ANNOUNCEMENT: ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament)

Old college threads.
goblue16
Lulu

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament)

Post by goblue16 »

sds wrote:I'm fully prepared to help organize a guerrilla tournament if need be.
If I am driving to Canada, this thing is going to happen. Viva la Revolucion!
Scot Putzig
Michigan 2010
Notre Dame Law 2013
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll probably try to contribute at least a half packet to whatever tournament ends up happening.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

sds wrote:
bsmith wrote:There are travel reservations in place for the Ottawa contingent for this tournament, so it will be happening in some form or another.
Ditto for the Michigan contingent; I already booked hotel rooms. I'm fully prepared to help organize a guerrilla tournament if need be.
Canadian guerilla tournament = bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.

I swear it's been tried a couple of times before too.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Will there be multimedia bonuses? Will we be identifying mysterious white powders by taste?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

tiwonge wrote:Will there be multimedia bonuses? Will we be identifying mysterious white powders by taste?
You're thinking of old VETO, which had that as part of its stated distribution.

If I do have to take over, I won't have a lot of free time, but I will check for major problems.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

fourplustwo wrote:
sds wrote:
bsmith wrote:There are travel reservations in place for the Ottawa contingent for this tournament, so it will be happening in some form or another.
Ditto for the Michigan contingent; I already booked hotel rooms. I'm fully prepared to help organize a guerrilla tournament if need be.
Canadian guerilla tournament = bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.

I swear it's been tried a couple of times before too.
But it would be an international guerrilla tournament.

It's obviously far too late to expect any mirrors to produce full packets, but is there any chance people would be willing to contribute half packets, say by the end of the month? It'd certainly help things along.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

I'm looking at organizing some form of high school team(s) contingent (e.g. Lisgar, UTS, Woburn). I've e-mailed Andy about requirements for pack writing/payments for high schoolers, but with no reply. Just a heads up for this board.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Still no news from Andy, but Chris confirmed the room reservations with me. If I take over:

I suspect that only 8 packets (and 8 teams?) are coming in for this tournament (3 Michigan, 4 "Ottawa", Waterloo + friends), so we could have an unusual schedule. There will definitely be teams reading on byes, so be patient with new readers.

I will use a base fee of $20 (per team), but I will honour the original packet discounts. $10 discount for buzzers. If your team's admission is less than $0, take from the proceeds so that it balances out. The remaining proceeds will likely cover printing. No prizes or other amenities.

If we do end up with only 8 packets organized by me, I encourage another person/group to look into the BELFAST arts tournament as a side event. That would give me something to play on the weekend. Staffing and buzzer status would be questionable, but you'd have up to 7 rooms at your disposal.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

We can bring 4 sets of Michigan buzzers; but it'd be nice if someone else could bring a set, as I'm not so confident about the fourth one.

I've emailed Tanay about mirroring BELFAST, and Dan-Don about mirroring VIOLATEDD. Between the three tournaments, we should be able to get a full day's worth of quiz bowl. I'd prefer to play VIOLATEDD, but am happy to organize/read for BELFAST.

We could just run this whole thing off laptops if no one's opposed. We save on printing costs, and Lily's electronic scoresheets are really easy to use.

Finally, I've got to clean off my shelves anyway, so I'll try and contribute some prizes.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

I can bring a buzzer set.

I'd like to play VIOLATEDD if it were to be run, but I could also help staff BELFAST if the need arose.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I would definitely like to play both VIOLATEDD and BELFAST. If we can schedule byes such that teams can also read, I would be more than happy to staff in that capacity.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

FYI, without Guelph insiders, the hallways to the rooms are only unlocked around 9:30 (so expect a 10 AM start), and the reservations were requested only to 6 PM. We will easily fit 8 rounds of a tournament in, but two side events may be pushing it.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

Waterloo can also provide one set of buzzers, if needed.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

bsmith wrote: I suspect that only 8 packets (and 8 teams?) are coming in for this tournament (3 Michigan, 4 "Ottawa", Waterloo + friends), so we could have an unusual schedule. There will definitely be teams reading on byes, so be patient with new readers.
Ben, I'd be interested in possibly obtaining those 8 packets from you in a mirroring arrangement, so could I get your email address via PM? Thanks.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Both VIOLATEDD and BELFAST will be happening. Each will be $5/person.

I'll take charge of BELFAST, and Libo is willing to run VIOLATEDD. We can figure out whether they'll be singles, doubles, triples, etc. based on who expresses interest the day of.

People who are interested in mirroring, would you be willing/able to contribute a packet that we can use for finals?
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

sds wrote: People who are interested in mirroring, would you be willing/able to contribute a packet that we can use for finals?
I'm still not 100% sure if we're going to be using this set, but I'll decide in the next couple of days. If so, then yes, I think that can be arranged.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

sds wrote:Both VIOLATEDD and BELFAST will be happening. Each will be $5/person.

I'll take charge of BELFAST, and Libo is willing to run VIOLATEDD. We can figure out whether they'll be singles, doubles, triples, etc. based on who expresses interest the day of.

People who are interested in mirroring, would you be willing/able to contribute a packet that we can use for finals?
I don't think we're going to get to play BELFAST at CULT, so I'm interested in that. Also whatever VIOLATEDD is, I'm in (except history).
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

adosreme wrote:
sds wrote:Both VIOLATEDD and BELFAST will be happening. Each will be $5/person.

I don't think we're going to get to play BELFAST at CULT, so I'm interested in that. Also whatever VIOLATEDD is, I'm in (except history).
VIOLATEDD is Dan Donohue's lit tournament. Link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8896
We'll probably have to decide between BELFAST and VIOLATEDD at the tournament.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

bsmith wrote:FYI, without Guelph insiders, the hallways to the rooms are only unlocked around 9:30 (so expect a 10 AM start), and the reservations were requested only to 6 PM. We will easily fit 8 rounds of a tournament in, but two side events may be pushing it.
Sorry, I somehow missed this earlier. Well, VIOLATEDD only has 6 packets, and BELFAST will have either 5 or 6. We can stick around and hope not to get kicked out, or attempt to move to a different location (is anyone planning on making hotel reservations for Saturday night?).

Alternately, depending on how many people actually want to play either, we could do some sort of giant singles free for all (the way that Mike Cheyne's MO lit tournament was run).

Let's just say for now that both will be available, and we'll play it by ear the day of.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Having thought about this, I wanted to volunteer to take over editing this tournament if no one really objects. We don't seem to have heard much from Andy, and Ben, I'd like to let you play your last tournament, and to me it doesn't really make that much difference whether I play or edit.

If I don't hear any objections by tomorrow, I'll plan on going ahead with this and post more about specifics.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Are people sending packets to Andy? If so, it'd be mildly amusing if come the day of the tournament, there were multiple sets built from the same submitted packets.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

nobthehobbit wrote:Are people sending packets to Andy? If so, it'd be mildly amusing if come the day of the tournament, there were multiple sets built from the same submitted packets.
I know that all the Michigan and Ottawa packets were sent, without reply.

For obvious reasons, I will accept Kurtis editing so that I can play. I can still make schedules and do stats, unless you want to run the whole thing.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

How are the UOttawa teams getting there? Is there any possibility of Lisgar people hitching a ride somewhere?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I'd like to play both side events, but I am willing to staff either/both if needed.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:How are the UOttawa teams getting there? Is there any possibility of Lisgar people hitching a ride somewhere?
Our cars are full. Brendan is taking Greyhound separately.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

bsmith wrote: I know that all the Michigan and Ottawa packets were sent, without reply.
Not ALL of them.

My stuff should be in on the 27th. I think if Sinan is writing, we're up to nine packets.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Obviously, I can't make any promises, but I'm like 99% sure that you wouldn't be kicked out if you stayed past 6pm. I think they clean the building at midnight, and there are barely any night classes (let alone night classes on Saturdays in the summer semester), so the chance that you even see someone else in MacKinnon on that day is virtually nil. Regardless, I've sent a message to our booking department requesting an extension of the reservation to 10pm.

I'm truly regret that I'm not able to make it, but if there's anything I can do to help this along, please feel free to let me know. I suppose that's directed at everyone, since this tournament appears to be a collective effort.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

A few notes about editing this tournament and what I'd like to do.

People who have already submitted packets, can you please send them to my email at [email protected]. If you have time to brush them up in the next couple of days, that'd be great, but ideally I'd like to have most of the packets in as early as possible to start editing (hopefully by tomorrow evening?). This isn't a concrete deadline or anything, it just makes my life a lot easier cause I'll have free time to get a lot of work done this weekend.

From what has been posted, so far there will be 8 packets, which is super awkward. Sinan, or people from high school, are you going to be writing a packet or a partial packet? Either way is fine, it's just so I know how much of an editors packet I have to write so that there can be 9 packets for this event. Hopefully, with 9 teams (4 Ottawa, 3 Michigan, Waterloo et. al, high school team), and people staffing on byes, this makes for a smooth round robin. I also hope to have two finals packets written for the tournament, but that may depend on how much time I have over the next two weeks.

One priority for me is to find a subject editor for science, as that's really the only subject I feel completely incompetent editing. If you'd be interested, please let me know; this job may also involve writing some science for editors/finals packets. If no one volunteers, I'll try to make an effort with the science myself, but this would severly decrease the likelihood of there being finals packets.

The fee structure will likely be similar to what Ben posted earlier. For the high schoolers, I know this is a concern. I'm willing to be lenient cause we'd really like you to have a ninth team at this event. Let me know, if you guys can come, what you think is a reasonable price given how much you're writing, and that should be fine.

Ben, it would be great if you could help out with schedules and other logistics. Also, if Andy does decide to wake up sometime, or has already done some editing and I'm going to be doing superfluous work, I encourage him to email me so that we can work something out. I don't mean to pull a coup here, but I think this tournament needs some action to happen soon if it's going to happen at all. Also, if anyone has questions, or I've made any errors in anything I've said here, let me know.
Kurtis Droge
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

So what's going on with this tournament? Is it really that hard to get Andy on here? You're not really helping Canada's reputation, man.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Kurtis et al. should be commended for being proactive here, but this is an appalling example of apparently attempting to run a quizbowl tournament by doing nothing.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

If there is no one else to do it I will, but I honestly can't promise more than some cursory work because of the other tournaments I'm editing/ two jobs I'm working/ short notice.
Andrew Watkins
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I might be able to help out a bit with editing. I can't promise much in science besides minor science, but I can help out in other areas.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

If things are dire, I can provide some assistance in the life sciences and fine arts departments.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

kdroge wrote:Sinan, or people from high school, are you going to be writing a packet or a partial packet?
Don't know where this rumour started but I wasn't planning on playing this tournament. No packet from over here.
One priority for me is to find a subject editor for science, as that's really the only subject I feel completely incompetent editing. If you'd be interested, please let me know;
I'll do it.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

kdroge wrote:Ben, it would be great if you could help out with schedules and other logistics.
I've still got 300-some pages of university printing to use up, so I can take care of schedules and scoresheets for people who aren't comfortable with the electronic ones. Ben, do you want to be in charge of stats?

Also, Chris, at some point, could we get the numbers of the rooms you've reserved?
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

sds wrote:
kdroge wrote:Ben, it would be great if you could help out with schedules and other logistics.
I've still got 300-some pages of university printing to use up, so I can take care of schedules and scoresheets for people who aren't comfortable with the electronic ones. Ben, do you want to be in charge of stats?

Also, Chris, at some point, could we get the numbers of the rooms you've reserved?
Yes, I can do stats (and told Kurtis this when I re-sent the packet). Paper scoresheets would be an easier option (since I wouldn't count on access to Guelph's wireless internet), but I still have piles of spare scoresheets from all the events Ottawa has hosted.

The opening meeting will be in Mackinnon, room 117. Hopefully we will be able to gather by 9:45 and be set up for playing by 10. The game rooms are on the second floor: 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232. I, unfortunately, do not know the parking situation, since I just leave my car at the hotel we stay at across the street.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:If there is no one else to do it I will, but I honestly can't promise more than some cursory work because of the other tournaments I'm editing/ two jobs I'm working/ short notice.
Damn right you can't.

I'm going to have to officially back out. Too much CO work and real life.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
firebat03
Lulu

Post by firebat03 »

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know that UTS already has a full team planning to go... we e-mailed Andy a while ago but got no reply. Anyway, we haven't written a pack, but we could probably put one together if need be.
-Josh, UTS
-Josh Alman, MIT '14
JaceTheMindSculptor
Lulu

Post by JaceTheMindSculptor »

Hopefully, Woburn will be able to field a team. What's gonna be the difficulty level for this tournament? Also, has a date been set? I can most likely attend, but we'll have to see about the others.
-Bosco L.

Woburn CI '10
University of Toronto '14 (for now)
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

JaceTheMindSculptor wrote:Hopefully, Woburn will be able to field a team. What's gonna be the difficulty level for this tournament? Also, has a date been set? I can most likely attend, but we'll have to see about the others.
The date is Saturday, July 10.

If you or others are interested in signing up as free agents, I know we have 1-2 spots open on Michigan teams.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

JaceTheMindSculptor wrote:Hopefully, Woburn will be able to field a team. What's gonna be the difficulty level for this tournament? Also, has a date been set? I can most likely attend, but we'll have to see about the others.
The target difficulty level is something a bit higher than ACF Fall, as per the original post. The 2009 ACF Fall set can be found here: http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/a ... FFall2009/.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

nobthehobbit wrote: The target difficulty level is something a bit higher than ACF Fall, as per the original post. The 2009 ACF Fall set can be found here: http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/a ... FFall2009/.
Speaking of which, could some of the packet submitters give me an idea as to how hard this might be? Is this hard tossups on ACF Fall level answers, or a regular difficulty answer selection? It would be nice for me to know, since I'm still figuring out if I want to mirror this or not.
Charles Hang

sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Charbroil wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote: The target difficulty level is something a bit higher than ACF Fall, as per the original post. The 2009 ACF Fall set can be found here: http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/a ... FFall2009/.
Speaking of which, could some of the packet submitters give me an idea as to how hard this might be? Is this hard tossups on ACF Fall level answers, or a regular difficulty answer selection? It would be nice for me to know, since I'm still figuring out if I want to mirror this or not.
It's worth noting that the new editing team may have a slightly different difficulty target, as it's hard to edit things down to Fall level, and there's not much time left.

Our packet, at least, tends towards harder tossups on easier answer lines (EFT-style), but occasionally skews harder. The packet from Libo's team (which originally included Kurtis) was apparently closer to regular difficulty.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Upon further consideration, we're probably not going to be mirroring this event at St. Charles; my apologies.
Charles Hang

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

This is my current knowledge of the field:

-Michael H, Andy K, Scot P, Surya S ("Michigan")
-Bryan B, Neil G, Libo Z ("Michigan")
-Ben F, Phil G, Saul H ("Michigan")
-Ben S, Aaron K, Edward R, Thea T ("Ottawa")
-Kathy A, Jeff Q, Tina vW, Natalie A ("Ottawa")
-Brendan M, Yohan Y (not really "Ottawa")
-Britney C, Jordan P, James C, Peter M (not really "Ottawa")
-Aaron dR, Huma Z, Will N, Gautam K
-UTS (confirmed? or just confused with the Andy absence?)

I have no idea what goes on in Facebook, Twitter, or whatever other media there is, so please update me if there are more (or fewer) teams. I can be reached by email at ben_smith_85 -AT- yahoo.ca if necessary (don't send me packets, though).

Between 3 good Michigan sets, 1 good Ottawa one, Waterloo's, and Will's, we should have enough buzzers for both ANGST and side events if they split into more rooms. I don't know of any full-time staff, so bye reading will be a must.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

It's probably best to cap the field at 9 teams. Since we have no outside moderators, each team needs at least 3 people in order for this to work (Kurtis + 3 others will cover 4 game rooms). So, one person from UTS (or Woburn, or Lisgar?) would need to play with Brendan and Yohan.

If more people are interested in coming, though, it looks like we do have room to fold about four more players into existing teams.

EDIT: Also, if people are concerned about arrangements to stay overnight, there's room to stay with the Michigan group (we'll be spending Friday night at the Days Inn right by campus). Email me at [email protected].
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
firebat03
Lulu

Post by firebat03 »

UTS is definitely coming; we have 4 people, and possibly a fifth would like to come as well. Do we need to put together a pack? Thanks!

-Josh, UTS
-Josh Alman, MIT '14
JaceTheMindSculptor
Lulu

Post by JaceTheMindSculptor »

sds wrote:It's probably best to cap the field at 9 teams. Since we have no outside moderators, each team needs at least 3 people in order for this to work (Kurtis + 3 others will cover 4 game rooms). So, one person from UTS (or Woburn, or Lisgar?) would need to play with Brendan and Yohan.

If more people are interested in coming, though, it looks like we do have room to fold about four more players into existing teams.

EDIT: Also, if people are concerned about arrangements to stay overnight, there's room to stay with the Michigan group (we'll be spending Friday night at the Days Inn right by campus). Email me at [email protected].
OK, if there isn't a Woburn team, then I'll play with Yohan. (we're from the same high school)
-Bosco L.

Woburn CI '10
University of Toronto '14 (for now)
emperor1804
Kimahri

Post by emperor1804 »

UTS is confirmed for the tournament, thanks for taking over!
Michael Olijnyk
UTS/University of Chicago
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

So it looks like the nine teams that Ben posted about are pretty much confirmed as coming, and, as was said before, with three people on each of them plus me to staff, we can run four game rooms. However, Woburn has expressed interest in coming (as have other HS teams/people), as has St. Catharine's (an HS team), so it may be a real possibility to expand the field to 11 teams with 5 game rooms. However, for this to happen, each team would have to have four members. This being said, I think the best plan is to say that UTS, as a team, can attend, and other teams should try to fit themselves into the open spots in the tournament first. When all these spots are filled, if there are still two full teams of people who want to play, the field may be expanded to 11 teams. I'm pretty sure we'd have the packets to do this if need be.

Out of the nine teams in the field, the ones I have not received packets from are:

Brendan and Yohan (I believe you said this was coming in a few days, which is fine)
Bryan, Neil, Libo (please send me the packet so I have it in my inbox and don't forget it exists)
Ben, Phil, Saul (?? someone please send me this packet soon, as, to the best of my knowledge, it is written... or is it not?)
UTS (see later in this post)

Sinan, thanks for volunteering to edit the science for this tournament. Can you please send me an email ([email protected]) so we can start coordinating- I'll probably be able to send you the bulk of the science questions tomorrow when I start editing. To Andy and Hannah, I should be able to cover the non-sci at least okay, but if you'd like to pick up a category, send me an email with what you'd like to edit, and we can come to an arrangement.

People at UTS, while I don't need your packet immediately, I'd like to get a scope of approximately how much you guys can write- do you think you'll be able to get an enitre packet done, or a half packet? Please let me know ASAP. In order to have time to edit, I'm going to put a tentative deadline for packet submission ay next friday at midnight.
Kurtis Droge