NAQT eligibility changes for 2018-19 (update)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT eligibility changes for 2018-19 (update)

Post by Important Bird Area »

Cross-posted from the high school section:

For the 2018–2019 competition year, NAQT has made a number of relatively minor changes to its eligibility rules and rules governing qualification for some national championships.

Full details
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: NAQT eligibility changes for 2018-19 (update)

Post by Important Bird Area »

We have revised the text of our eligibility rules as follows:

D. 3. Individuals wishing to compete at middle school tournaments must be enrolled in grade 8 or below during the school year corresponding to the competition year of the tournament.

4. Individuals wishing to compete at middle school tournaments who are in homeschool programs, academic programs without grades, or academic programs that do not use standard American grades must not have turned 15 years old as of March 31 during the competition year—in other words, they must still be 14 or younger as of March 31.

5. Individuals with special circumstances of any kind may request an exception to these rules by e-mailing [email protected] at least 14 days in advance of the first tournament for which they wish to be granted an exception.
Our thanks to all of the community members who provided feedback on the previous version of our text.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred