Page 1 of 1

PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:12 pm
by kearnm7
Yale Student Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that our mirror of the “Pre-ICT and Nats Open” (PIANO) will be held on Yale's campus on Saturday, March 30, 2019.

The PIANO question set is being head-edited by Jacob Reed, a YSAC club member, and other YSACers are on the writing team. More information about the set is available here.

Location and Parking
The tournament will take place at Linsly-Chittenden Hall (LC) on Yale's main campus, located at 63 High St., New Haven, Connecticut. Please note that this is a different building from recent tournaments. In-person registration will begin at 8 A.M. The opening meeting will then commence promptly at 8:45 A.M. and the first round by 9 A.M. Teams are therefore strongly encouraged to plan their arrivals to allow time to find parking.

Many Yale parking lots within two to three blocks of LC are open to the public on weekends for free, including Lots 51, 77, 78, and 78W, shown here. Street parking is also available, as is garage parking in the Grove Street and Audubon Court garages, shown here.


Registration
If you would like to register for PIANO, please fill out this Google form. Those who wish to express interest or register as a "free agent" can do so via this spreadsheet. The field is capped at 16 teams.

Please be aware of our policy to prevent unannounced drops on the day of the tournament: if a registered team does not show up to the tournament and fails to notify the tournament director at least 12 hours in advance (barring extenuating circumstances), that team may be liable for a partial fee. While we know that unexpected situations do crop up, and we will try to be understanding, teams that fail to provide adequate warning for their no-shows are being fair to neither the host nor the other teams. This policy is not meant to punish teams that overestimate interest: registered teams will not be penalized for dropping out of the field so long as this does not happen within 12 hours of the announced tournament start time (9 A.M. on 3/30).


Payment
Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzer discount: -$5 per operative buzzer system with at least eight working buzzers
Moderator discount: -$5 per experienced scorekeeper or moderator
Travel discount: -$15 for teams traveling at least 200 miles one-way to New Haven
Minimum Fee: $80

Teams which bring nonfunctional buzzer systems or systems without power cords will have that discount rescinded.

Payment is possible via cash, check, or Venmo. If you plan to pay by Venmo (@YaleQB), please email bo.you@yale.edu and "cc" michael.kearney@yale.edu at the time of your payment so we can confirm receipt. If you plan to pay by check, the check must be made out to “Y. Student Academic Competitions.” Do NOT make checks payable to “Yale Student Academic Competitions.” Checks should be given to us on the day of the tournament, or, if that's not possible, they can be sent to:

Yale Student Academic Competitions
c/o Bo You
P.O. box #206008
Yale University
New Haven, CT 06520

Please ignore any other addresses you may have on file.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:16 pm
by kearnm7
Current Field—Teams/Buzzers/Staffers
MIT—1/1/0
"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Rahul"—1/2/0
Rutgers—2/0/0
NYU "Alumni"—2/0/0
"That d---ed Aremihc"—1/0/0
Karmacoma Chameleon—1/0/0
Harvard—2/2/0

Total—10/4/0

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm
by The Billiards Fool
Are there plans for side events?

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm
by ryanrosenberg
The Billiards Fool wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm
Are there plans for side events?
I'd also like to know about this. Interested in playing ACRONYM and Guerrilla History, potentially other things (although I'm not sure what exactly is available).

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:02 pm
by kearnm7
ryanrosenberg wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm
The Billiards Fool wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm
Are there plans for side events?
I'd also like to know about this. Interested in playing ACRONYM and Guerrilla History, potentially other things (although I'm not sure what exactly is available).
Poll for side events (Saturday 3/30).

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:11 pm
by kearnm7
We are currently planning to run a side event following a conclusion of the tournament, though this is dependent on interest, as well as staffer/room constraints. I'd encourage everyone who's registered and would be interested in playing particular side events to indicate such in the poll. I'll update you all more once the field fills out and we have a better sense of things.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:19 pm
by kearnm7
Two updates:

First, the field currently stands at 7 teams - if there are other interested teams, I'd encourage them to sign up by this weekend so we can sort out the tournament's format. If the field holds at 7, Yale will field a house team.

Second, based on the results of the side-event poll posted up-thread, we plan to run a mirror of ACRONYM 12 following the conclusion of PIANO (this will last, I assume, from 6 P.M.-9 P.M. - we will arrange delivery of dinner). The cost of the mirror is $10 per player, and the format is currently quadruples - a team formation spreadsheet is available here.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm
by The Billiards Fool
James Hadley and I are currently playing this as a double and we’d appreciate some teammates (especially if you know science/rmpss). Message me if you’re interested in getting whallopped alongside us!

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am
by kearnm7
Since we currently have 10 teams signed up (leaving us with a single round-robin format), we are closing the field. Other teams will only be added if we can ensure that the field reaches an even number.

Make sure, however, to register as teams or as free agents for ACRONYM, which we've reduced in price to $10 per player. Please also circulate the sign-up spreadsheet to members of your club who are not on the forums.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 am
by Cody
kearnm7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am
Since we currently have 10 teams signed up (leaving us with a single round-robin format), we are closing the field. Other teams will only be added if we can ensure that the field reaches an even number.

Make sure, however, to register as teams or as free agents for ACRONYM, which we've reduced in price to $10 per player. Please also circulate the sign-up spreadsheet to members of your club who are not on the forums.
It doesn't seem like 10 teams would work with just a single round-robin format because teams would only get 9 games, thus necessitating some sort of playoff that requires at least another 3 rounds (for 12 rounds + a reseeding break).

On the other hand, both 11 and 12 teams can be done in a single round-robin format offering 10 games in 11 rounds with 5 rooms (for 11 teams) or 11 games in 11 rounds with 6 rooms (12 teams). Those numbers make for a much better field size if you can get to them.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 am
by kearnm7
Cody wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 am
kearnm7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am
Since we currently have 10 teams signed up (leaving us with a single round-robin format), we are closing the field. Other teams will only be added if we can ensure that the field reaches an even number.

Make sure, however, to register as teams or as free agents for ACRONYM, which we've reduced in price to $10 per player. Please also circulate the sign-up spreadsheet to members of your club who are not on the forums.
It doesn't seem like 10 teams would work with just a single round-robin format because teams would only get 9 games, thus necessitating some sort of playoff that requires at least another 3 rounds (for 12 rounds + a reseeding break).

On the other hand, both 11 and 12 teams can be done in a single round-robin format offering 10 games in 11 rounds with 5 rooms (for 11 teams) or 11 games in 11 rounds with 6 rooms (12 teams). Those numbers make for a much better field size if you can get to them.
I take your point and am hereby reopening the field - thanks! To me, a 9-round round robin would ensure that we get all teams out on time (important for tournaments with questions of such length), while 11 would offer teams an extra game but at the temporal cost of two more rounds. That said, I do understand the slippery slope that develops when one begins to offer fewer than 10 games.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:50 pm
by Pablo Picasso 2
The Billiards Fool wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm
James Hadley and I are currently playing this as a double and we’d appreciate some teammates (especially if you know science/rmpss). Message me if you’re interested in getting whallopped alongside us!
emmett emmett lama sabachthani

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am
by kearnm7
Stats are (reasonably) live here.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 pm
by kearnm7
Final stats are available here. Thank you to all the teams for coming—Rutgers cleared the field with an 8-2 record to win the tournament.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
by ryanrosenberg
Do stats exist for ACRONYM? Excited to see my team's 9/2/6 game immortalized on the DB.

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 pm
by Santa Claus
ryanrosenberg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Do stats exist for ACRONYM? Excited to see my team's 9/2/6 game immortalized on the DB.
Excited to see my negative ppg

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ Yale (3/30/19)

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 pm
by kearnm7
Santa Claus wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 pm
ryanrosenberg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Do stats exist for ACRONYM? Excited to see my team's 9/2/6 game immortalized on the DB.
Excited to see my negative ppg
See here for stats. Sorry for the delay!