Michigan Winter @ Rutgers University (2/15/2020)

Old college threads.
jameshadleyg
Lulu

Michigan Winter @ Rutgers University (2/15/2020)

Post by jameshadleyg »

Hello all! I’d like to announce that Rutgers University (New Brunswick) will be hosting a mirror of Michigan Housewrite on February 15, 2020.

The tournament will most likely take place at Scott Hall, 43 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901. A searchable map of the campus can be found at this link. Parking is available in a deck on Wall Street, though it is cheapest parking option is to purchase a parking pass. An instructional video is located here.

If you need any help with travel to Rutgers, parking, or housing, please email [email protected].

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$15 per competent staffer
Travel Discount : -$15 per 200 miles traveled (as determined by distance between schools on Google maps)
New Team Discount: -$20 for any team that played fewer than two tournaments last year.

Payment can be made in cash or via a check addressed to “Rutgers University Academic Team.” We expect payment the day of. If that is not possible please let us know as soon as you become aware of an issue. Any team that needs an invoice in advance should email me as soon as they would like one.

To register please fill out the form here. Just fill it out once per school.

Field Size
We are setting the field cap at 16 teams for now. We will look into expanding if necessary as we get a better idea of own staffing/buzzer numbers (including outside staffers).

Eligibility
This is a closed collegiate tournament. High School teams may play but only with their fellow schoolmates and not as a chimera team.

Food
There are plenty of lunch options in the vicinity of Scott Hall. We will provide a more detailed guide to the RU area in the logistics emails.

Please direct all questions to [email protected].

We hope to see you on February 15th!
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University '22
University of Western Ontario [2022-Present]
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Michigan Winter @ Rutgers University (2/15/2020)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'm a bit concerned about the timing of this tournament - to my understanding, SCT is February 8th and UMD is tentatively planning to mirror Terrapin Open on February 22nd. I'd love to play this tournament in person, but three weekends of quizbowl in a row is a pretty big ask during the school year. Would it be possible to maybe mirror this at a later date?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Although the 15th is fine for us, if the date is moved, we would very strongly prefer that it be moved to a later date, and not early January before Regionals.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

As long as small fractions of the interested parties in this tournament are making requests for when it should happen, February 15 is fine for me but if it were changed I would prefer it get moved earlier into January than later.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea »

Agreed, Swarthmore will not be able to play if this is moved before Regionals and would love to attend.
Rebecca Rosenthal, Bergen County Academies '16, Swarthmore College '20
PACE, Director of Communications
she/her/hers
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Thaumatibis gigantea wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 am Agreed, Swarthmore will not be able to play if this is moved before Regionals and would love to attend.
I should have just clarified that by "strongly prefer" I really mean to say what Rebecca is saying. We also can't come if it's before Regionals because of our final exam & study period schedule.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Bowdoin might drive down for this if it is scheduled later in February, though the 15th is not the worst weekend for us.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
jameshadleyg
Lulu

Post by jameshadleyg »

Based on the general response, Michigan Winter at Rutgers will remain on February 15th, since that seems to be the date most people are available to attend.
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University '22
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Could a field update be provided? Thanks.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
jameshadleyg
Lulu

Post by jameshadleyg »

Here's the final field with which the tournament ran:

School (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Columbia (1/0/0)
Cornell (1/0/0)
Delaware (1/2/0)
Maryland (1/0/0)
Millersville (1/2/0)
NYU (2/1/0)
Penn (2/0/0)
Princeton (1/1/0)
Rutgers (1/1/~)
SHU (1/0/0)

Total: 12/7/0
Last edited by jameshadleyg on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University '22
sbraunfeld
Lulu

Post by sbraunfeld »

The complexities of international payments have been worked out, so I'd like to hold a mirror of SCREEN TEST, a visual film side event, after this tournament. The mirror fee is $13. If you or your teammates are interested, please send me an email.
Sam Braunfeld
Berkeley '13
Rutgers '18
jameshadleyg
Lulu

Post by jameshadleyg »

Congrats to Columbia for winning a one-game final against Delaware!

I'm very much indebted to both the staffers and teams that patiently made this tournament possible despite the delayed logistics and some last minute changes in scheduling. I'd also like to give special thanks to Emmett Laurie, who despite not being present the day of helped guide me through the process, and also David Song, Brian Lu, and Collin Ace, who provided advice and support during preparations and through the day. I hope everybody was able to enjoy the set and have a good experience. If you have any feedback on the set, please feel free to join the Michigan Winter discussion forum and let us know. If you have any feedback on how the tournament was run/suggestions for what you'd like to see happening at future Rutgers tournaments, don't hesitate to reach out to me and let me know.

Once again, thanks to all the teams for coming and to all those who helped staff this tournament.

Stats for all twelve games (round robin + final) can be found at https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... 2B_finals/.
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University '22
sbraunfeld
Lulu

Post by sbraunfeld »

sbraunfeld wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 pm The complexities of international payments have been worked out, so I'd like to hold a mirror of SCREEN TEST, a visual film side event, after this tournament. The mirror fee is $13. If you or your teammates are interested, please send me an email.
We got through 4 rounds of SCREEN TEST before people had to leave. Without bonuses, Harrison Whitaker got 305, Jack Mehr got 140, and everyone else got significantly less.
Sam Braunfeld
Berkeley '13
Rutgers '18
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

A bit belated, but this tournament was excellently run and extremely fun to attend - thank you so much for hosting! The very smooth rounds + timing made this tournament much less exhausting than I'd have anticipated, especially for a longer than standard set.