ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Post Reply
User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Swarthmore College Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will host the Mid-Atlantic site of this year's ACF Regionals on Saturday, January 26, 2019.

REGISTRATION:
To register, you must: AND
  • E-mail us at swarthmorequizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com with your number of teams, buzzers and staffers.
FEES:
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
New to quizbowl discount: -$100

"New to quizbowl" discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2017, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

PACKET SUBMISSION: Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2017 is required to submit a half-packet. Teams composed of people who have not played regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournaments prior to September 1, 2017, are not required to submit a half-packet, but may choose to do so by the no penalty deadline for a -$50 discount. For further details, please see the global tournament announcement.

LOCATION/LOGISTICS:
We will be conducting this tournament in Kohlberg Hall. Swarthmore's campus is accessible via the Swarthmore stop of the SEPTA Media/Elwyn regional rail line which connects to bus and Amtrak stops in Philadelphia. Free guest parking is also available in the Whittier and Ben West lots for the day.

Registration will open at 8:00 AM on the tournament day with a goal of starting rounds by 9:00. Further information will be distributed to registered teams closer to tournament day.


FIELD (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Rutgers (4/0/0)
Johns Hopkins (2/3/1)
UVA (1/0/0)
Princeton (1/1/0)
Penn (4/2/0)
UMD (2/1/2)
Delaware (1/2/0)
Georgetown (2/1/1)
Columbia (4/3/1)
George Washington University (1/1/1)

Field: 20 teams
Any further questions can be directed to me via PM or e-mail.
Last edited by Thaumatibis gigantea on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 am, edited 10 times in total.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

User avatar
Milhouse
Rikku
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:16 am

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:55 am

Could we get an update on the wait-list (preferably including in what order teams on it will be added)?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Writer, NAQT

User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 pm

My apologies for not updating the field list recently. Due to the overwhelming interest, I think unfortunately it would be best to implement a retroactive waitlist for schools intending to bring more than two teams until I can definitely secure more staff so that every school has the opportunity to participate in a quality tournament. Updating the field cap to 18, the field now stands as follows:

Teams will be admitted from the waitlist at the end of December in order of date of request for additional teams received (or if it was in your original registration, that date). Thanks for your understanding!

EDIT 12/30: see the first post for updated field listing
Last edited by Thaumatibis gigantea on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by vinteuil » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Has ACF contacted Swarthmore about connecting the club with external staff? I know that there are a huge number of quizbowl alums in the DC/College Park/Philly areas that would presumably be happy to staff if asked.
Jacob Reed
Chicago ~'25
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm

I am happy to announce that we will be able to admit all waitlist teams for an updated field of 24 teams which is now a cap pending staff. We would always still welcome any extra local staffers to help the tournament run even more efficiently (affiliated or not)– we can pay for your transportation and lunch. Please reach out to me on the boards or the Swarthmore Quizbowl gmail if you're interested.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am

To clarify, the field is up to date as I understand it. All staffers and teams should have received logistics e-mails this week– contact me immediately if you have any questions!
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Congratulations to University of Virginia for winning an advantaged final over Columbia A (350-245). Penn A came in third after losing to a play-in match for the final to Columbia. Congratulations also DII (and undergraduate) champions Maryland B and 2nd place Princeton.

Stats are up. Edits can be addressed to me or the e-mail listed in the top post.

Thank you to Alex Sankaran, Alex Dzurick, Chris Chiego, Connor Mayers, Frederic Bush, Steven Silverman, and all team staffers for giving up their day to make this long day run smoothly.Thanks also to Cody Voight for the scheduling help.
Last edited by Thaumatibis gigantea on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Swarthmore is a really good place to run tournaments, so I'm delighted that the team and the local staff pool has stepped up to the plate. Rebecca was a very helpful/communicative TD who made sure I didn't misfire with buying too early of a bus on the way back. I had a great day and I think the rest of Columbia did as well - now if only we could get SEPTA to run more than once an hour in the evening!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

alexdz
Rikku
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by alexdz » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm
...if only we could get SEPTA to run more than once an hour in the evening!
Hear, hear!

I want to echo what Charlie said from the staffing side. Rebecca is a fantastic TD and extremely good at communicating. I always knew exactly where I should be and when, and always had quick answers to any questions I had. I hope that Swarthmore continues to host often in the future!
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Coach, Harcum College (PA)
====
Former midwesterner (South Callaway - Mizzou - UIUC) coping with life on the east coast.

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by The Billiards Fool » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Swarthmore is a really good place to run tournaments, so I'm delighted that the team and the local staff pool has stepped up to the plate. Rebecca was a very helpful/communicative TD who made sure I didn't misfire with buying too early of a bus on the way back. I had a great day and I think the rest of Columbia did as well - now if only we could get SEPTA to run more than once an hour in the evening!
To continue the echoing: this tournament was wonderfully hosted and we had a ton of fun. Thanks for hosting!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by The Billiards Fool » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Since this may be relevant for A values, I believe the current stat sheet doesn't reflect the actual final standings.

Rutgers A and Columbia B both went 3-2 in the playoff bracket (including games carried over from prelims as specified by the schedule). Because we lost to Columbia C in the morning (who didn't make second bracket), we have a worse overall record on the day, and are therefore currently listed below Columbia B. However, our playoff records were both 3-2 and Rutgers had 251 PPG against the other teams in our playoff brackets while Col. B had 202 PPG. If I understand these things correctly, that should place us in 8th and Columbia B in 9th. I'm not sure if this occurred elsewhere but since A values are affected by order of finish I believe the statistics should reflect this fact (assuming I understand how final standings work).
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

tabstop
Wakka
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:48 am
Location: NNVA

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by tabstop » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 pm

The Billiards Fool wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Since this may be relevant for A values, I believe the current stat sheet doesn't reflect the actual final standings.

Rutgers A and Columbia B both went 3-2 in the playoff bracket (including games carried over from prelims as specified by the schedule). Because we lost to Columbia C in the morning (who didn't make second bracket), we have a worse overall record on the day, and are therefore currently listed below Columbia B. However, our playoff records were both 3-2 and Rutgers had 251 PPG against the other teams in our playoff brackets while Col. B had 202 PPG. If I understand these things correctly, that should place us in 8th and Columbia B in 9th. I'm not sure if this occurred elsewhere but since A values are affected by order of finish I believe the statistics should reflect this fact (assuming I understand how final standings work).
Several rounds of games in the Swarthmore stats are listed as 0 TUH, which will affect pts/TUH. I haven't gotten the calculator out yet to see if that was accounted for already. (EDIT: I meant to quote the post from the other thread about stats and A-values instead, but did not do so.)
Andrew Feist
Treasurer, ACF | VP of Technology, PACE

User avatar
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:34 pm

tabstop wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 pm
The Billiards Fool wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Since this may be relevant for A values, I believe the current stat sheet doesn't reflect the actual final standings.

Rutgers A and Columbia B both went 3-2 in the playoff bracket (including games carried over from prelims as specified by the schedule). Because we lost to Columbia C in the morning (who didn't make second bracket), we have a worse overall record on the day, and are therefore currently listed below Columbia B. However, our playoff records were both 3-2 and Rutgers had 251 PPG against the other teams in our playoff brackets while Col. B had 202 PPG. If I understand these things correctly, that should place us in 8th and Columbia B in 9th. I'm not sure if this occurred elsewhere but since A values are affected by order of finish I believe the statistics should reflect this fact (assuming I understand how final standings work).
Several rounds of games in the Swarthmore stats are listed as 0 TUH, which will affect pts/TUH. I haven't gotten the calculator out yet to see if that was accounted for already. (EDIT: I meant to quote the post from the other thread about stats and A-values instead, but did not do so.)
Thanks for pointing this out– combined stats have been updated to fix this issue. As far as I can tell, it looks to me like Ryan's spreadsheet had already fixed it.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack),
PACE Director of Communications and Swarthmore College Quizbowl President, 2020

Post Reply