PIANO Online Discord Mirror (3/10/19)

Old college threads.
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

PIANO Online Discord Mirror (3/10/19)

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

I am please to (finally) announce an online mirror of PIANO (main announcement thread: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21685) to take place on discord on Sunday, 3/10/19. The precise schedule and soft field caps are still being determined, and this post will change to reflect such determinations. This is, as with all other PIANO mirrors, an open tournament that anybody is eligible to play, though, needless to say, paying this mirror will forfeit eligibility to play in any later in-person mirror.

Payment:
The cost to play will be a flat fee of $80 per team. Our preferred method of payment would be via Venmo (to Jacob Reed/@vinteuil or to me/@Jason-Golfinos, though anything sent to me will be immediately passed along to Jacob so you might as well skip the middleman on this), with payments clearly marked as for "PIANO Online." If Venmo is not feasible, email me and something can be worked out.

Registration and Team Formation:
Teams officially register by having a representative email me at [email protected] with the subject line "PIANO Online Mirror Registration." Also feel free to email me with any questions at that address.

Team Formation Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This tournament currently has a very soft field cap of 6 teams, with expansion to 8 more or less guaranteed in the event of sufficient interest. Expansion beyond that point becomes less likely.
Last edited by Majin Buu Roi on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Re: PIANO Online Discord Mirror (3/10/19)

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

The above post now comes with an exciting new feature called "a functioning link to the team formation spreadsheet."
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Michael Coates and I are looking for two teammates for this. Feel free to PM or email me if you would like to team up!

EDIT: Kurtis and Neil have joined us.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Owing to the fact that a sixth team has just registered, I am closing the field except in the event that two further teams sign up at once. There are, however, a handful of free agent spots still open.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

I hate to say this on such short notice, but something has come up such that I am looking for someone willing to staff this in my place - please let me know if you'd be willing and able!
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

The team formation spreadsheet now contains a link to the discord server. Also, Derek So has graciously agreed to help out for parts of the day, as have Katherine Lei and Shubham Sengar, so we should be alright now moderator-wise.

There are also two spots still open for any free agents, but otherwise the field is now definitively closed at 6 teams.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Thank you so much to everybody who played yesterday. I hope you enjoyed yourself and felt you got your money's worth, especially given the relatively loose scheduling that developed and that only 9 packets were played. Both of those things were purely a result of my comical underestimation of how long an average round would take.

A huge thanks as well to my fellow mods, but especially to Shubham Sengar and Katherine Lei, for volunteering at the last second. The tournament would not have happened at all without your help.

Team 4 (Michael Coates, Daniel Hothem, Neil Vinjamuri, and Kurtis Droge) sort of cleared the field with a 7-1 record on a technicality related to the exceedingly impressive Berus-Lie Bleen squad (Hari Parameswaran, Mazin Omer, Anishka Bandara, and Arjun Nageswaran) electing to play one fewer round of normal play after achieving a 5-2 record.

Stats, including an additional scrimmage round, will be posted in the normal place.

Thank you again to everybody who participated in any way yesterday. Email me at [email protected] if you would like a copy of the set. Needless to say, if you did not play or staff this past weekend, I will simply ignore such a request.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22