Basketball + QB Tournament in the Southeast?

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Basketball + QB Tournament in the Southeast?

Post by AKKOLADE »

I vaguely remembered last night that there was a combination high school basketball & quiz bowl tournament somewhere in the southeast that Parkersburg South attended sometime between, oh, 1996-2000. They held tournaments for both and awarded scholarships to the winning teams.

Does anyone know the actual name of this tournament?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Basketball + QB Tournament in the Southeast?

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've been informed that this was the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I request a resurrection at some future summer tournament in the Midwest.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

My high school (White Station) attended the Beach Ball Classic several times in the period that it ran a quizbowl-style competition from 1998 to 2003 when they unfortunately stopped the quiz bowl component. The quizbowl/Jeopardy-ish component was called "Academic Olympics"; it may have been run by the people responsible for the still-existent Horry County Academic Olympics.

There were indeed cash/scholarship prizes. I think our school either won it or was the runner-up in 2002 (edit: we were the runner-up to Seton Hall Prep) since I know a member of our 2002-2003 team had been on it but we didn't go in 2003. Each member of our team got something like $1,500 that my old high school coach used to brag was "enough for one of those laptop computers." It looks like the winning team split a hefty $21.5k. My understanding is that it was videotaped in some form or another since I vaguely recall watching a VHS tape of it one day at JV practice in 2003.

I actually was able to use this connection in talking to a coach in the Philly area whose school also went to that tournament during those years. It seems to have been fondly remembered by those who went. It would be cool if more quizbowl tournaments could team up with sporting events and/or secure major corporate sponsorships (one source says that up to $100,000 may have been provided in some years for the quizbowl teams alone).
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA