their (proposed) motivation and actions any less unreasonable.

If the administrators of that school want to make a Big Thing of this, they can contact me. They haven't got a leg to stand on.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Could you children kindly move on from jacking this tournament thread?

The Management
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Papa's in the House
Tidus

An email (or PM for those whose email addresses I do not have) has been sent. If you did not receive an email (or you received a PM in lieu of an email), please send me an email at [email protected].
Charles Martin Jr.
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

The two Notre Dame kids going down should email me for info soon because we're going down on Friday afternoon to meet some friends and that's when they would have to catch a ride down.

EDIT: Actually could you clarify if there are 1 or 2 going down? I still have no idea.
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Generic Illinois Poster #205 wrote:The two Notre Dame kids going down should email me for info soon because we're going down on Friday afternoon to meet some friends and that's when they would have to catch a ride down.

EDIT: Actually could you clarify if there are 1 or 2 going down? I still have no idea.
So, we're still working this out, but it looks like I'll probably end up driving them, and I'll probably staff this tournament (I don't know how else I would spend my time).
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15