Books "for Quizbowl"

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Re: Books "for Quizbowl"

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

McGraw-Hill MCAT practice book
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:McGraw-Hill MCAT practice book

any mcat book has the later clues for a huge portion of science. I plan on revamping my science knowledge for quiz bowl as soon as I take the MCATs this week (thursday).

The funny thing is, that review has helped me a lot in chemistry (for quiz bowl). I once did all my friend's online chemistry homework for a week after 6 beers (disclaimer: I do not condone underage drinking, just drinking and studying), but I didn't know the names of any of the formulas and concepts, just how they worked.

For actual MCAT, Examkrackers is the best stuff publicly available for prep (on paper). If you can get your hand's on Princeton Review's workbooks, that's also suppose to be the best.

I guess Kaplan is really good for quiz bowl, in which understanding the formula difference between bulk and Young's modulus is important. On the actual MCAT, you get all the not super basic formulas in the passages.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

nalin wrote:
TheLessFamousEthan wrote:McGraw-Hill MCAT practice book

any mcat book has the later clues for a huge portion of science. I plan on revamping my science knowledge for quiz bowl as soon as I take the MCATs this week (thursday).

The funny thing is, that review has helped me a lot in chemistry (for quiz bowl). I once did all my friend's online chemistry homework for a week after 6 beers (disclaimer: I do not condone underage drinking, just drinking and studying), but I didn't know the names of any of the formulas and concepts, just how they worked.

For actual MCAT, Examkrackers is the best stuff publicly available for prep (on paper). If you can get your hand's on Princeton Review's workbooks, that's also suppose to be the best.

I guess Kaplan is really good for quiz bowl, in which understanding the formula difference between bulk and Young's modulus is important. On the actual MCAT, you get all the not super basic formulas in the passages.
This information is very helpful as a future MCAT taker. Thank you.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Somewhat related to the discussion on the Eddas...I just finished the Kojiki and would NOT recommend it for help in learning Japanese myth, at least the edition that I checked out from the library (tr. Philippi, 1968). First, the 2nd half of it is on things that never come up (i.e. post-Jimmu legendary emperors) and seems to be mostly a list of names to give legitimacy to various families during the Nara period, along with a bunch of dudes killing their brothers and singing about it.

The first half (the true "myth" portion) -- again, at least in this edition -- uses Old Japanese spellings for most of the kami (e.g. Susanoo is "Take-paya-susa-no-wo-no-mikoto") and while it isn't too hard to figure out who they are, it's a lot tougher to figure out the common quiz bowl names of some of the more obscure figures and objects (not immediately obvious that "Opo-Kuni-Nusi" is a guy that is more well-known as Okuninushi).

I don't want to discourage anyone from reading it but "quizbowl-wise" it is less than ideal.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Jscwod
Kimahri

Post by Jscwod »

Cheynem wrote:These are the books I own and consult for my own question writing (which means, I suppose, they're helpful for quizbowl):

*An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones and William Wilson. Okay, this is out of date and it's not really that good, but it has some helpful lists with flash points, and it's at least a reasonable foundation.

*Edward Knappman's "Great American Trials" and "Great World Trials." These contain short, highly readable summaries of important court cases in history.

*The Norton Anthology of American Literature (and other Norton ones, I only own American). While they certainly contain any number of excerpts and short stories, you can learn a lot from reading the quick, informative biographical sketches written about the authors.

*William Safire's Political Dictionary. A lexicon filled with important political history facts.

*I read Shakespeare for Dummies a lot in high school and got a few points off of it.
I highly recommend the Norton Anthology Series. They're very well written and they get straight to the point. Helpful for Quiz Bowl, Read them at your library.

User was warned for lacking a signature.
John Cwodzinski
Chanhassen High School 2009-2011
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

jonah wrote:I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons have been—independent of their merits, or lackthereof, as literary works—very worthwhile for quizbowl purposes. Most of the history is poor/inaccurate, but the art is mostly solid. I've gotten points on tons of different art topics: Bosch, Fragonard, Bernini, Leonardo, Pei, Michelangelo, specific works by all of them, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Seconded. Simply remembering art from the Da Vinci Code in particular (especially Da Vinci works) has got me more powers this year than is probably fair.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Norton's Poetry Anthology has lots of poems that come up in one volume. I know it's nothing special but I like it all in one place.

Also masterplots is cool stuff. There is an A-Z like 8 volume set or a condensed version. They are both awesome.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I'm only a little ways into it, but The Rest is Noise has some very good stuff on 20th-century music so far. Plus, there's a fine companion website with clips of everything referred to in the book.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

The Books Who Wrote What When and Who Won What When are good for less experienced lit players.
Frank N. Magill has published several good works for studying about different commonly asked literary works.
Also, the Annotated Mona Lisa is not bad for visual art.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Dave Breger wrote:I'm only a little ways into it, but The Rest is Noise has some very good stuff on 20th-century music so far. Plus, there's a fine companion website with clips of everything referred to in the book.
!

I probably should borrow that from my orchestra/AP Music Theory teacher now, if one of my teammates has given it back already.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

I'm trying to buff up on RMP, and someone offered to lend me The Hero With a Thousand Faces. Would anybody here recommend it?
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
ppreston
Lulu

Post by ppreston »

Great thread. Okay, here's my opinions; Bulfinch rules on myths and anybody what doesn't think so is sorely mistaken in their ideology. I do love me some Eddas, but methinks Bulfinch is more concise. I'm all about the Great Courses and their monthly advertisement-magazines with lecture excerpts are some of my favorite reads. I force my players at knife-blade to read them. Science News is a great clearing house of current and past knowledge about science for those who choose to dabble. The pre-2006 Guiness Books of World Records, before they went all USA-today style flash, are awesome for general knowledge of pert near everything. Wallenchinsky's People's Almanacs and Book of Lists are entertaining and informative. Reader's Encyclopedias are neat, too - the older the better. Finally - how's about Asimov's books of just pure trivia? I used to love those as a young knowledge-seeker.

User was warned for lacking a signature.
Dr. Peter Preston, MA, MMHC, PhD.
Stetson 1990, USF 2004, Barry 2012
Chain of Lakes Collegiate High School
999 Avenue H NE Winter Haven, Florida 33881
Guidance Counselor & English 6-12 DOE# 690820
Former Hardee HS Team Coach: FHSAA Champs '04, '06-'08
Phone: (863) 298-6800, Facsimile: (863) 298-6801
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ppreston wrote:Great thread. Okay, here's my opinions; Bulfinch rules on myths and anybody what doesn't think so is sorely mistaken in their ideology.
Then call me mistaken. For Greek: go read the Metamorphoses, Theogony, and the Iliad and Odyssey. For Norse: many more players nowadays have read the Eddas.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I read Bulfinch and it is really lame. Read Graves.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There was this book I had as a kid called "The Super Trivia Encyclopedia" by Fred Worth. It was full of inaccuracies and was in love with bizarre pop culture of the 1950's, but I wish I had it now because it really offered lots of great info on Americana.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Just did a quick check.....several books with that title are available via Amazon at a very low cost.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do you think I'm made of $3.20, Mr. Riley?!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

dtaylor4 wrote:
ppreston wrote:Great thread. Okay, here's my opinions; Bulfinch rules on myths and anybody what doesn't think so is sorely mistaken in their ideology.
Then call me mistaken. For Greek: go read the Metamorphoses, Theogony, and the Iliad and Odyssey. For Norse: many more players nowadays have read the Eddas.
Oddly enough, the Illiad and Odessy don't seem to have helped me enormously. The Theogony is quite good for pleasure reading study. Graves is good mainly because it's easier to look stuff up in from tournament notes but still very, very through.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

David Riley wrote:The book is Gardner's Art Through the Ages, which just became available this year in a 13th edition.
I need this book for the upcoming school year and I'm sure many people who read these boards have taken AP Art History. E-mail me if you are a willing seller of a reasonably-priced copy of this book.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Understanding Poetry by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren. This tome of New Criticism should be accessible to anyone who wants to improve their poetry knowledge. Not only does It have 300+ poems that it either analyzes or provides hints for you to analyze, it also builds the analytical attitude within you, helping you to better appreciate and to retain knowledge of any individual poem. I seriously love this book.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

every time i refresh i have a new name wrote:Understanding Poetry by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren. This tome of New Criticism should be accessible to anyone who wants to improve their poetry knowledge. Not only does It have 300+ poems that it either analyzes or provides hints for you to analyze, it also builds the analytical attitude within you, helping you to better appreciate and to retain knowledge of any individual poem. I seriously love this book.
Why must the best books be $95?
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Inkana7 wrote:
every time i refresh i have a new name wrote:Understanding Poetry by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren. This tome of New Criticism should be accessible to anyone who wants to improve their poetry knowledge. Not only does It have 300+ poems that it either analyzes or provides hints for you to analyze, it also builds the analytical attitude within you, helping you to better appreciate and to retain knowledge of any individual poem. I seriously love this book.
Why must the best books be $95?
On half.com, some sellers have it for less than $30.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

It's available for $21 used on Amazon Marketplace.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Cernel Joson wrote:So here's where I reveal my real motive for making this thread. What would be some good books for Roman and Asian history?
For Chinese history, I would have to say that Wikipedia is an excellent resource. This template would be a good start off point. As an administrator on Wikipedia, I know that most long-term Chinese history writers aren't POV-pushers, and that they're generally accurate and source well. Quality and reliability wise, I can say with confidence that "Economy of the Han Dynasty", "Society of the Song Dynasty", "Technology of the Song Dynasty", "Han Dynasty", "Ming Dynasty", "Song Dynasty", "Tang Dynasty", and "Government of the Han Dynasty" all all feature articles, with extensive peer review, all promoted within the last 3 years of Wikpedia's existence (i.e. high standards of quality).
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

This probably goes without saying and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but atlases are always great for studying geography. I prefer the New Concise World Atlas.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

What are some good books for the big three sciences? So far, I have Campbell's biology book and Zumdahl's chemistry book. But, what are some other good book I can get?

EDIT: For high school level and beyond.
Kay, Chicago.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Halliday and Resnick is a good general freshman physics text. I forget the title of the book, but those are the authors, you can look it up on Amazon.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

grapesmoker wrote:Halliday and Resnick is a good general freshman physics text. I forget the title of the book, but those are the authors, you can look it up on Amazon.

It's called Fundamentals of Physics. Buy the "extended" edition which is only one volume as opposed to the whole thing which stretches out over two or three books. I just bought a used copy online for ten bucks and older editions are even cheaper.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

MLafer wrote:Somewhat related to the discussion on the Eddas...I just finished the Kojiki and would NOT recommend it for help in learning Japanese myth, at least the edition that I checked out from the library (tr. Philippi, 1968). First, the 2nd half of it is on things that never come up (i.e. post-Jimmu legendary emperors) and seems to be mostly a list of names to give legitimacy to various families during the Nara period, along with a bunch of dudes killing their brothers and singing about it.

The first half (the true "myth" portion) -- again, at least in this edition -- uses Old Japanese spellings for most of the kami (e.g. Susanoo is "Take-paya-susa-no-wo-no-mikoto") and while it isn't too hard to figure out who they are, it's a lot tougher to figure out the common quiz bowl names of some of the more obscure figures and objects (not immediately obvious that "Opo-Kuni-Nusi" is a guy that is more well-known as Okuninushi).

I don't want to discourage anyone from reading it but "quizbowl-wise" it is less than ideal.
I whole-heartedly agree with this, and want to add that the Nihongi is exactly the same way. They are by far the two most disappointing books I've ever purchased for quizbowl purposes.

I also found the Koran somewhat esoteric/confusing and got a lot more mileage out of secondary sources (websites of mosques were surprisingly clue-dense and readable), but maybe I just picked up a bad translation.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I know this won't help me in quizbowl much, but what are some good books for Irish mythology?
Kay, Chicago.
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Kinsella's translation of the Tain is good.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Came across a book called 100 Decisive Battles, by Paul Davis. It seems pretty good; there's a preview on Google books.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Isaacbh wrote:Came across a book called 100 Decisive Battles, by Paul Davis. It seems pretty good; there's a preview on Google books.
This one has definitely gotten me some tu's. I recommend this too.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

DrCongo wrote:
Isaacbh wrote:Came across a book called 100 Decisive Battles, by Paul Davis. It seems pretty good; there's a preview on Google books.
This one has definitely gotten me some tu's. I recommend this too.
So do I. I found it most helpful on ancient battles and on battles from Manzikert up to WWI. The fact that each battle is summarized in about 1,500 words means that the descriptions are relatively dense. Not all of the battles listed are helpful, because they're chosen by the author's idea of decisiveness rather than their notability, but many of them come up in quizbowl.
EDIT: Added some detail.
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

That sounds awesome. I'll recommend it to my kids.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I would further like to endorse the incredibly awesome 100 Decisive Battles by Paul Davis
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
WildKard
Lulu

Post by WildKard »

Morraine Man wrote:
MLafer wrote:Somewhat related to the discussion on the Eddas...I just finished the Kojiki and would NOT recommend it for help in learning Japanese myth, at least the edition that I checked out from the library (tr. Philippi, 1968). .
I whole-heartedly agree with this, and want to add that the Nihongi is exactly the same way. They are by far the two most disappointing books I've ever purchased for quizbowl purposes.
In that case, what's good for Japanese myth?
Arnav Sastry
LASA '14
Texas '18
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

WildKard wrote:
Morraine Man wrote:
MLafer wrote:Somewhat related to the discussion on the Eddas...I just finished the Kojiki and would NOT recommend it for help in learning Japanese myth, at least the edition that I checked out from the library (tr. Philippi, 1968). .
In that case, what's good for Japanese myth?
If you can swing it, the back portion of "The Eternal Self and the Cycle of Samsara" by Pandharipande is a good starting point for Hindu, Shinto, and a few other Asian religions/myth systems.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

So i'm not too sure if this has been asked yet, but what are some good books for Astronomy? I mean I've seen more Astronomy books at Books-A-Million and Barnes and Noble more than anything regarding the science field, but what is one that is particularly an excellent text for quizbowl and general interest purposes?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Lucy Lane wrote:So i'm not too sure if this has been asked yet, but what are some good books for Astronomy? I mean I've seen more Astronomy books at Books-A-Million and Barnes and Noble more than anything regarding the science field, but what is one that is particularly an excellent text for quizbowl and general interest purposes?
If your college library has the "Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics," I would recommend that. It assumes familiarity with basic physics (by which I mean the standard undergrad curriculum), so it's not written for the high school level, but the astronomy sections are very accessible.
Jerry Vinokurov
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Does anyone have any suggestions for books to get one a nice base knowledge of Ancient Greco/Macedonian history? I'm looking to get into that area of history and I want to know where to start.
Jarret Greene
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Inkana7 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for books to get one a nice base knowledge of Ancient Greco/Macedonian history? I'm looking to get into that area of history and I want to know where to start.
I read the first half of Alexander to Actium as a sophomore in HS and eight years later I am still answering Diadoch War tossups and Antigonus Gonatas bonus parts because of it.

The book does go on long digressions about art and philosophy, which I found annoying, but I guess it could get you non-history questions as well.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

For a broad overview of history, I strongly recommend the Encyclopedia of World History, 6th edition, ed. by Peter Stearns. I bought my copy used, I believe, so it's definitely floating out there. It comes with the book on CD, which is convenient, and is great for understanding timelines. Never again will you confuse the Buyids with the Samanids!
Jerry Vinokurov
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

grapesmoker wrote:For a broad overview of history, I strongly recommend the Encyclopedia of World History, 6th edition, ed. by Peter Stearns. I bought my copy used, I believe, so it's definitely floating out there. It comes with the book on CD, which is convenient, and is great for understanding timelines. Never again will you confuse the Buyids with the Samanids!
Thanks! I just ordered a copy for $10.

Bruce, your suggestion was a bit out of my price range, so I'll try to find it at OSU's library when I get down there.
Jarret Greene
FlamingPiWalrusWizard
Lulu

Post by FlamingPiWalrusWizard »

How about books for British history? Also, does anyone know if AP Euro prep books (PR/Barron's) cover this subject well for quizbowl?
Eamon, Frenchtown High School '12
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Man got to wonder, why, why, why?
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land,
Man got to say, he understand.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

FlamingPiWalrusWizard wrote:How about books for British history? Also, does anyone know if AP Euro prep books (PR/Barron's) cover this subject well for quizbowl?
For the most part, books used for AP classes are not that good. I found David Thompson's (Thomson's? don't recall) history of Britain pretty good. For military history, there's a fat book out there called "The Warrior Race" by Lawrence James (I think) which I haven't read but looks pretty interesting.
Jerry Vinokurov
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

How about good books for astronomy? Not wholly for quizbowl, but of course quizbowl relevancy is always a plus.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

octo wrote:How about good books for astronomy? Not wholly for quizbowl, but of course quizbowl relevancy is always a plus.

The astronomy class that I took last year used Astronomy: From the Earth to the Universe, which I enjoyed. It's easy to understand and it covers many astronomy topics well.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

FlamingPiWalrusWizard wrote:How about books for British history?
I meant to respond to this weeks ago, but got distracted with question editing.

Some survey-type books on British history that I like, in roughly chronological order:

Campbell, et al, The Anglo-Saxons

Bartlett, England under the Norman and Angevin Kings

Russell, The Crisis of Parliaments: English History, 1509-1660

Prest, Albion Ascendant: English History, 1660-1815

Clarke, Hope and Glory, Britain 1900-2000

That's obviously missing a late-medieval and a 19th-century book, but I haven't read any of the recent surveys in those fields; Miri Rubin's book, which I haven't read yet, is probably what to look at for the late middle ages.

The reviews I've seen of the Lawrence James book Jerry mentioned have not been all that great (which is, of course, in no way a referendum on its potential utility for quizbowl). For British military history, I'd recommend Chandler and Beckett, The Oxford History of the British Army, and for the navy the two volumes by N.A.M. Rodger.

For Irish history, read Moody and Martin, The Course of Irish History.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

There's also a guy named Jeremy Black who wrote a few of the military history books I used in a class a long time ago. They were pretty detailed and also not too long.
Jerry Vinokurov