To NAQT: Ask Ken Jennings to Promote Pyramidal Quiz Bowl on Twitter ASAP

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

To NAQT: Ask Ken Jennings to Promote Pyramidal Quiz Bowl on Twitter ASAP

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

The primetime Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time Tournament is receiving higher ratings than Game 1 of last year's NBA Finals and World Series. There seem to be more eyeballs on J! than at any other point in history, and we can anticipate a tremendous number for today, in which Ken Jennings may very well win the whole tournament. His Twitter has been exploding with attention recently, and it will explode even further should he win. NAQT has a unique and historic opportunity to get more eyeballs from its target demographic (grandparents, parents, and teens interested in knowledge competitions) if it asked Ken to tweet (or retweet) substantive, complimentary info/links/promos about pyramidal quiz bowl and its offerings for students across middle school, high school, and college.

It's true that NAQT's name has appeared on-air on Jeopardy, as pointed out in NAQT's page on media outreach. It's also true that the same page lists promos and articles that constitute media mentions of NAQT. And yet both articles listed have fewer than 100 comments, and the onscreen mention of NAQT on Larissa Kelly's J! promo honestly doesn't help anyone actually figure out what NAQT does (to an untrained observer, it might look like a question-writing company for adult bar trivia contestants!). There's also no indication of how to sign up for tournaments near where a reader is situated. There's no substantive knowledge about pyramidal quiz bowl that has penetrated the cultural consciousness except for a couple Slate articles, which very few people read (unless Ken retweets that Slate article he wrote while he has national primetime attention!).

If he's not willing to do this, that's one thing, and it should be respected. But he has gone to bat for quiz bowl before, and it doesn't hurt NAQT to ask. But for NAQT to sacrifice its one chance to get its name out there in a serious, sustained way will be the greatest single missed opportunity to grow our activity ever.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12

meebles127
Lulu

Re: To NAQT: Ask Ken Jennings to Promote Pyramidal Quiz Bowl on Twitter ASAP

Post by meebles127 »

I would like to second Ankit's suggestion. Throughout my outreach efforts in various activities, notably quizbowl and FIRST Robotics, it is much easier to convince someone to come to a meeting if it's something they've heard of before. FIRST has accomplished this by appearing in a Netflix documentary as well as several ESPN specials, not to mention RoboLeague in Michigan that airs on ESPN3. The world has thousands of eyes on Ken Jennings during this Jeopardy! GOAT tournament and having him mention quizbowl, or posting a short video on his twitter would be a great way to get thousands of people to know that the game exists. I've stated before that one of the largest barriers to outreach is making sure that people know your organization exists. Additionally, by getting Ken to tweet about this will expose the game to a large range of adults who might be looking for an activity for their children or teachers looking to coach an activity.

Now of course, if Ken does not want to tweet about quizbowl that is completely understandable but I think that NAQT should at least ask him to do so.
Emily Gunter

Salem High School (Salem, Virginia) '21
Captain 2018-Present

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"It's by Dali, it has the creepy clocks, but I can't remember its name!"

Vixor
Lulu

Post by Vixor »

I don’t know what to say other than that this is a good idea.
Vishal Rameshbabu
[James Clemens High School]

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is a Very Good Idea
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I very much agree with this, as someone who lives in a state that does a lot of business with NAQT.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Yes, this should happen!
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify creator, Colorado Quiz Bowl founder, PACE member

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I support promoting quizbowl and NAQT--if this could be done in an efficient, logical way, I'd be pleased (to be honest, Ken's Twitter, while entertaining, is also kind of...eccentric).

I do think though that NAQT is aware of this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We are aware of the tournament and have plans around it. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

meebles127
Lulu

Post by meebles127 »

Emily Gunter

Salem High School (Salem, Virginia) '21
Captain 2018-Present

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"It's by Dali, it has the creepy clocks, but I can't remember its name!"