California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl (8/10-11)

Old college threads.
rylltraka
Tidus

California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl (8/10-11)

Post by rylltraka »

Hey all,

(see below for updated event information)

Note: our flagship event on Saturday will be, disasters notwithstanding, the Cambridge Open.
Note: our flagship event on Sunday will be the Super Acronym 2 trash tournament.
Note: The Side Events will be CANONEXPANSION, Imaginary Landscape, The Unanswered Question, Scattergories

What I would like to know, from any interested parties (i.e., respond in this thread with this information):
- Would you attend? (I need to know how many rooms to rent, and they aren't exactly cheap - you may also use this form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0)
- When (what weekend) would you prefer the event to be held?
- Should the event be all weekend?
- Could you bring buzzers? (I have 0)
- Which events would you like to have happen? There have been many announced on the boards, and I might get around to making a list in this thread if I have time.

The prices are:
$10 per player for CamO
$0 for any and all side events
$10 per player for Super Acronym

I have reached that level in life where I live in a house instead of in a room, so I can offer substandard housing (couches, even) the night before, to probably 3-4 people who would need it.
Last edited by rylltraka on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl at Cal State, Long Beach (Date TBD)

Post by rylltraka »

Here's the list of potential events on the docket, stolen without shame from a Mike Cheyne post:

Full Tournaments
*Cambridge Open
*NASAT (obviously going to be run as own tournament)
*Super Acronym II (trash)

Side Events Confirmed for Mirrors Already
*Age of Empires (classical/ancient history and stuff, probably at CO)
*CANONEXPANSION (science, HSNCT)
*Fight the Power 2 (hip-hop, probably at HSNCT)
*GOLBEZ (video games, already ran at ICT and will run at HSNCT)
*Imaginary Landscape (audio music, HSNCT)
*Let's Remember Some Guys (sports, I think HSNCT)
*META (basically quizbowl minus science, at least HSNCT)
*RULFO (lit/arts, NSC)
*Scattergories (Will Nediger delights, probably at CO)
*STAR BOWL (sci fi, probably at NSC)

Other Side Events (I do not think these have mirrors set up, but let me know if they do.)
*Look at this Photograph (visual trash)
*Mixtape (popular music)
*The Unanswered Question (20th century fine arts)
*TUPAC (trash music listening)

Events That I Don't Know the Status Of
*STIGMATA (visual film)

Proposed but Delayed Events
*For the U.S.A. and All the Southern Countries (Cheyne film, postponed)
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I'd be interested in attending, assuming the date and time works out. NASAT and Acronym sound cool.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

If we can have this in late July on a date I can attend, I am happy to have Age of Empires ready by then, since I take it most people at this site won't be attending CO.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

You've fallen into the pitfall of view only on the spreadsheet!

Putting it out there, I have a reasonably sized apartment that has a sectional couch that can fit 2 and a pair of full size air mattresses, plus enough floor space for comfortably around 4 more people. I'm willing to drive people, pick them up from LAX Friday night and introduce you to amazing street tacos in North Hollywood (but my car only fits 5).

I'm most interested in playing Super ACRONYM and maybe NASAT, and will staff other events, as long as this isn't the weekend of CO (when I'll be in Chicago for unrelated reasons).
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

The document should now be edit-able.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

I'd be willing to drive 7 hours from the Bay Area to attend this, should the timing work. If others in NorCal are interested, let me know and we could possibly coordinate on transport and timing.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm potentially interested in this, but less so if it mirrors sets I'd already be playing (ones at CO) or writing (NASAT).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

nadph wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm I'd be willing to drive 7 hours from the Bay Area to attend this, should the timing work. If others in NorCal are interested, let me know and we could possibly coordinate on transport and timing.
Indeed.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Flights to Long Beach Airport are also pretty cheap and come from all Bay Area airports. It seems like a pretty easy pickup from the campus.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

is this event in place of the usual norcal weekend of quiz bowl or is it a separate thing
Justine French
she/her
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I have not been in coordination with the powers that be in Norcal, and have heard no word as to whether they are planning a summer quizbowl event; I did post on their Facebook group about this tournament, and would welcome any input from them. What seems most logical to do is to run NASAT, as it's usually a crowd-pleaser, but if they want to claim it as their prerogative, we can talk about that.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

rylltraka wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm I have not been in coordination with the powers that be in Norcal, and have heard no word as to whether they are planning a summer quizbowl event; I did post on their Facebook group about this tournament, and would welcome any input from them. What seems most logical to do is to run NASAT, as it's usually a crowd-pleaser, but if they want to claim it as their prerogative, we can talk about that.
As Jonchee mentioned in the other thread, either Berkeley or Stanford (likely the latter) was planning on hosting an event, likely sometime in July. We were also planning on mirroring NASAT, but if it seems that it wouldn't be sustainable to have both events, we could figure out something else. That said, I don't feel like this will be the case, and I'm sure there are many others in my situation (either in Northern or Southern California and not willing to travel 6+ hours to attend an event for the weekend), and it'd be a shame if these people couldn't get the opportunity to play the set. However, I think it may be beneficial to coordinate side events, as the audiences for those are usually more restricted, so possibly running the same event at both locations will be ill-advised.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

rahulkeyal wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm As Jonchee mentioned in the other thread, either Berkeley or Stanford (likely the latter) was planning on hosting an event, likely sometime in July. We were also planning on mirroring NASAT, but if it seems that it wouldn't be sustainable to have both events, we could figure out something else. That said, I don't feel like this will be the case, and I'm sure there are many others in my situation (either in Northern or Southern California and not willing to travel 6+ hours to attend an event for the weekend), and it'd be a shame if these people couldn't get the opportunity to play the set. However, I think it may be beneficial to coordinate side events, as the audiences for those are usually more restricted, so possibly running the same event at both locations will be ill-advised.
Apologies, I wrote impulsively and without checking if there was a Norcal mirror of some of these events. I'd probably prefer attending a NorCal event for the convenience, but I'd still be interested if there are some events held on this weekend that have no NorCal mirror.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

I've posted a form to gauge interest / collect preferences for a Northern California Weekend of Quizbowl. We want it to be worthwhile for players to attend both events if they so desire, so please do fill out the form if you're considering attending.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

It might be better to run two separate "main event" tournaments across the two Cali sites. Oxford Open got good reviews this year, so I'd be good with playing that tournament, though CamO would also work.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl at Cal State, Long Beach (8/10)

Post by rylltraka »

As an update, I have decided upon the date of August 10 by more or less popular demand, and to not clash with the parallel Norcal tournament. If there are unforeseen reasons why this is an unwise decision, please let me know.

Our main event will be, permission willing, the Cambridge Open tournament on Saturday, with a further schedule pending decisions to be made later.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

So, one would fly in to Los Angeles to get there, right?
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

It would depend on where you're staying. LGB and LAX are both reasonable, and even SNA or BUR could potentially make sense, but LGB or LAX are definitely your best options.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Ian is correct - the kicker is that the Long Beach airport is rather small, and that LAX is close enough to Long Beach that it's not a hideous slog to cover that distance by car. I wouldn't put much effort into going direct to the Long Beach airport unless a good deal suggests itself.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

As a result of successful and very brief negotiations, Super ACRONYM 2 will be our Sunday main event.

While it is not yet set or negotiated, the plan for the side events will probably be CANONEXPANSION for one, and some of the visual/auditory events for another. For personal reasons, I would also like to run Age of Empires, but we shall see.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Updated Schedule:

Saturday: CamO
Sunday: Super Acronym

Side Events: CANONEXPANSION, Imaginary Landscape, The Unanswered Question, Scattergories
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I also have Eyes That Do Not See X (visual art), if that strikes anyone's fancy.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Hello -

Because the CSULB administration with whom I have been in contact for months have been unable to let me know when the room confirmations will arrive despite our three months of conversation, I have decided to change the venue. I apologize in advance for any trouble this might cause.

The new venue will be my house, whose location has been sent via email to everyone who has signed up via the spreadsheet. Please contact me if you need that information (my number is 310dash866dash1057) or any other. It is not in Long Beach, unfortunately for some, but in central-west LA. An advantage of this is that the cost of the tournament will be reduced to simply the mirror fees, with which I will update the main announcement shortly.

The plan is to try and start the tournament as soon to 9 as possible with CamO until we grow tired of it, then bust into two groups to play side events in separate rooms. Events will be decided by popular interest. Same applies to Sunday, with Super Acronym.

We still need two buzzers or some magical digital solution to that issue.

Once again, my apologies for the alterations to this event, which I would have preferred to have in LB.

Best,
Mik Larsen
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl (8/10-11)

Post by rylltraka »

Day 1 (CamO) went off fairly hitch-lessly, and the statistics are available at https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5866/stats/stats/.

In addition, we ran shootouts of CANONEXPANSION and Age of Empires. The numbers for CANONEXPANSION might surface at some point, the ones for Age of Empires follow.

Over nine rounds:
Nikhil - 245 (6/48/9)
Steve - 15 (1/0/0)
Charles - 300 (8/28/20)
Mik - 920 (27/56/29)
Willy - 10 (1/4/9)
Kirk - -25 (1/1/10)
Jason - 115 (2/14/11)
Kevin - 40 (0/5/2) (One round)
Boyang - 165 (9/4/2) (One round)
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: California Summer Weekend o' Quizbowl (8/10-11)

Post by rylltraka »

Results from Day 2 (mostly):
Some rounds of CANONEXPANSION were played Saturday night, but since the stats were taken in what seems to be some kind of estrangela miniscule, all I have are the following rough calculations:

Ian - 45
Wolfram - 460
Sam - 620

We played five rounds of Eyes 10:
Ian - 10
Charles - 40
Mik - 80
Steve Kaplan - 15
Jason - 140

We played a 12-round Super Acronym shootout:
Ian 50 (4 rounds) (2/3/0)
Kevin W 50 (4 rounds) (2/7/10)