ACF Nationals 2019 - 4/13-14/2019 - University of Pennsylvania

Old college threads.
Ike
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals 2019 - 4/13-14/2019 - University of Pennsylvania

Post by Ike »

Jacob,

I do think this post could have been made in a way that doesn't come have a subtext feels denigrating to Columbia "Congratulations to Columbia, but . . ." No doubt you'll follow up with an apology or clarification here, but I'd question the sincerity of it, since I think it's pretty galling that we couldn't even wait until the day after they won the tournament to ask what I think is a poorly-framed question.

I would politely suggest that this question could have been framed better as "Was the superplayoff format ideal here?" and discuss it in as abstract terms as possible. There's no need to mention the winning team in framing a legitimate discussion point.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Ike wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm I do think this post could have been made in a way that doesn't come have a subtext feels denigrating to Columbia "Congratulations to Columbia, but . . ." No doubt you'll follow up with an apology or clarification here, but I'd question the sincerity of it, since I think it's pretty galling that we couldn't even wait until the day after they won the tournament to ask what I think is a poorly-framed question.
And here I was worried that I would sound like I was denigrating Chicago for having an easier playoff bracket! Columbia clearly fought their way to the top, and I mean them nothing but unconditional congratulations.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Cody wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:43 pm There is : here or on the Academic Competition Federation facebook page.
Hey, for the future, please don't ever stream quizbowl on facebook. It's a notoriously garbage streaming service which, on top of other issues, has literally zero mobile support! I was unable to listen to the finals because of this. Please try an actually respected streaming platform like Youtube next time.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The final two (mostly) unheard packets of ACF Nationals will be read on the Discord at 9 PM EST tomorrow, and the questions will be posted in short order after that.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Crazy Khan Tech
Wakka

Post by Crazy Khan Tech »

Minor error with the stats, but Tracy Mirkin should be listed as DII (which I think means he ought to have been recognized as a DII top scorer, but alas.)
Zach Knecht (he/him/his)

University of Michigan '25
University of Florida '21
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Crazy Khan Tech wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:41 am Minor error with the stats, but Tracy Mirkin should be listed as DII (which I think means he ought to have been recognized as a DII top scorer, but alas.)
This was fixed in the later stages and in the combined version of the stats. I'm not sure how many places were recognized at each level, but Tracy was third highest among D-II students in the prelims. My apologies if the correction didn't get passed along before the individual awards.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov