Where Are You Going Next Year

Old college threads.
User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5781
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Mike Bentley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 pm

It's getting time for another thread of where you plan on playing quizbowl next year.

To start things off, I plan on hanging out in Seattle for the indefinite future. It's probable I'll be taking another class at Bellevue College in the fall and maintaining my kind-of quizbowl eligibility there.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Auroni
Auron
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Auroni » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm

UCSD for two more years, then probably somewhere out of state after that.
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:13 am

Not sure if I should post here, but if I get accepted, I plan on going to UVA for the next four years.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6558
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Cheynem » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:24 am

Still at Minnesota, unless by some miracle I get hired at the community colleges I applied to for teaching jobs.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

Away.

I'm graduating from Harvard and not planning to get another degree. However, decent Earth Science players never die, they just ablate. I'm sure I'll stick around for at least a short time to write/edit stuff and play masters events.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

User avatar
naturalistic phallacy
Auron
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by naturalistic phallacy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:44 am

Whig's Boson wrote:Away.

I'm graduating from Harvard and not planning to get another degree. However, decent Earth Science players never die, they just ablate. I'm sure I'll stick around for at least a short time to write/edit stuff and play masters events.
Will you be practicing law?
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota
MCTC
Event Manager, PACE

Father, among these many souls / Is there not one / Whom thou shalt pluck for love out of the coals?

User avatar
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

tetragrammatology wrote: Will you be practicing law?
Yes, starting in September if I pass the bar exam in July 2010. If not things get trickier.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4042
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 am

I'mma be I'mma be I'mma be-be-be at UMN for another semester or so, finally graduating.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

I'm graduating from Missouri State and don't plan on getting another degree.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08

User avatar
Edward Elric
Tidus
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Edward Elric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:37 am

I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09

Dennis
Lulu
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Dennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 am

I'll be working in New York after graduating in May, so no school for me in the near future.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 am

I'll be taking a year off from school after graduation (hopefully to work), then most likely applying to Southeastern law schools for 2011. Depending on my financial situation, I may or may not get to some open tournaments next year.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

User avatar
sds
Wakka
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:46 am

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by sds » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 am

Staying at Michigan for another 4 years to do that whole med school thing. Pretty sure I'll be playing quiz bowl for at least the next two years.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14

User avatar
The Ununtiable Twine
Yuna
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by The Ununtiable Twine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 am

I'll be at Alabama for the next five or so years.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

User avatar
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:04 am
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am

I'm (hopefully!) graduating this year with a Masters in City Planning and will be (hopefully!) working somewhere in the Northeast. I can't rule out the possibility of taking another class or two somewhere down the road, but chances are my degree-earning days are done after this year.

I'll play as many tournaments as I can this summer, then likely a) retire or b) hang around moderating/playing opens for one more year, then retire.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by dtaylor4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 am

Springfield Grade Road wrote:I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Great, another accounting student here.

I'm finishing my MAS, and will be sitting for the CPA, starting in either April or May, depending on when I can get a spot. So far, the job market has not been forthcoming.

User avatar
I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell)
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 am

I'm heading to Virginia Tech this fall to finish my undergrad work in Geography. After that, grad school to study meteorology at some as-yet-unknown location.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS

User avatar
MicroEStudent
Rikku
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by MicroEStudent » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:33 pm

I'll be doing the research part of my MS at RIT next year and kind of looking at some universities (some with quizbowl, some without) in the Northeast for a PhD. Either that, or I sort of have a job waiting for me at a place I did a co-op, but its current prospects aren't very good.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)

User avatar
Papa's in the House
Tidus
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Papa's in the House » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm

dtaylor4 wrote:
Springfield Grade Road wrote:I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Great, another accounting student here.

I'm finishing my MAS, and will be sitting for the CPA, starting in either April or May, depending on when I can get a spot. So far, the job market has not been forthcoming.
Feel free to ask us questions when you come to MCMNT (maybe we'll start seeing more good business questions as more people go into it : D).

That being said, I'm at UIUC for (at least) another two years.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012

49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Brindlee Mountain, Alabama

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:36 pm

Originally I had planned to transfer to UAB/UA-Tuscaloosa this year but due to the price differential between the 4-years and Snead I'm doing the cheap thing and finishing up some Chem and Physics at Snead. After Snead I plan on going to UofAlabama or UAB with a very unlikely possibility of UAH, then somewhere for med school (hopefully UAB) My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19

User avatar
Sima Guang Hater
Auron
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Sima Guang Hater » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:40 pm

I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year. Unless my off weeks correspond to major tournaments and/or the team is carried by some other people (Jerry?/Andrew?/Mehdi?/Random high schoolers?) I'll be pretty much retired to opens. I might start playing during the PhD phase again (as the canon passes me by), but I'll probably stick to opens at that point too.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Washburn Rural High School, 2005
Brown University, 2009
Medical Scientist Training Program, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2018
Intern in Internal Medicine, Yale-Waterbury, 2018-9
Dermatology Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019-

Member Emeritus, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer, NAQT, NHBB, IQBT

"The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It's one of the never-ending cycles in life."

User avatar
cvdwightw
Auron
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 am
Location: Southern CA
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by cvdwightw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Hey, I actually have a really important set of questions about the eligibility rules.

There is a distinct possibility (meaning that unless we miraculously have a giant and successful recruiting effort it will happen) that the 2010 fall quarter Irvine club practices will consist of me, an undergraduate that may or may not show any interest in keeping the club running, and the slim possibility of another undergrad and/or the return to quasi-regular practice of the perpetually semi-retired Brendan Shapiro or noted non-student Willie Chen. We might be able to get the club up and running again once another player returns from Study Abroad in the spring. To me a club of essentially 2 people is not an "active" program, especially considering that for any packet-submission tournament Irvine would attend in the fall, I would probably end up having to write the entire packet (this question-writing load would thus limit the number of tournaments an "Irvine" club attends).

1. Neither the NAQT nor ACF eligibility rules state their definition of an "active" program. How do NAQT and ACF define "active" programs? For instance, if I were the only Irvine-affiliated student to actually attend tournaments next fall, would that count toward Irvine being an "active" program?
1A. How long must a school go without playing "real" tournaments for the club to be officially "inactive"/"deactivated"?
2. According to the ACF Rules and possibly the NAQT rules, if the Irvine club is judged "inactive," I would then be eligible to play with any other UC campus's active team, which at present includes Berkeley, LA, and San Diego. Obviously my choosing to play with any of those teams could be considered "gaining a competitive advantage" (for either myself or the team with which I choose to play, or both). This would be an especially tricky issue if I decided to join likely top-10 team UCSD and the Irvine club remained on hiatus through Nationals. Would NAQT or ACF mandate which UC campus I play for if Irvine is judged "inactive"? If not, what criteria would NAQT/ACF recommend I take into account when deciding what campus to play for until the Irvine team re-activates?
2A. If I were to play an event solo, would I have to play it as an inactive "Irvine" team or would I have to play it as whatever school I affiliate with?
2B. This year's CC eligibility fiasco has made it clear that NAQT does not take into account non-NAQT tournaments in deciding whether a player must play for a campus with an "active program" (since WUSTL has an active program and noted person who has attended tournaments on WUSTL teams Charles Hang will play on SCT questions as a member of a non-WUSTL team). Is this rule changed? If not, is there some wacky loophole in this rule behind which I could appear as "Irvine" at non-NAQT tournaments and join forces with another UC school at SCT/ICT? Even wackier, as the likely only member of a UCI D1 team, could I somehow de-affiliate from whatever scraps of D2 players we have left and join some other UC school's D1 team? [NB: I don't expect either of these wacky things to actually happen, in which case I would probably sign up to write multitudes of usually-good and occasionally-terrible SCT/ICT questions; I suppose this would probably influence NAQT towards closing whatever loopholes there are in their multi-campus eligibilty rules]
3. If the Irvine club (or any other club for that matter) is judged "inactive," how would we "re-activate" the club if we end up having enough people to actually send teams to things again? Is just sending a team to a "real" tournament sufficient to reactivate?

Essentially I am worried that this fall (and possibly for longer) I will have the dual options of (1) playing everything essentially solo or (2) joining another campus's program and being accused of various acts of bad faith (trophy whoring/joining to gain a competitive advantage, intentionally delaying the reactivation of the club so as to compete with a better Nationals team, etc.) regardless of whether or not I intentionally did those things.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry

User avatar
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Manhattan

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year.
Is this early? Most of the med schools I'm considering start first semester third year or over the summer between second and third year.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."

User avatar
Lapego1
Tidus
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: Richmond, VA/Philadelphia, PA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Lapego1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year.
Is this early? Most of the med schools I'm considering start first semester third year or over the summer between second and third year.
Yeah, Penn crams the first 2 years' curriculum into 1.5.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 pm

cvdwightw wrote:
49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Hey, I actually have a really important set of questions about the eligibility rules.

There is a distinct possibility (meaning that unless we miraculously have a giant and successful recruiting effort it will happen) that the 2010 fall quarter Irvine club practices will consist of me, an undergraduate that may or may not show any interest in keeping the club running, and the slim possibility of another undergrad and/or the return to quasi-regular practice of the perpetually semi-retired Brendan Shapiro or noted non-student Willie Chen. We might be able to get the club up and running again once another player returns from Study Abroad in the spring. To me a club of essentially 2 people is not an "active" program, especially considering that for any packet-submission tournament Irvine would attend in the fall, I would probably end up having to write the entire packet (this question-writing load would thus limit the number of tournaments an "Irvine" club attends).

1. Neither the NAQT nor ACF eligibility rules state their definition of an "active" program. How do NAQT and ACF define "active" programs? For instance, if I were the only Irvine-affiliated student to actually attend tournaments next fall, would that count toward Irvine being an "active" program?
1A. How long must a school go without playing "real" tournaments for the club to be officially "inactive"/"deactivated"?
2. According to the ACF Rules and possibly the NAQT rules, if the Irvine club is judged "inactive," I would then be eligible to play with any other UC campus's active team, which at present includes Berkeley, LA, and San Diego. Obviously my choosing to play with any of those teams could be considered "gaining a competitive advantage" (for either myself or the team with which I choose to play, or both). This would be an especially tricky issue if I decided to join likely top-10 team UCSD and the Irvine club remained on hiatus through Nationals. Would NAQT or ACF mandate which UC campus I play for if Irvine is judged "inactive"? If not, what criteria would NAQT/ACF recommend I take into account when deciding what campus to play for until the Irvine team re-activates?
2A. If I were to play an event solo, would I have to play it as an inactive "Irvine" team or would I have to play it as whatever school I affiliate with?
2B. This year's CC eligibility fiasco has made it clear that NAQT does not take into account non-NAQT tournaments in deciding whether a player must play for a campus with an "active program" (since WUSTL has an active program and noted person who has attended tournaments on WUSTL teams Charles Hang will play on SCT questions as a member of a non-WUSTL team). Is this rule changed? If not, is there some wacky loophole in this rule behind which I could appear as "Irvine" at non-NAQT tournaments and join forces with another UC school at SCT/ICT? Even wackier, as the likely only member of a UCI D1 team, could I somehow de-affiliate from whatever scraps of D2 players we have left and join some other UC school's D1 team? [NB: I don't expect either of these wacky things to actually happen, in which case I would probably sign up to write multitudes of usually-good and occasionally-terrible SCT/ICT questions; I suppose this would probably influence NAQT towards closing whatever loopholes there are in their multi-campus eligibilty rules]
3. If the Irvine club (or any other club for that matter) is judged "inactive," how would we "re-activate" the club if we end up having enough people to actually send teams to things again? Is just sending a team to a "real" tournament sufficient to reactivate?

Essentially I am worried that this fall (and possibly for longer) I will have the dual options of (1) playing everything essentially solo or (2) joining another campus's program and being accused of various acts of bad faith (trophy whoring/joining to gain a competitive advantage, intentionally delaying the reactivation of the club so as to compete with a better Nationals team, etc.) regardless of whether or not I intentionally did those things.
It really doesn't seem fair to me that a school with around 27,000 students would be allowed to invoke the branch campus rule because it can only field two players. Maybe I'm just biased because I attend a 3,000-student school whose quizbowl program consisted of at most two players between November 2007 and December 2009 -- and there wasn't a program during the 2008-09 school year because my previous teammate had graduated, I couldn't recruit anyone and I didn't have transportation. Of course, Chris Chiego accused me of organizational failure during that hiatus. I guess, though, my true failure was not trying to convince USC to buy Furman and turn it into USC-Greenville.

I know there have been other individuals and programs in similar situations, all across the country. (For instance, Lawrence is half Furman's size, and Brandeis isn't very much larger.) I really have never understood why students at branch campuses ought to get special treatment over those at other schools struggling to try to recruit a team, especially if their campus has the kind of enormous student body to recruit from that many of us can only dream of.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

suds1000
Wakka
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:17 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by suds1000 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

sds wrote:Staying at Michigan for another 4 years to do that whole med school thing. Pretty sure I'll be playing quiz bowl for at least the next two years.
Props to you, if you can manage to find the time. I tried, but it's tough.
Sudheer
Resident Old Dude
Faculty, Emory University (no QB affiliation)

Active Years:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2001 - 2006)
Detroit Country Day School (1998-2001)

User avatar
goblue16
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 pm
Location: South Bend

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by goblue16 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Graduating this year and I might play at whatever law school I attend in the fall.
Scot Putzig
Michigan 2010
Notre Dame Law 2013

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2613
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Also not sure if I should post here, but Matt Bollinger did it first.

I've been accepted to and plan on attending Yale next year, and plan to keep playing quizbowl there.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Sailing away on my copper boat

philmsu
Lulu
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by philmsu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect wrote:I'm graduating from Missouri State and don't plan on getting another degree.
This. Definitely got to say I've had a great time playing quizbowl, though.
Phillip George
Missouri State University '10

User avatar
Gautam
Auron
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:28 pm
Location: Zone of Avoidance
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Gautam » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:03 am

going into HIBERNATION.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.

ScoBo
Wakka
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Kansas City area
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by ScoBo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:32 am

I'll still be working in the Kansas City area and moderating at several tournaments throughout Missouri next year.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4042
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 am

gkandlikar wrote:going into HIBERNATION.
neveeeeeeeeeer
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

canaanbananarama
Wakka
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:39 pm
Location: Everywhere, SAKARTVELO

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by canaanbananarama » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 am

Dwight,

While this is off-topic...it's a very weird subject which would have to be answered by NAQT or ACF. One problem that you would face in any attempt to do this is the long history of the UC-Irvine club. Now, I know this history and I know it's been ruled by utterly dysfunctional people in turn which has probably destroyed retention over the years. Its "existence" has been perpetuated by these devoted players (Willie, and now you) who have absolutely no clue when it comes to recruitment and retention. People like Ray and Brendan, who I'd think do a better job at retention are less devoted, and subsequently, your group is less. This isn't all your fault. Especially in large Western states (California, Texas), there are certain universities to which undergrads more likely to play quizbowl are drawn. Berkeley (what the hell has happened to that club, whoever is running it, shame on you) and UCLA will more naturally have players dedicated to playing. With the development of the San Diego circuit, UCSD has received local players who are devoted and have revived a once CBI-only institution. In Texas, most anybody who'd play quizbowl would pick Austin over Dallas, Arlington, Edinburg, El Paso, etc., unless geographic reasons prevented them from doing so. And to wit, I think I've only ever heard of UT-Dallas showing up to tournaments. The less desirable UC's are in similar positions; being academically less regarded than the big ones, they've never been able to sustain a team outside of CBI. And then there are the Cal States...and I only remember Fresno State (a large university) showing up to anything ever, outside of CBI. NAQT and ACF could do something like put an enrollment cap on this rule, which would naturally rule you out. I honestly doubt anyone would let you play for another UC (the natural choice would be Berkeley, since it's the flagship campus) and attend ICT and ACF Nationals. For other tournaments, I reckon you could probably resume your career at UCLA; it's the West Coast, honestly, given the circumstances, who cares? It's an unfortunate situation to be at a school where interest isn't natural, and where you don't personally possess the resources to sustain a team (let it be said, I love Dwight as a person, but many of us are not capable recruiters and are better in other aspects of club management), but as the French goes, "say lovey." You can't really call on West Coast high schoolers to reject Harvard et al. to stay local to keep the West Coast circuit vibrant. I reckon if you really need teammates, you could probably get enough of those lovably insane Korean Christians on your campus to join you on a crusade to Christianize the Matt Weiner. Other than that, not much to say.
C. Meigs
CA

User avatar
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Hopefully I will be attending the UF in the fall, but this is a shaky possibility. If I do not get accepted, I will transfer to another CC (most likely Santa Fe) to finish my AA. I believe Santa Fe has a QB team, so my career may continue. After looking at NAQT's website and realizing they did not even attend the CC SCT, I may be playing solo at a few tournaments...
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

User avatar
Golran
Auron
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Golran » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated

Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:50 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Red-necked Phalarope » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Freidank wrote:I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
The only collegiate teams in the near area are Wake Forest and UNC, both about 40 minutes to an hour away in either direction, but I doubt either of them are having summer practice (especially UNC). Guilford County has a fairly strong HS circuit, though; Paul Smith of The Early College at Guilford is probably your best bet (he'd know more about what's going on right now than me, anyway), but Greensboro Day or Grimsley might be doing stuff as well.

As far as stuff to do in the summer in Greensboro... good luck. I'm more familiar with Winston-Salem, but the Grasshoppers opened their new baseball stadium downtown just recently, the Greensboro Coliseum (near UNCG) gets big-name acts every now and then, and I'm sure the local arts centers, etc. will have stuff going on. (Apparently Greensboro has an opera company, which I never knew but there you go.) There's also the historical site for the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, which may come in handy the next time you need to 30 that ACF Regionals Revolutionary War bonus. :grin:

I know plenty of people from the Greensboro area, so if there's anything particular you're interested in, let me know and I can ask around. Raleigh and Charlotte, which are both about an hour and a half away, will probably have plenty going on if you want to make a day trip.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to be doing at UNCG? Music education?

[Oh, and I'll be in Columbus for the foreseeable future.]
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13

User avatar
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Midland, MI

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm supposed to be graduating in December, and don't know what I'll be doing after that. Going somewhere for a PhD and going straight into industry both have reasonable probabilities. I'll decide between the two based on what I think of my internship this summer.

If I'm reading the rules right, I would still technically be undergrad eligible for next years ACF Nats despite being graduated and no longer enrolled at Michigan. Is that actually correct?
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Yes.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
Golran
Auron
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Golran » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Atlee Hammaker wrote:
Freidank wrote:I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
The only collegiate teams in the near area are Wake Forest and UNC, both about 40 minutes to an hour away in either direction, but I doubt either of them are having summer practice (especially UNC). Guilford County has a fairly strong HS circuit, though; Paul Smith of The Early College at Guilford is probably your best bet (he'd know more about what's going on right now than me, anyway), but Greensboro Day or Grimsley might be doing stuff as well.

As far as stuff to do in the summer in Greensboro... good luck. I'm more familiar with Winston-Salem, but the Grasshoppers opened their new baseball stadium downtown just recently, the Greensboro Coliseum (near UNCG) gets big-name acts every now and then, and I'm sure the local arts centers, etc. will have stuff going on. (Apparently Greensboro has an opera company, which I never knew but there you go.) There's also the historical site for the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, which may come in handy the next time you need to 30 that ACF Regionals Revolutionary War bonus. :grin:

I know plenty of people from the Greensboro area, so if there's anything particular you're interested in, let me know and I can ask around. Raleigh and Charlotte, which are both about an hour and a half away, will probably have plenty going on if you want to make a day trip.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to be doing at UNCG? Music education?

[Oh, and I'll be in Columbus for the foreseeable future.]

If I'm accepted, I'm about 95% certain I'm going to attend the REU about algorithmic combinatorics and partial words there.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated

User avatar
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:26 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Demonic Leftovers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:29 pm

I'll be attending Virginia Law either this fall or in the fall of 2012. I intend to play some quiz bowl while studying there.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider

User avatar
Frater Taciturnus
Auron
Posts: 2463
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm

dseal wrote:I'll be attending Virginia Law either this fall or in the fall of 2012. I intend to play some quiz bowl while studying there.
Somewhere in Charlottesville, Will Butler is doing cartwheels.
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

User avatar
sabine01
Tidus
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 pm
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Contact:

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by sabine01 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Graduating from Maryland with a Masters of Library Science in May. No immediate plans to pursue another degree, but you may see me staffing around the area more...well... if I don't get too caught up in wedding planning and applying for professional positions.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"

User avatar
stevebahnaman
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by stevebahnaman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

sabine01 wrote:Graduating from Maryland with a Masters of Library Science in May. No immediate plans to pursue another degree, but you may see me staffing around the area more...well... if I don't get too caught up in wedding planning and applying for professional positions.
I think you mean "Professional" "Positions."

Woot librarians.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy

wd4gdz
Tidus
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by wd4gdz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

User avatar
The Ununtiable Twine
Yuna
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by The Ununtiable Twine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:02 pm

wd4gdz wrote:Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
QFT, Billy. QFT.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

User avatar
mhayes
Rikku
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by mhayes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm

wd4gdz wrote:Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
Was this really necessary?
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated

manary
Lulu
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:19 am
Location: UCSD

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by manary » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Graduating from Caltech, going on to the UCSD MSTP (MD/PhD). Probably will get the PhD in infectious diseases or microbiology.

Hey Auroni!

Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07

User avatar
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Update on this:

I'm still graduating (though there are three professors with the power to make that not happen). I will be moving to Washington DC and not practicing law. This will leave me free for the entire summer to play any tournament I want, since I won't have to take the bar exam. Once I'm in DC I'm sure I'll show up to open tournaments there.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

User avatar
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 3078
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by DumbJaques » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm still graduating (though there are three professors with the power to make that not happen). I will be moving to Washington DC and not practicing law. This will leave me free for the entire summer to play any tournament I want, since I won't have to take the bar exam. Once I'm in DC I'm sure I'll show up to open tournaments there.
Hey dude, you're welcome to show up at UMD's open summer practices - shoot me an email if you're interested.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

munih10
Lulu
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by munih10 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:Hopefully I will be attending the UF in the fall, but this is a shaky possibility. If I do not get accepted, I will transfer to another CC (most likely Santa Fe) to finish my AA. I believe Santa Fe has a QB team, so my career may continue. After looking at NAQT's website and realizing they did not even attend the CC SCT, I may be playing solo at a few tournaments...
Any news, Ethan? UF quiz bowl would love to have you. Unfortunately, I will be gone, and Aaron Kashtan is uncertain (last I heard) as to whether he will continue to play. I am looking forward to the prospect of playing quiz bowl at Brown, where I will begin working on a PhD in the fall.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---

Locked