Chris Ray vs. Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering | 2006

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Snom
Lulu

Chris Ray vs. Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering | 2006

Post by Snom »

It seems it's the time to dig up the lost internet history of Quiz Bowl past. While I was three when this game occurred and wouldn't play quiz bowl for almost a decade, as Mik Larsen noted on Discord: "quizbowl loves to beat Chris Ray jokes into the ground for whatever reason, thus it became part of the lore".

*clears throat* I was very disappointed to find that no matter how hard I searched, no currently-online website had a link to this most legendary of quiz bowl videos. The Wayback Machine provided only the shell of a Flash video player, but that was enough! One hidden clue lead to another and the pieces fell together to reveal a working URL to a long-neglected .flv file, still hosted deep within the bowels of ASU's media server. With only the most dreadful of download speeds (not even enough to stream video!), I made off with my hard-earned prize before it could disappear yet again. I present to you, in all its bad quizbowl 240p glory... </tomfoolery>

ASU Academic Bowl 2006 | Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering vs. College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

You can confirm for yourself that

In all seriousness though, this is from 2006. It still has 10,000x better production quality than 2019 ACF Nats, and seems to be well attended and watched to boot (at least enough for ASU and PBS eight to continue airing the series to this day)! I guess the scholarship money prize has something to do with that though.
Albert Zhang
Columbia '24
State College '16-'20
Snom
Lulu

Re: Chris Ray vs. Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering | 2006

Post by Snom »

It has come to my attention that all the audio after the 15:05 mark is missing. This is true of the file hosted on ASU/KAET servers (confirmed through multiple downloads) and is also true when played back through the flash video player present on the website in 2009 when the old URLs are edited to the modern hostname. I've also tried removing all the metadata from the flv file (not an uncommon source of problems), with no success. There are a few possibilities here:

1. The original video as hosted on the PBS website sometime prior to 2008 had full audio, and when the site was updated in 2008 or 2009, something about the video file was screwed up.
2. The original video had incomplete audio.
3. (very unlikely) The video file was for some reason modified on the data server after links to the 2006 video were removed, but before now.

If you are old enough to remember watching this video, please share if you remember the audio being present for the second half! If you just happen to have a copy of the video with full audio lying around somewhere, that's even better.
Albert Zhang
Columbia '24
State College '16-'20
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Chris Ray vs. Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering | 2006

Post by theMoMA »

I did watch the video back in the day, and I seem to recall that it had audio all the way through.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum