JAVA 2021

Old college threads.
jaimiec
Lulu

JAVA 2021

Post by jaimiec »

This is the announcement for JAVA (Jaimie's Astounding Visual Arts), an open visual tournament which will be held on Discord June 26th.

This tournament is 8 visual packets with 20 powermarked powerpoint tossups each.

Tournament written by Jaimie Carlson. Thanks to JinAh Kim, Jordan Brownstein, and Kellie Carlson for playtesting.

The distribution of this tournament is a bit unorthodox, and is as follows:

5 "whimsical commonlinks": Answerlines at the common-knowledge level, but with extremely varied sources from mostly art, a little trash. Many of these are "description acceptable." For what the endorsement is worth, I playtested these with family members who do not enjoy quizbowl, and they still had a good time using context clues and making guesses, and always got the questions by the end.
4 "mainstream art": Mostly commonlinks, but more normal than the last section. Slightly outre answerlines that could probably be tossed up at ACF Regionals, certainly at ACF Nationals, without too much aggravation.
3 "hard artists": Artists I want to include in tournaments but could never include at regular difficulty. Nats - CO plus. It's much easier for me to convince you to care about my favorite obscure artists when I can show you how cool their art looks :)
3 "vicarious tourism": Travel plans canceled due to COVID? Join me in endlessly browsing Atlas Obscura and playing Geoguessr to look at the art and architecture of cool places to visit. Common-knowledge level by the end.
5 "secretly not art at all": Pretending to be art, but may actually be: trash, literature, history, archaeology, or science. (Or things that could be the subject of long and contentious debate whether they're art or one of the above). Trash here mostly means sci-fi movies or TV. These were also playtested and enjoyed by a non-quizbowl crew.

Disclaimer: this is a vanity tournament, and is very whimsical. There are a few incredibly questionable ideas that I kept in anyway, and a few very specific subgenres that come up way too many times. You cannot say I didn't warn you of this. If you like questions I have written for Scattergories, or some of the more absurd Penn Bowl / Regionals questions that I have foisted upon you, you will probably enjoy this.

The vast majority of the art is 20th century Western art (probably 1-2 non-Western, 2-3 non-20th-century art per packet). Painting, sculpture, architecture, photography, film, and fashion all make an appearance in art subgenres.

My ideal scenario would be for this to be played online sometime in the summer, and for the entrance fee to be "donate $10 to charity." At a rough guess, it would take about 4-5 hours to run, but I still have to figure out some logistics - email me at [email protected] if you're interested in helping me organize a Discord tournament.

If you would like to play this tournament, fill out this form so I can gauge interest: https://forms.gle/osSBbByVrnqA4LHQ9

Thanks!

EDIT 5/29: You can sign up to play or staff here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by jaimiec on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
UPenn, B.S.E., Bioengineering & Computer Science, 2018
UPenn, M.S.E., Robotics, 2019
Software Engineer, Amazon Robotics
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: JAVA 2021

Post by Smuttynose Island »

YES! Very excited for this.

Would this be a doubles, triples, or quad event?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Depends on the interest level - I'd imagine doubles, but would switch to standard 4 person teams if there are more people interested! If there are fewer people, I'm also fine with playing one very long shootout :)
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Cool!
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Based on the responses to this poll (and my own schedule), June 26 will be the day!
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Looking for a teammate for this.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

jaimiec wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 pm EDIT 5/29: You can sign up to play or staff here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
In case other doofuses like me missed this, Jaimie added a signup sheet to the main announcement!
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

jaimiec wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 pm Based on the responses to this poll (and my own schedule), June 26 will be the day!
What time will it be held?
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

More logistics info will be sent out after signup. Tentatively, it will start at 11 AM EST, probably have a mini lunch break around 2 PM EST, and probably run until 4 PM EST.
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Reminder that I'm also looking for moderators to read for this tournament! Moderators will get $10 (which I figure is about the cost of providing lunch), and hopefully a half-day's entertainment.

I see a lot of teamless free agents; please reach out to one another to form teams and remember to take your name off the free agents list if you have joined a team.

Registration will end June 20!
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Reminder that registration is ending today; if you are a free agent who hasn't found a team yet, please reach out to other free agents by the end of today!

If you aren't able to find another person to team with, please consider signing up to moderate the tournament! As it stands, we still need quite a few moderators in order to be able to run the tournament.
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Registration is closing in a few hours. Currently at 17 teams - capping the field at 18 teams but trying to reach that number. Last call for signing up as the 18th team!

EDIT: If your team does not have a name, please give yourself a name by tonight, or I will assign you a silly one.
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
jaimiec
Lulu

Post by jaimiec »

Going to extend the registration, because we currently have 17 teams, which is not the most bracketing-friendly number. Feel free to join as a single agent as the 18th team if you want!

EDIT: Registration is now closed, as we have 18 teams. Please sign up for staffing - we need at least 2 more people to be able to run the tournament!
Jaimie Carlson
CSW, 2014
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

What is the format going to be for this tournament?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:10 am What is the format going to be for this tournament?
Selfishly, I'd love to be able to play all 8 packets. But I don't know if the number of teams makes that feasible.

EDIT: Oops, sorry I hadn't seen the logistics email yet when I posted this.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Is there going to be another mirror/reading? Would like to play this some time.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14