Alabama quiz bowl article in Aerospace America

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
osbornrj
Lulu

Alabama quiz bowl article in Aerospace America

Post by osbornrj »

A big thanks again to everyone who helped AIAA GHS and ASCA with the online Alabama State Championships in April and May. An article about the tournaments was recently published in the Bulletin section of the September 2021 edition of Aerospace America:
http://www.omagdigital.com/publication/ ... &ver=html5
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
K@b00m
Lulu

Re: Alabama quiz bowl article in Aerospace America

Post by K@b00m »

This is so interesting, Ms. Osborn! Thanks for putting this out! I just have one quick question: Who took this photo? I may have taken it, but I can't recall. Even if I didn't, that's OK- I didn't notice myself on there with Midhun, Sarah, Kenny, and Luke 😅.
Kapil Nathan

Bumpus MS, Alabama '18; Hoover HS, Alabama '22; somewhere '26
2019 (both), 2020 (JV), 2021 Varsity ASCA State Champion
5th Place Solo JV NH Bowl 2019
US History Bee Varsity Division Champion 2021
National Political Science Bee Champion JV 2020
National Science and Political Science Bee Varsity 3rd place Finisher 2021
International Geography Bee 3rd place JV 2020, 4th place Varsity 2021
Varsity National History Bee Semifinalist 2020 and 2021
osbornrj
Lulu

Re: Alabama quiz bowl article in Aerospace America

Post by osbornrj »

Hi Kapil,

The following link includes the original Zoom screen capture:
https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/bulle ... tin-item-3

The link I posted in my previous post contained the same article, but the link was to the pdf of the article within the magazine. Keep in mind that Aerospace America is, first and foremost, a hardcopy magazine. For the magazine, the copy editor modified the image to minimize the black, empty regions of the image and consolidate it so it would be more suitable for print. I can see how the image is confusing since it was altered.

I took that screen capture not knowing at the time that it would be the best image I would have for the Aerospace America article. I was actually hoping for photos of the HS teams with their trophies, but that ended up not working out because it was so close to the end of the school year. I requested photos, but I guess either the teams didn't get their trophies within that week or two before school was out for the summer, or the coaches were simply too busy with it being the final days of the school year.

I did notice that your camera was disabled in that moment that I took the photo in the Zoom session. I announced that I wanted to take a screen capture. That's why several students are smiling and giving a thumbs up. I believe I took it just prior to the start of the last match of the tournament. I assumed that since you kept your camera off that you didn't want to be in the screen capture. That might have been a bad assumption, but I was just taking the image on a whim, not knowing I'd later use it for anything. However, it ended up being the ONLY image I had from the high school tournament. I do apologize if it was just a case where you didn't know I was taking the image, or just hadn't yet turned on your camera, or you were having technical issues at that moment. I do wish I could have gotten everyone in the image.

Just for the record - I checked with the coaches to be sure it was okay for AIAA, Jacobs, and/or ERC to use the image. For Sparkman I was able to check directly with parents since they're a team local to my area. For Hoover, I checked with the coaches to be sure they could tell me that parents would not have an issue with use of the image.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)