It’s National “Please Don’t Cheat Day.” So please don’t.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

It’s National “Please Don’t Cheat Day.” So please don’t.

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hello. It’s that anniversary.

Some people will get annoyed that this is being brought up today, because that’s what happened the past year or two. The reason I’m posting isn’t to trash the most notable cheater associated with March 20; that’s been done enough, and as much as he deserved it, he has left quiz bowl and probably/hopefully will never try to come back.

The reason I’m posting is two-fold: one, to remind younger players of the pain that cheating causes others, and two, to point out that we’re entering a period where cheating can very easily happen.

So far, I think every notable tournament left this year except for HSNCT has been canceled or postponed. The natural way to respond to this is to fill those gaps in the schedule with online events.

Cheating in the upcoming Internet Charity Tournament, for example, is obviously not as high stakes as cheating at NAQT’s ICT. But it’s going to be a lot easier to cheat at, just because of the circumstances of how these events will be played.

But if you cheat, you’re stealing enjoyment and recognition away from talented and hardworking people. I saw the pain this caused the teams deprived of appropriate recognition when they didn’t win the titles they should have at the affected ICTs. I saw the pain it caused the cheater’s teammates, who didn’t realize that what they had accomplished was irrevocably tainted by the actions of a cheater.

Also, if you cheat and are caught, you will become a social pariah. Quiz bowl has a lot of fantastic people, almost all of whom are smart, kind, funny, and caring.

It’s sociopathic behavior that’s completely uncaring of the experiences of others. It’s filling your coffers with fool’s gold, earning false accomplishments that truly mean nothing.

So please don’t cheat, today, this year, or ever. Thank you.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
vinteuil
Auron

Re: It’s National “Please Don’t Cheat Day.” So please don’t.

Post by vinteuil »

AKKOLADE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:00 am Also, if you cheat and are caught, you will become a social pariah.
I fear that this is increasingly not the case, due to the prevalence of cheating on Discord packets (and Facebook "guess the" groups).

I've been wondering how we manage this as a community. My instinct is to draw a hard line and just ban proven cheaters from the Discord/groups (not to mention in-person competition) altogether. I understand why people are reluctant to do so for a supposedly "minor" offence; but if we want online quizbowl to ever be taken remotely seriously, then cheating on it can't be a minor offence. The problem, of course, is that anybody with half a brain can cheat in a way that's not provable.

I don't really have a solution, but I can only reiterate what Fred said: don't cheat! And don't defend it when people cheat!!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago