I found the creator of Vanderbilt ABC

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

I found the creator of Vanderbilt ABC

Post by AKKOLADE »

Randy Buehler, who did Magic the Gathering stuff for awhile.

If you have any questions about early Vanderbilt stuff (c. 1990), let me know and I'll ask him.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Re: I found the creator of Vanderbilt ABC

Post by stevebahnaman »

In 2003 or so, I took over Randy Buehler's fantasy baseball team in a league with Phil Groce and Charlie Steinhice and some other people. I have never met Randy. I do get a little mileage out of that story at Magic events though.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
fryede
Lulu

Post by fryede »

I worked at or TD'ed more than a dozen ABC's between 1992 and 1999. I can also answer a lot of questions anyone might have.
Darrell Frye
Vanderbilt 1992-1998
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Would you mind just sharing some random thoughts about the tournaments? I'm sure people would be interested in hearing about the development and history of the event (and if they aren't, screw 'em, because I definitely am).
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Awesome. I would be very interested in the history of Tennessee hs quizbowl in general and especially if west TN used to have more presence in the rest of the state. Also, how did ABC end up attracting so many far flung teams? Some kind of marketing or word of mouth?
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I played at the Vanderbilt ABC in the fall of 1993 for Clevelnd HS in Cleveland, TN. I think I remember having some matches Fridy evening and then more matches Saturday. I don't recall if the Friday matches were just scrimmages or if they counted as part of the actual tournament or not. I think that the prelims were followed by single elimination playoffs. This was the first tournament that I ever travelled and spent the night to attend. Cleveland, TN is about 3 hours from Nashville. It was a fun time in my recollection, but I don't recall what the match format was like or any of the other detIls. It certainly provided a vision for what quizbowl could be like in the future with large tournaments attracting teams from a large area. I guess that the sparseness of tournaments in the past led to more teams participating than we see today. I would love to know what kind of marketing/advertising that Vanderbilt did so long ago to attract such a large field.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I would like some clarification on an incident that has entered my high school quizbowl team's lore. Back in the 1990s my coach brought North Kansas City to the fall ABC with some regularity, and apparently one year, they went into the playoffs with a high seed, only to be eliminated by a not notable B team (I believe from Riverside?) because, according to my old coach, there were multiple questions relating to a specific science fiction series in the packet, and somebody on Riverside had clearly read those books. Do you have any recollection of such a packet?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White