Participating in Online Tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jij03
Lulu

Participating in Online Tournaments

Post by jij03 »

Hi. I see a lot of Online tournament mirrors and was curious as to how one would go about participating in one of these types of tournaments. Also, how does one go about beginning to play online games on Skype and Discord?
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: Participating in Online Tournaments

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Generally the organizer of the online tournament will post in a thread about logistics for forming teams, registration, etc. From there the registered team usually just gets a link/email to the specific Discord/Skype server, and it's up to you to make an account and be there on time. If you're asking about specific usage guides for various platforms, you'll probably just have to get familiar with that as you use them. Generally there are some online-only customs that are pretty easy to catch on to quickly (e.g. for bonuses you have to be much more clear about directing your final answers).

Note, however, that usually these online tournaments are meant for playtesting, or giving a chance to play to those wouldn't be able to attend these tournaments otherwise (either because of geographic location or not being in school anymore). From your signature, I'm assuming that you're in HS, and in a well-developed quizbowl area, so personally I think you should focus your resources on attending physical events, most of which should (?) be mirrored in your area. Of course sometimes there are just strict conflicts, and you shouldn't take that suggestion as "never play an online tournament," but, you know, be reasonable.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 pm From your signature, I'm assuming that you're in HS, and in a well-developed quizbowl area, so personally I think you should focus your resources on attending physical events
You'd be right that I'm in HS. Granted, One could argue that the KC area is absolutely horrendous, but really there are 3 schools in that area that go out of city to play. (NKC and St. Pius X are the other 2 main ones IMO). My school Plays NAQT, House writes, and a little bit of HFT. I want to explore playing different styles like ACF, NASAT, etc. And figured I could do so through Skype and Discord. Thanks for the response!
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

In addition to full tournaments, people read old packets on the quizbowl Discord from time to time.
Matt
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

A Very Long Math Tossup wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:55 pm In addition to full tournaments, people read old packets on the quizbowl Discord from time to time.
A-ha! Thank you for that info. that's what i was looking for
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25