What to Do with a nAC Invitation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

What to Do with a nAC Invitation

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Well, it's that time of year again, when :chip: decides to send out invitations to various schools for various reasons because his nAC field is looking a little slim. We were one of these teams for both of the last two years. And each year we've decided to do something about it: destroy the invitation in some way, a la Lindsey Graham. Last year, we ended up turning the invitation into an origami paper crane. That was one of the options moved this year. However, there were others. The list of motions by the time we closed the floor for this was as follows:

1. Turn the invitation into an origami paper crane (last year's choice).
2. Burn it.
3. Shred it.
4. Tie the invitation to a balloon filled with helium, then release it, so the invitation floats away.

The ayes and nays on each (those that came to practice today were eligible to vote):

1. Ayes - 7; Nays - 1
2. Ayes - 5; Nays - 1; Abstentions - 2
3. Ayes - 3; Nays - 3; Abstentions - 2
4. Ayes - 5; Nays - 0; Abstentions - 3

These results meant that three options received majority support. Instead of attempting to narrow it down to one, we decided to do all of them in the following manner:

1. Turn the invitation into a paper crane first.
2. Burn the paper crane.
3. Take the ashes and place them inside a balloon.
4. Fill the balloon with helium, then tie off.
5. Release the balloon, filled with nAC invitation ashes.

Is this overkill? Do any of the rest of you have creative ways to destroy your nAC invitations? Is that a thing?
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: What to Do with a nAC Invitation

Post by Cody »

now this I can get behind. awesome.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Antonio777100
Lulu

Post by Antonio777100 »

I wish that I could have done any of these things to the nAC invitation my team received. After all my arguments against going to nAC, and since we didn't qualify for any other nationals, we are still going to nAC.
Antonio Jimenez

Cardinal Spellman High School '17
University of Pennsylvania '21
Member, PACE
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Antonio777100 wrote:I wish that I could have done any of these things to the nAC invitation my team received. After all my arguments against going to nAC, and since we didn't qualify for any other nationals, we are still going to nAC.
Well that's a darn shame. I'll just note that we found out after the fact that a tournament we had planned on attending was running QU questions; after we couldn't go as a result of a scheduling conflict, we went to a tournament with good questions. Talk about dodging a bullet! I have to wonder: if we had gone to that tournament, could we have been sucked in to attending the nAC?
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24