2018 CO Trash: Please avoid spoilers

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

2018 CO Trash: Please avoid spoilers

Post by theMoMA »

Hi all,

I know you're itching to tell all your friends about the various transcendent questions you converted or oafishly did not convert from this year's CO Trash, but please remember that we have other mirrors coming up, and other people would like to play those questions as well! Please do your best to avoid mentioning questions from the set to the public at large, and if you momentarily lose control and spill the beans (or see someone else who does), please shoot us an email so we can manage the set accordingly. Thanks!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Re: Please avoid spoilers

Post by theMoMA »

Bonus content: As CO Trash aficionados may know, a joke emerged after last CO Trash's many spoilers in which people would say that their favorite question was "Leon getting larger." (The editors thank Mike Cheyne for his coining yet another quizbowl meme.)

If you stuck around for the finals packets scrimmages, you were treated to this lengthy "tossup zero":
In response to a 2013 question from quizbowl's own George Berry about which Phillie would be the next to "get busted for PEDs," Michael Baumann of Crashburn Alley invoked this process to argue "not Larry Greene, for damn sure." This process titles a 1995 album that contains the songs "Devil Dog Road" and "Ten Long Years" and is by the Swedish hard rock band City of Faith. A Jalopnik tag named for this process contains only one article, which mentions that in 2015 there were 78 SUVs for sale with four-star crash ratings. In September 2016, John Daly captioned a Twitter photograph of bad conditions at Poppy Hills with a reference to this and a related process. A 2006 article on Cablefax makes an "obscure reference" to this process to describe the merger of local exchange carriers US LEC and PAETEC, noting that the result is "not exactly" as impressive as the results of this process. A 2018 Golf Digest article with the headline "According to Science, You're Now a Teenager Until Age 24" compares this process to similar processes affecting "adolescence" and "the universe." In the Family Guy/Star Warsepisode "Blue Harvest," Quagmire, as C3PO, makes a reference to this process by invoking the name of Princess Leia after the mention of the proximity of the Death Star. In October 2017, Hot Air concluded its reporting on the results of an NHS study by noting that the U.S. was collectively undergoing an analogue of this process that was first invoked in response to the words of a "striped controller." This process is first mentioned immediately before the line "I know what you're going to say, so save your breath," which is followed by Rumack telling a story about George Zip. The subject of this process is credited as Air Controller Macias and was played by Herb Voland. Internet commenters have invoked this process in response to claims that books are becoming longer, that Ariel Winter is becoming hotter, and, most aptly, that airline safety belts are becoming smaller. This process was first mentioned by a Stephen Stucker-played character named Johnny Henshaw-Jacobs, who jumps in from the left of screen in response to the "bad news" that "the fog is getting thicker." The jiggling of a man's belly is used to emphasize, for 10 points, what process affecting the body weight of a namesake air traffic controller in Airplane?
ANSWER: Leon getting larger [accept answers mentioning Leon and larger; prompt on "getting larger" or equivalents]
The editors applaud Adam Sperber for his buzz on the Princess Leia clue, Yogesh Raut for his lively reenactment of the dialogue, and everyone at the scrimmages for tolerating our nearly-3,000-character long attempt at humor. Feel free to inflict this on your unsuspecting friends at your next practice.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I realize this is the height of "nobody cares," but I don't think Leon is actually Air Controller Macias. Macias is the guy who says such lines as "Maybe we ought to turn on the searchlights now." He wears kind of a light colored tie and seems older yet has slightly more hair than Leon, who has a dark colored tie.

https://imgur.com/a/cToRtEp

Macias is on top, Leon is on the bottom.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Cheynem wrote:I realize this is the height of "nobody cares," but I don't think Leon is actually Air Controller Macias. Macias is the guy who says such lines as "Maybe we ought to turn on the searchlights now." He wears kind of a light colored tie and seems older yet has slightly more hair than Leon, who has a dark colored tie.

https://imgur.com/a/cToRtEp

Macias is on top, Leon is on the bottom.
I apologize for the mistake. My defense is that this photo used to claim that Herb Voland was pictured (along with Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges). It no longer does (but a Pinterest copy of the photo has that claim). And as Naveed will tell you, all white people look the same anyways.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

So it *was* the INACCURATE and INCOMPLETE movie database's fault after all!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum