2020 NAQT SCT: February 8

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2020 NAQT SCT: February 8

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce that our 2020 Sectional Championship Tournaments will take place the weekend of Saturday, February 8.

The 2020 host requirements are available here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Important Bird Area

Re: 2020 NAQT SCT: February 8

This post will list sites confirmed to host NAQT SCT in February 2020. All tournaments will take place Saturday, February 8 unless otherwise stated.

Toronto
MIT
Cornell
Penn
North Carolina State
Auburn
Central Florida
Michigan
Purdue
Minnesota
Missouri
Texas
Colorado
UCLA
Berkeley
Washington

Last updated 1/21 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Important Bird Area

Registration is now open for the 2020 SCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

person361
Lulu

Re: 2020 NAQT SCT: February 8 - registration open

Post by person361 »

After last year's SCTs, Seth said that NAQT was reassessing the following placement policy:
Important Bird Area wrote:If the prelims are a split-field round-robin followed by bracketed playoffs that do not repeat any opponents from the preliminary pools (formats marked "SFRR" for 15 through 24 teams on the approved SCT format list), then teams are ranked within each playoff bracket by overall record.
Are there any updates on this?
Eric Lu
Montgomery Blair HS '16
MIT '20

Important Bird Area

person361 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:44 am
After last year's SCTs, Seth said that NAQT was reassessing the following placement policy:
Important Bird Area wrote:If the prelims are a split-field round-robin followed by bracketed playoffs that do not repeat any opponents from the preliminary pools (formats marked "SFRR" for 15 through 24 teams on the approved SCT format list), then teams are ranked within each playoff bracket by overall record.
Are there any updates on this?
I'll start a new thread for this.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

CaseyB
Lulu

Post by CaseyB »

It seems to me that there is still a big gap geographically in the Mid-Atlantic by not having a site in either Virginia or North Carolina. Do you plan on adding another site to fill this gap?
Casey Bindas
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
UCF 2011-15
VCU 2015-16
Michigan Tech 2016-18
PACE

Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

CaseyB wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:50 pm
It seems to me that there is still a big gap geographically in the Mid-Atlantic by not having a site in either Virginia or North Carolina. Do you plan on adding another site to fill this gap?
I guess the answer is no? Last year's SCTs locations were Virginia Tech and Rutgers. Both of those appear to have been combined into one site in Philadelphia.

Last year's Mid-Atlantic SCT at Virginia Tech had 21 teams from 14 schools. Only 3 (Virginia.VCU, ETSU) of those schools are bringing teams to this year's "Mid-Atlantic" SCT in Philadelphia.

It took us nearly 8 hours (4pm to midnight) to get to Philadelphia for Penn Bowl. For every school to the south of us, Penn is not a reasonable tournament location. Multiple teams from 11+ schools are effectively locked out of playing SCT this year because there is no reasonable site in the Mid-Atlantic.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia

Important Bird Area

We would welcome an additional SCT site in the lower Mid-Atlantic. I've reached out to a number of potential hosts in that region; if your team is interested in hosting, please contact us ([email protected]) as soon as possible.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

I'm pleased to report that we have added a Lower Mid-Atlantic site at North Carolina State.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: 2020 NAQT SCT: February 8 - registration closes Saturday!

Quick reminder that registration for many of our SCT sites closes on Saturday, February 1st. Teams that have not yet registered for SCT are encouraged to do so in the very near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

NAQT has corrected a minor anomaly in the published D-value procedure related to averaging of D-values and team order-of-finish. We noticed this issue while tabulating results for the 2020 Community College Sectional Championship Tournaments.

Under the previously-posted D-value formula, it was possible for team X to finish behind teams A-N at a given SCT site, with a worse D-value than team N; for teams A-N to have their D-values averaged because N has a higher D-value than A; and for the averaged D-values for teams A-N to wind up being lower than the (untouched) D-value of team X. If this scenario arises, our solution will be to pool team X with teams A-N, and assign every team in that pool the average of their initial D-values. This will give teams A-N + X the same D-value, and invitations will be handed out according to the order of finish. This procedure will repeat until there are no disagreements between the order of finish and the order of D-values.

The corrected version will be used to issue invitations for the 2020 ICT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

I've set up a private forum for discussion of this year's SCT questions. Please select "2020 SCT discussion" from your user control panel to request access.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Complete stats for all 2020 SCT sites are now available here. We have also posted preliminary D-values for the 2020 ICT (Division I, Division II).

Please let us know if there are any corrections that need to be made to these stats; we expect to issue initial invitations to the 2020 ICT on Monday. (edit: this will be a bit later on in the week; we're double-checking some details about which rooms are available at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare on ICT weekend)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF