Odd Ways of Learning Things

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: Odd Ways of Learning Things

Post by Santa Claus »

Stefan HSQBRankovich wrote:
cornfused wrote:All of my Isambard Kingdom Brunel knowledge comes from Hark! A Vagrant.
I'm pretty sure these are the only reasons I'm aware of anything that's actually useful in any way.
I can attest to the amount of knowledge one gets from webcomics, being an avid reader of Harkavagrant and xkcd myself.

I first-lined the tossup on Utah at the 2014 HSNCT off the name of their former attorney general John Swallow. I had previously looked him up because a separate (and far less important) person with the same name had developed a neutrally-buoyant float used in Lagrangian current analysis, and because that's the kind of thing you have to study in Ocean Sciences Bowl. As the John Swallow I was looking for had no Wikipedia article I remembered his name to be the same as the encumbent attorney general of Utah. When I got that buzz, I found out he was removed from office though.

I also got the question on the Chesapeake Bay in the last few games of the 2015 HSNCT because I went there for an OSB award trip that summer and I ate blue crab.

EDIT:
That, and I spent a lot of time poring over US fishing statistics from 2012, divided both by state and by type of catch (in 2011 blue crab over took dungeness as the gross earner, but every other year, including all the years since, it's been a close second).

A few more things I remembered:

I powered a question on Hillary Clinton after it reused a clue I had negged on three years prior, because it mentioned the name of her book "It Takes a Village". I had buzzed because it shared its name with a fan-fiction I had read recently.

I have owned Theodore Gray's book "Elements" since like, seventh grade, and I've read it several dozen times. There are a ton of great clues for elements and specific compounds in that book, but that's not really appropriate for this thread. There is a much more convoluted way of getting questions right than just learning the clue outright.

On the page in "Elements" about neon, Theodore Gray plugs his friend Oliver Sacks' book "Uncle Tungsten" by mentioning how he walked through Times Square with a spectroscope. Since I enjoyed Gray's book so much, I went out of my way to check that book out of the library, along with a few other of Sacks' books. One of those was his "Oaxaca Journal", which detailed his visit to the Mexican province. One of the events he describes is getting one of his shirts dyed in a massive vat of cochineal pigment that had been harvested in the area, creating a deep red color. Five years later in senior English, we read Emily Dickinson's poem "Hummingbird" whose first lines are "A route of evanescence. With a revolving wheel; A resonance of emerald, A rush of cochineal". I powered a question on Dickinson on that clue.

Also I first-lined the tossup on the Vasa dynasty in STIMPY because the day we read it in practice there was a comic on the frontpage of /r/polandball that talked about the sinking of ship, and that was the clue they used.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

I first learned about Ocracoke Island because of a Wheel of Fortune contestant from there. She also talked about its weird dialect.

Another one I just remembered: I first heard about Ravel's Concerto for the Left Hand in my first-year engineering class. It was in the context of finger implants that needed to withstand a certain number of presses.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Considered Harmful
Lulu

Post by Considered Harmful »

I got the tossup on gamma rays at ACF Regionals on "bursts" because I remembered it from this. I also got a Jesus tossup at HSNCT last year on "Quest for the Historical [this man]" thanks to Eric Mukherjee's hsqb username.
Nicholas Sunderland
Lisgar CI '15
Waterloo '20
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Around occasionally wrote:I got the tossup on gamma rays at ACF Regionals on "bursts" because I remembered it from this. I also got a Jesus tossup at HSNCT last year on "Quest for the Historical [this man]" thanks to Eric Mukherjee's hsqb username.
Sort of the same thing has happened to me twice on the same answerline; I powered a Finland tossup based on Will Overman's hsqb username, Vainamoinen; I powered a different Finland tossup off of Rob Carson's hsqb username, ukonvasara.
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

got a question on Montauk once after eating some Pepperidge Farm cookies.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

I powered the MLK tossup on Cubans at the mention of Fort Chaffee, which I know because there was a Ghost Adventures episode there.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
gerbilownage
Lulu

Post by gerbilownage »

I once got a DII SCT question on mangoes on a clue about their Tommy Atkins variety, because when I was on vacation in Hawaii in 5th grade, I was skimming a book that discussed mangoes. The only reason I remember the Tommy Atkins variety was because the author spent five pages just talking about how tommy atkins were literally the worst variety of mango and how literally every other variety tasted better and more unique, but because it was easy to grow them in florida everybody started growing them.
Laurence Li
Westview HS '13
Yale '17
Harvard '20
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

Got two-thirds of a bonus on Kingdom Hearts at ACF Fall because my sister used to play it.
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I once learned about Shlomo Shekelburg from a now forbidden zoned post necessitating this edit.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Andruwxnsa
Lulu

Post by Andruwxnsa »

During our game against Northwestern at ACF Nationals, notable demigod Michael Coates got a tossup on Marfan syndrome second line. When we asked him about it after the game, he said that he buzzed on the clue about the Ghent criteria because he had once gotten tested for Marfan syndrome using the described procedure. We ended up winning the game by one tossup.
Rohin Devanathan
Northwestern '25?
UC Berkeley '20
Solon High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I got a question at ICT based on [entity] knowledge.

Don't post content from unclear sets! --Mgmt.

Edit: I'm stupid, thought that would be vague enough. you should probably FZ this and I'll just repost when set is clear. my bad.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Andruwxnsa wrote:During our game against Northwestern at ACF Nationals, notable demigod Michael Coates got a tossup on Marfan syndrome second line. When we asked him about it after the game, he said that he buzzed on the clue about the Ghent criteria because he had once gotten tested for Marfan syndrome using the described procedure. We ended up winning the game by one tossup.
And Northwestern was exactly as salty about this as you'd expect.

:oops:
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I got the Brahms question at SCT--which mentioned he was liked by Eduard Hanslick--because of this post
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

I firstlined a tossup on adagios from a YouTube comment about Albinoni's Adagio that I had read the previous day.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

I've gotten more than one Swedish history tossup by listening to Sabaton's album Carolus Rex
Alex Wallace
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

So, K-pop.

Underneath all the flashy music videos, ridiculous choreographies, cultural appropriation, and synthesizing like there’s no tomorrow, K-pop actually has a surprisingly large amount of culturally and academically relevant content hidden in its lyrics, visuals, and marketing. The casual listener definitely doesn’t pick up on these, and much of it is lost through translation. Many fans probably don’t even know it when they see it, simply because the references are too obscure or foreign to merit a second look. But when you’ve been playing quizbowl, certain things certainly pop out at you.

Let’s take a look at “Spring Day” by BTS. This is a nice song with a pretty video and a bunch of attractive guys. My life experience tells me that that list is, to most fans, in order of increasing importance. Now, look at this still from the video:
I kinda freaked out when I saw this, because, like, what? The number one song in the country throws in a reference to Ursula K. Le Guin? I can guarantee you that almost no BTS fan had heard of "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" or Le Guin before this video was released.

BTS has, in the past five years, risen from a nobody to the country’s biggest stars. When fans figured out that their most recent album (of which “Spring Day” is a part) was based on Hermann Hesse’s Demian, sales of that book apparently went wild in Korea.

...I digress. I guess my main thesis is that because the promotion of a song has so many more components in Korea than in the US - musical acts often pull off an n-tuple act of singer, actor, dancer, producer, TV host, radio host, etc… so there’s a lot more creative room to be able to fit in references.

Much of my arts/philo/SS knowledge actually comes from looking up people name-dropped in Korean tracks… in “Zutter”, you have TOP rapping, “Francis Bacon in my kitchen / I’m like Calder dancing on top of your head”.

Hey, it gets me points, okay?
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Last year's ACF Fall had a tossup on Voodoo that I firstlined because of Pedro Cerrano's shrine with hot pepper rum in Major League.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I first-lined a question on the history of quiz bowl after writing a lecture on the significance of trivia in modern society for a group of septuagenarian retired professors.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

Got a tossup on the Zoot Suit Riots on a Chicago Open being used for practice because of this song.
Alex Wallace
J. Young
Wakka

Post by J. Young »

I once powered a tossup on "Liberty or Death" because of my old Culpeper Flag Facebook profile picture.
Justin Young
Longfellow MS '16
McLean HS '20; Captain
Achievement: Walked route of Pickett's Charge
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I, when the set wasn't clear, wrote:I got a question at ICT based on [entity] knowledge.
I got a tossup at ICT based on Guardians of Ga'Hoole knowledge.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

It occurred to me that I wasn't the only person using the internet in 2009 and maybe someone else in quiz bowl also first came across "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" through this one flash game on Kongregate. If not, could be an amusing diversion anyway.
Richard
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

armitage wrote:It occurred to me that I wasn't the only person using the internet in 2009 and maybe someone else in quiz bowl also first came across "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" through this one flash game on Kongregate. If not, could be an amusing diversion anyway.
or a real game about poetry
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

I think I once first-lined a tossup on axes during practice because I'd watched a Buzzfeed Unsolved episode on the Axeman of New Orleans.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Hypersmart
Lulu

Post by Hypersmart »

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm I think I once first-lined a tossup on axes during practice because I'd watched a Buzzfeed Unsolved episode on the Axeman of New Orleans.
I once first-lined a tossup about the year 2000 because I saw an SNL skit. The buzzword was "lockbox".
Veer R

Post by No1AtBeingMediocore »

First lined a shingles clue because I remembered "If you've had chickenpox, the shingles virus is already inside you"

Thank you, random 2000s drug commercial!
Alex Olin
Traverse City Central '20
My best match
Good at everything that isn't art
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

I firstlined the BHSAT 2019 tossup on "The Buddha" cause I remembered that in Cartoon History of the Universe, the Buddha eating pork was a repeated thing that happened.
thederpyaxolotl
Wakka

Post by thederpyaxolotl »

I firstlined a WW2 question from info I got from a magazine I impulse bought while I was bored at a European airport.
caro

chicago 25