MUT 2012 at Minnesota (4/14/12)

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

MUT 2012 at Minnesota (4/14/12)

Post by Cheynem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 pm

This is a general announcement for the main site of MUT (Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament), which will be held on April 14.

The tournament will take place in Blegen Hall on the West Bank. More details to follow once room reservations are confirmed.

General information about the tournament can be found here http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=12309.

Costs and other discounts
Base fee: $100
Buzzer discount: -$5
Moderator: -$10
Travel: -$10 if over 200 miles by Google maps

Register by sending an e-mail to me (e-mail in profile).

Note about eligibility:

This tournament is for undergraduates. You can be any year in playing as an undergraduate as long as you are in a typical degree-earning program. By undergraduate, I am defining as "have not earned a bachelor's degree" or the equivalent of such (i.e., you can have played five years of college quizbowl and still be an undergraduate).

You can play if you are a high schooler.

You cannot play if you are not in school at all. If you graduated like in the fall, you can play--that's cool.

You cannot play on an open team. You must play for your college or educational institution (obviously if you need to "go rogue" as a high schooler that's okay).

You cannot play if you are a graduate student.

FIELD LIST
House (TBD number, probably 3-4)
Iowa State (1)
Rogue High School Team (1)
Lawrence (1)
Morris (1)
Wisconsin (1)
Carleton (2)
University of St. Thomas (1)
St. Paul Central (1)
Wayzata (1)

The field is now closed at 12-14 teams.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

suchacardinal
Lulu

Re: MUT 2012 at Minnesota (4/14/12)

Post by suchacardinal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 pm

The jury is still out as to whether or not we'll be there. It's the day after we get back from KB State so there is still some uncertainty among my players about if they want to go or not. Also, will there be a reduced rate for rogue high school teams? Despite our school's massive amounts of money, they are quite cheap when it comes to the quiz bowl team's budget. As a result they aren't willing to pay for extra tournaments, hell there was speculation earlier this year that they weren't going to pay for NAQT nationals. In the past we've been able to pay $10/person but if that seems like too little I am more than willing to try and work out something.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12
University of Virginia '16

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey, if there's a 14th team that wants to play this tournament, please contact me immediately and you can play at an extremely discounted rate.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Wendish Crusade
Lulu

Post by Wendish Crusade » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Cheynem wrote:Hey, if there's a 14th team that wants to play this tournament, please contact me immediately and you can play at an extremely discounted rate.
I could possibly be tempted to split the Iowa State team—I have five players currently, and shuffling players in and out just isn't fun—but we're already pretty bad and that would kinda make things worse. I can run this past my team tomorrow night if necessary, but you're likely better off finding a "real" 14th team.
Sam Gafkjen
Iowa State, '05-'12
Central Florida, '12-

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 pm

See what you think. Note that 13 teams isn't a completely bad number to work with, either, although I think the most optimal format there is a 13 team round robin, which might get a little long.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:46 am

Carleton A (Car$ten, Chuck E. Rosenthal, Fronk, Emily) went undefeated to clear the field and win this tournament. In second place was Minnesota B, followed by Wayzata. Full stats posted at some point.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Wendish Crusade
Lulu

Post by Wendish Crusade » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:12 am

Is it too late to change my mind? This was too drat long. That or I'm too old to leave Ames at 5 am and get back at 11 pm.

Don't get me wrong, we stayed willingly and had fun (did we actually win that last match or was that just a hallucination? it's hard to tell anymore), just... sheesh. Zombie quizbowlers by the end :wink:
Sam Gafkjen
Iowa State, '05-'12
Central Florida, '12-

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 am

Yeah, apologies to any team who had to make a longish drive today--we were done by like 6 PM, but I realize that's still kind of late for a tournament of this nature. Definitely something we'll keep in mind for next year. That said, you really can't complain about not getting your money's worth for rounds at this tournament! :wink:
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Stats:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Obviously ignore the fact that it says Wayzata and Carleton B played a 6 tossup round.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Cheynem wrote:Stats:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Obviously ignore the fact that it says Wayzata and Carleton B played a 6 tossup round.
And Wayzata got 13 TUs against Lawrence, who got 9, in the last round.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:43 pm

That's weird--it still says 20 tossups were heard too (for some reason I thought it warned you if such an obvious error was made). I presume Lawrence got far less tossups because that would also explain why their bonus conversion was so low that round too.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Cheynem wrote:That's weird--it still says 20 tossups were heard too (for some reason I thought it warned you if such an obvious error was made). I presume Lawrence got far less tossups because that would also explain why their bonus conversion was so low that round too.
FB chat with James says that it felt like a terrible round bonus-wise, but not THAT bad. I'll bet that they actually got seven TUs, which would put them at 12.8 PPB.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne