Oxford Open Mirror and Side Event Weekend at University of South Carolina (Aug 17-18)

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Oxford Open Mirror and Side Event Weekend at University of South Carolina (Aug 17-18)

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of the Oxford Open on August 17th and a general side event weekend from 8/17 to 8/18. I will be the tournament(s) director. Further details are below. Please e-mail me at [email protected] to register or if you have any questions.

For the main event, we will be using the Oxford Open set, which is described here.

How to Register:

E-mail me at [email protected] with the following information:

1. You and your teammates. If you don't know your teammates yet, you can still register and we'll figure it out later.
2. How many buzzer systems you can bring.
3. How many staffers you plan to bring.

Since this is an open tournament, I have created a team formation spreadsheet here. Although I will check the spreadsheet periodically, please remember to email me for registration purposes.

The tournament will be held at the University of South Carolina. Try to meet around 8:30 on both days and we'll begin as soon as everyone arrives.

Parking-wise, there are a large number of metered parking spaces within an easy walking distance from the building. They are plentiful and not checked on Saturday.

Food:

There are a number of eateries near the school.

Anyone staffing the tournament can eat pizza with the rest of the staff or receive a lunch voucher.

Eligibility:

This is an open tournament, so anyone is welcome to play with whoever. Since this is an open tournament, I have created a team formation spreadsheet here. Although I will check the spreadsheet periodically, please remember to email me for registration purposes.

Awards:

The first and second place teams will win prizes. The top 5 scorers will win prizes.

Seth Kendall et. al.
Jonathen Settle et. al.
Matt Weiner
USC House Team (depending on logistical desirability)
UNC (2 teams)
UCF A
UCF B

Side Events:

We will be having side events following the main event on the 17th, and more side events on the next day.
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Auron

Re: Oxford Open Mirror at University of South Carolina (8/17/19)

We will be running Mixtape: A Guerilla Popular Music Event for Charity as a side event. $15 to play, unless you submitted a packet, then it's free. Details on the tournament here.

As noted above, I am open to having other side events and other non-main event festivities as well. I will keep registrants updated on any developments on that. I am open to any side event suggestions.
Eric D.
Auron

Re: Oxford Open Mirror and Side Event Weekend at University of South Carolina (8/17/19)

After hearing some interest, we have decided to make this a side event weekend. The Oxford Open will take place on Saturday as originally announced, with all original times, fees, locations, etc. applying.

There will then be side events following the Open on Saturday and Sunday. A full schedule of side events will be posted, and anyone who has suggestions or preferences for side events can feel free to let me know. Thanks, and please register!
Eric D.
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Re: Oxford Open Mirror and Side Event Weekend at University of South Carolina (Aug 17-18)

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Hey Eric,

We are getting a bunch of UCF and former UCF people finalized for teams. Would you be opposed to having Super ACRONYM on Sunday, or is everything already planned out?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Auron

Re: Oxford Open Mirror and Side Event Weekend at University of South Carolina (Aug 17-18)

I'm open to the idea of running a Super Acronym mirror. The main issue is staffing and interest. We look to be well staffed for Oxford Open and the other side events, but a full-scale trash tournament on Sunday might be harder to pull. I'll check with everyone and keep you posted. Meanwhile, definitely let me know ASAP how many teams UCF plans to send. Thanks.
Eric D.
Auron

Congratulations to Matt Weiner for winning the Oxford Open mirror at the University of South Carolina. UNC A finished 2nd after forcing a deciding championship game in an advantaged final. The team of Tracy Mirkin and Jonathen Settle finished 3rd followed by UCF/Billy Beyer.

In side events:

Matt Weiner won ACRONYM

The teams of Tracy Mirkin/Shawn Jarrard and Seth Kendall/Bryn Douglass agreed to split the MUSES championship after Matt Weiner had to leave following a 3 game round robin.

Matt Weiner won the Mixtape shootout.
Seth Kendall won the Age of Empires shootout.
Seth Kendall won the Star Bowl shootout.

Thanks to everyone for coming. It was an honor hosting so many great teams and players. Special thanks to Bryn Douglass, without whom there would have been no event. Thanks also to Seth Kendall for providing free soda to the entire field and to Bryn, Ellie Lord, Patrick Cleary, Sara Nix, Preston Floyd, and Ajay Patel for staffing the main event. Thanks to the others who staffed throughout the weekend. And thanks to the writers and editors of all of the tournaments; what an amazing variety of questions we heard. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and I look forward to hosting more tournaments in the future.

Stats
Eric D.
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

So, to repeat publicly what I’ve already said privately:

I will make bold to speak for all of us who attended and say that you and Bryn did an excellent job running these events. Thank you for a great weekend; I look forward to seeing you again soon, and - dare I hope? – playing this next year.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008