Ad Hoc Texas Side Event Weekend (8/10/19)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Ad Hoc Texas Side Event Weekend (8/10/19)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

After some discussion with members of UT Austin's club, we decided that there was enough interest in the area for a small side-event tournament to take place on August 10th, at UT Austin.

This event will take place in MEZES Hall. Registration will be from 8am to 8:30 on the 10th, with games starting at 8:30 promptly in order to fit in as many events as possible to an already long day. Opening meeting will be in Mezes Hall, Room 1.104.

Parking
For those who haven't been to UT's campus before, I believe the San Antonio Garage on Guadalupe St. is the closest parking option (cost is $3/hour, up to 18$ for the full day). I apologize there aren't cheaper options. The Speedway Garage and 27th St. Garages are also options, since Mezes is essentially in a straight line from these at the far end of Speedway (this is a bit of a walk but nothing too bad).

Question Sets
Right now the plan for this tournament will be to play SuperAcronym followed by various side events based on interest, most likely to be played as a shootout. Here is a spreadsheet for players to indicate interest in SuperAcronym (1st tab), as well as indicate their preferred side events (2nd tab).

Sunday Component?
Right now, the only plans for this event are for Saturday, however, if enough people are also interested in playing Oxford Open on Sunday the 11th, potentially as doubles/triples, you can indicate interest in that set on the side-events tab of the spreadsheet. If there's enough interest, I can also request this set and the additional room reservations for Sunday.

Cost
The costs for this event will only be per-player, per-event based on the fees required by the various side events.

Buzzers
While there is no buzzer discount because the only fees are the base fee per player to play the events anyway, our club only has 1 buzzer set for the time being, so people are encouraged to bring additional buzzers if they want this event to happen.

Team formation Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Ad Hoc Texas Side Event Weekend (8/10/19)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

A few quick updates on this.
1. Based on the amount of interest indicated so far, this event will definitely be happening this Saturday!
2. Our rooms have also been confirmed in Mezes Hall. Opening meeting will be from 8-8:30, with games starting promptly at 8:30 to get through as many rounds as possible (still, in true side event weekend fashion, I'd be prepared for this event to run decently late regardless). Opening Meeting in Mezes 1.104.
3. One thing this event still needs is buzzers, so if you're planning to come to this and can bring buzzers, please do that (no one wants to play games without buzzers)! I've updated the spreadsheet with a place to indicate you can/are bringing buzzers.
4. The order of side events played after SuperAcronym will go based on interest and will use whatever teams format (doubles/triples, etc.) that makes the most sense for the number of sign ups. Right now its looking like the order will be SuperAcronym->Unanswered question (likely doubles/triples)->Scattegories 3 (likely shootout)->MUSES (likely shootout).
5. People are welcomed to go ahead and form teams in advance. All remaining free agents will be assigned to teams on Friday night at my discretion.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Ad Hoc Texas Side Event Weekend (8/10/19)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament happened yesterday, thanks to everyone who has able to be there, and I hope everyone had a great time!

After 9 rounds, our SuperAcronym champion was "Here Come the Pretzels" (Flowers, Escandell, Ugolini, Fritz), and the runners-up were "waging a senseless vendetta against America's top young geographers" (Golden, Broussard, Doyle, Huff). "30-50 Feral Ima Hoggs" came in 3rd.

After 6 rounds of Unanswered Question, the team of Nathan Weiser, Ethan Russo, and Arthur Lee won going 5-1. The runners up were the team of Andy Huff and John Luke Broussard who went 4-2.

Stats for both of these have been uploaded: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5867/
Ryan Humphrey