This tournament is designed as an introduction to quiz bowl where novice players can play against teams of similar skill on questions that reward their level of knowledge. It is intended to give new players a positive first experience and get them hooked on playing.
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
- i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
- ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
- iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
- iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
Base fee: $15 per player. It is encouraged for teams to be composed of no more than 4 to maximize playing opportunities.
Buzzers: -$5 per functioning system with no less than eight working indicators
Staff: -$5 per staff member (lunch will also be provided)
Travel Discount: -$10 for one-way travel in excess of 200 miles (verified via Google Maps)
Minimum fee: $5 per player
Checks or cash are accepted forms of payment. We cannot accept credit cards. Please make checks payable to "Academic Competition Organization at Virginia Tech."
Please contact me at jmchuberATvtDOTedu with the number of teams, buzzers, and/or staff you'll be bringing, along with a contact name and phone number for someone on the team on the day of the tournament. You are not considered to be registered until you receive confirmation from me saying so. Posting in this thread is not sufficient.