Announcement: 2010 Chicago Open, Chicago, IL (July 23-25)

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

Announcement: 2010 Chicago Open, Chicago, IL (July 23-25)

Post by grapesmoker »

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce the 2010 Chicago Open, to be held at the University of Chicago on a summer date to be determined soon. Barring any unforeseen events between now and May, I will be serving as the head editor of the tournament.

As you all know, Chicago Open is a nationals-and-above difficulty level tournament. Lately, it has also been a packet submission tournament, which means that if you want to play, you must write a packet. Unlike other tournaments, CO does not have the luxury of relying on mirror sites to supply quality packets; therefore, no team will be allowed to play without submitting a high-quality packet. I cannot emphasize this enough; packets that are just plain bad will be returned to the submitting teams. This has not, to my knowledge, been too much of an issue in the past, since CO attracts some of the best players and writers around, but I want to deliver a high-quality tournament and this means that I will need high-quality submissions. Use care when writing your packets.

Packet guidelines

The distribution for submitted packets should follow the standard ACF distribution. The packets must be formatted according to the standard ACF formatting guidelines; improperly formatted packets will be returned.

Packet deadlines

This year's CO features an extra special discount opportunity. Namely, if you submit your packet very early, you can play for the nominal fee of $20! How good a deal is that?! (Answer: so fucking good!). Please keep in mind that in order to actually receive this discount, your packet has to be pristine. As in, so good that I don't have to do much more than minor corrections on it; if I have to rewrite half your questions, you will not receive the big discount! So please don't think you can just slap something together. I outline the submission schedule below:

Base fee: $120
Packet submitted before May 1st: -$100 (such a good deal OMG)
Packet submitted before May 15th: -$50 (still a good deal)
Packet submitted before May 29th: -$25 (not too shabby)
Packet submitted before June 12: no penalty
Packet submitted before June 26th: +$25 (plus bonus glaring from me)
Packet submitted before July 3rd: +$50 (glaring AND scowling)
every day after July 3rd: +$10 with the permission of the editor, which will not be easy to get.

WARNING: I would like to have 3 weeks between the tournament and the last deadline. This means that if the earlier of the available dates is selected, I reserve the right to push the submission schedule up accordingly. This will be accomplished by compressing the time between two of the penalty deadlines by one week. Read this carefully and don't tell me two months from now that you didn't know this would happen.

There will be logistical discounts as well, to the tune of -$10 for a buzzer system and -$5 for a laptop if we need it, unless you are claiming the $100 discount above (I gotta keep something for myself). There will be no other discounts.

Last year CO had 14 teams. I anticipate similar numbers this year. Since every team will have submitted a packet, and the editors will produce 3 playoff/finals packets, the final number of rounds should be somewhere between 15 and 18. I will soon post a link to a Google spreadsheet where you can enter your team; I'll also be using that spreadsheet to keep track of discounts and such.

You may email all packets to me at [email protected]. I look forward to receiving your packets and seeing you in Chicago this summer.

CAVEAT: While I do not anticipate anything that should preclude me from editing CO this year, in the unlikely but not impossible event that something like this occurs, I will do my best to find replacement editors. I'm putting this out there so that there are no surprises later on.
Last edited by grapesmoker on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Announcement: 2010 Chicago Open, Chicago, IL (date TBA)

Post by grapesmoker »

I need editors!

If you are interested in contributing to this tournament, please get in touch with me. I specifically need editors in the areas of biology, chemistry, music, and social science. If you can contribute to the editing effort in any of these fields, I would love to have your assistance.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Side tournaments!

What is CO without a bevy of side tournaments? In the past, CO weekend has typically featured a literature tournament, some form of history tournament, and CO trash. Seth informs me that we may not have the ability to run more than two side events during CO, so space is limited. Tournament slots have traditionally been allocated on a quasi-seniority basis, plus a combination of interest and time of request. What this means is that established events will typically have precedence over newer ones, more popular events over older ones, etc. Since ceteris is never paribus I will attempt to allocate the various slots based on a combination of the above factors; if you're gunning to run a side event, it greatly behooves you to poll the populace and see how much demand there is for it. Please submit all requests for running side events to me.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Staffers!

CO gotta have staff, son. If you are willing and able to help run this tournament, please let me know as soon as you can. We're going to need roughly 10 people for the main event, I'm guessing. There will be a staff sign up Google doc soon.
Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Expressing interest in the traditional west coast mirror.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Expressing interest in the traditional west coast mirror.
I was just about to post about mirrors. If you want to mirror CO, get in touch with me and we'll work something out.
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Should would-be staffers e-mail you directly or wait for the Google Doc or what?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

If I am in Chicagoland on the date of CO, which is likely but not certain, I'll staff.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Cheynem wrote:Should would-be staffers e-mail you directly or wait for the Google Doc or what?
This. Unless anyone objects, I'll do the SQBS thing again. Once side events are chosen, the people running them should get in touch with me about doing it for them as well.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cheynem wrote:Should would-be staffers e-mail you directly or wait for the Google Doc or what?
You can email me or actually post in this thread. The doc will be up today.
Jerry Vinokurov
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

If I don't have a team by May 1st but submit a partial packet, would it be possible to receive a partial discount to apply toward my eventual team's registration costs?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'm not going to play this tournament, but I want to publicly praise Jerry for pricing this tournament so low. $20 is amazing, given how expensive some recent CO's have been.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Charbroil wrote:If I don't have a team by May 1st but submit a partial packet, would it be possible to receive a partial discount to apply toward my eventual team's registration costs?
I'm gonna say no. The rationale behind this is for me to get complete packets early, and the discount is already generous enough. If you need to wait until you get a full team together, you can get one of the other discounts instead.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Whig's Boson wrote:I'm not going to play this tournament, but I want to publicly praise Jerry for pricing this tournament so low. $20 is amazing, given how expensive some recent CO's have been.
Last year's CO had the same base fee, so I'm sticking with that. As for the mega discount, it's really a win-win. If it motivates people to form teams and write awesome packets early on, that saves me a lot of work, and time is money. I figure the amount of time I save by not having to heavily edit a problematic packet is well worth the tournament fee I'm giving up.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

You can now register your team for CO 2010 online thanks to the magic of Google. I've added an option for each member of the team to select two of the possible side events they'd like to play. Some of the options have not actually been announced, but I figured that it could motivate someone to produce a side event if there's an overwhelming demand for it. Remember, please only vote for two.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

If you're planning to staff, I would appreciate it if you could fill out this form. If you know someone who doesn't read the forums here but might want to staff, feel free to share this link with them.
Jerry Vinokurov
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

grapesmoker wrote:If you're planning to staff, I would appreciate it if you could fill out this form. If you know someone who doesn't read the forums here but might want to staff, feel free to share this link with them.
If we're interested in staffing but not sure yet if we'll be able to, what should we do with regards to that form?

ETA: Also, the team signup form doesn't have CO trash as a side event option -- am I right in assuming that's because CO trash is a given?
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

In the event there is a West Coast mirror, what's the packet policy going to be?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is there a way in which staffers can vote on side events they would wish to play without registering a team?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote: If we're interested in staffing but not sure yet if we'll be able to, what should we do with regards to that form?
I filled out the staffer form without being 100% certain that I'll be available to staff CO (though it seems reasonably likely that I'll be able to), so...now you know, Jerry.

It might be good to add a comments box or something to the form so that people can say whether they're sure they can come (and when they might know by).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I used the name box as a comments box.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Comments boxes added to both forms. Thanks.
Jerry Vinokurov
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

grapesmoker wrote:Comments boxes added to both forms. Thanks.
Could you delete my entry so I can re-enter without the awkward comment, then?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

cornfused wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Comments boxes added to both forms. Thanks.
Could you delete my entry so I can re-enter without the awkward comment, then?
Done.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:If we're interested in staffing but not sure yet if we'll be able to, what should we do with regards to that form?
Leave a comment in the comments box, as you have done. Thanks!
ETA: Also, the team signup form doesn't have CO trash as a side event option -- am I right in assuming that's because CO trash is a given?
Yes, CO trash is basically a for-sure thing. Marnold is in charge this year, and he'll provide the details.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cheynem wrote:Is there a way in which staffers can vote on side events they would wish to play without registering a team?
I think I may just go to an individual survey of side events. That makes more sense.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:In the event there is a West Coast mirror, what's the packet policy going to be?
Teams at mirror sites will have the option of writing a packet for a discount by the no-penalty date. After that, we'll still take your packets but you won't get a discount for them. The discount structure will -$50 for before the -$25 deadline teams, -$25 for before the no-penalty deadline. Mirror site teams will still be eligible for the May 1st -$100 discount.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Side events!

I've created a separate form for CO side events. Vote for your favorites there. We've already got a proposal for arts and literature but I've put some other possibilities on the board as well.

edit: I've removed the side event options from the team registration form.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

You can delete my first response; I accidentally put my additional comments in the "other" box rather than the, uh, comments box.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

grapesmoker wrote:Yes, CO trash is basically a for-sure thing. Marnold is in charge this year, and he'll provide the details.
Details status: provided.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm pleased to say that Andy Watkins and Shantanu Jha have joined the editing team to work on biology, chemistry, social science, and fine arts. Unless something changes, we should be all set for editors.

edit: Guy Tabachnick will help make sure your linguistics questions are of the highest quality.
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This tournament just went to a whole 'notha level of REALNESS.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cheynem wrote:This tournament just went to a whole 'notha level of REALNESS.
You'd best believe it.

I want to say a few words about the expected distribution of CO. It will mostly resemble the distribution of this year's ACF Nationals, in this way: out of 20/20 (that is, not counting a tiebreaker in every packet) I intend to have 4/4 each of history, literature, and science, followed by 3/3 each of fine arts and RMP, 1/1 social science, and 1/1 "miscellaneous." That last category may include trash or geography which I find particularly interesting, but given that there's a whole trash tournament being run the same day, I feel no compulsion to ensure the presence of trash in every packet (and I'll be honest with you, any geography question that's just about identifying some dull-ass land feature is almost certainly getting the boot). I'm much more interested in exploring the use of that "miscellanious" category (which is essentially equivalent to the "your choice" in the submission requirements) to ask about otherwise interesting things that maybe don't fit neatly into any one category. That includes things like random intellectual history and other relevant thought, non-fiction writing, current events, and so on, in short, anything of relevant and interesting cultural value that isn't captured by the existing framework. I strongly encourage teams to submit questions of that type. I don't think this is a huge deviation from CO's past, but it's relevant and so I'm putting this out there for public consumption so that there won't be any surprises and no one will complain about their precious tossup on Lady Gaga being used.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

What sort of difficulty should we be shooting for? ACF Nats? Crazy post-ACF Nats like the last year or two? Something else?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ukonvasara wrote:ACF Nats? Crazy post-ACF Nats like the last year or two?
These two; a lot of it is probably going to end up resembling the last year or two in terms of statistical difficulty, but I guarantee the tournament will have a different feel than either of those editions.
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I forgot to add a comment about my staffing being contingent on me being there and not finding a team that would take someone with no time to write.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

grapesmoker wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:ACF Nats? Crazy post-ACF Nats like the last year or two?
These two; a lot of it is probably going to end up resembling the last year or two in terms of statistical difficulty, but I guarantee the tournament will have a different feel than either of those editions.
By which Jerry means that the finals will contain a tossup on tridecavalent iron.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

As long as I'm issuing dicta regarding CO submissions:

I've already said this in a few other contexts, but I'd really like to see some originality in submissions. Not to say that in the past CO hasn't gotten some very original stuff, of course. However, the great thing about a tournament like CO is that it gives people a chance to explore novel topics and I encourage everyone to try and do this. What I don't want to see is people just mining old packets for answer choices; this is not the year you write a "Prize Stock," tossup because it's already come up enough times as a clue. In short, be original, challenge yourself, and challenge the boundaries of knowledge of the other players. It's what makes CO fun.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So the ACF distribution requires 1/1 geography but you've already stated that at best geography is going to be squeezed into the 1/1 your choice/trash space. Do you still want us to submit 1/1 geography or is it okay if we use some of that space for, say, extra SS?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:So the ACF distribution requires 1/1 geography but you've already stated that at best geography is going to be squeezed into the 1/1 your choice/trash space. Do you still want us to submit 1/1 geography or is it okay if we use some of that space for, say, extra SS?
Good question. I'm going to open up the geography category to other social science questions or more of the "intellectual history" type of "your choice" stuff. You can still write geography if you want but it should be interesting.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Based on the poll responses, I'm going to officially declare that the weekend of July 23-25 is going to be the weekend of CO. Go ahead and start making plans with that date in mind.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Announcement: 2010 Chicago Open, Chicago, IL (July 23-25)

Post by grapesmoker »

Your side tournaments this year will be the arts tournament being written by Abid Haseeb et al. and Ike Jose's lit tournament. Logistics will be decided sometime after I'm finished with this damn thesis.
Jerry Vinokurov
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

grapesmoker wrote:Your side tournaments this year will be the arts tournament being written by Abid Haseeb et al. and Ike Jose's lit tournament. Logistics will be decided sometime after I'm finished with this damn thesis.
See here:

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 55#p177455
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Frank Firke would like to staff this. To get in touch with him, send an e-mail to ffirke at gmail.com. Or tell me stuff and I'll tell him.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

OctagonJoe wrote:Frank Firke would like to staff this. To get in touch with him, send an e-mail to ffirke at gmail.com. Or tell me stuff and I'll tell him.
Ok. Couldn't he just register on the forums and fill out the staffing form like everyone else?
Jerry Vinokurov
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

grapesmoker wrote:Couldn't he just register on the forums
I've been trying to get him to do that for a long time now.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Anybody traveling from Michigan:

Do you guys have full teams? If not, I would be happy to team up with any combination of you.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Cheynem wrote:Anybody traveling from Michigan:

Do you guys have full teams? If not, I would be happy to team up with any combination of you.
We have one full team from Michigan figured out, and other people are still figuring out their plans. We'll let you know when they decide something.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Thanks.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

grapesmoker wrote: Packet guidelines
The distribution for submitted packets should follow the standard ACF distribution. The packets must be formatted according to the standard ACF formatting guidelines; improperly formatted packets will be returned.
Does the request to follow ACF guidelines include the guideline on question length (in terms of tossups being limited to 6-7 lines in length)?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl