Michigan Winter @ UCSD (February 1, 2020)

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Michigan Winter @ UCSD (February 1, 2020)

Post by Ciorwrong »

The UCSD quizbowl team is pleased to announce a mirror of Michigan Winter Tournament (MWT) on February 1, 2020. I will be directing this mirror.

Details are available here and me and the other writers are confident this is a set teams from across the skill distribution should feel comfortable playing. In short, this is an event that all active teams in Southern California should make an honest effort to attend and I’d very much like for this to happen given that our mirror of EFT was canceled.

Eligibility:
Highschools and collegiate teams are eligible for this event and must play on closed (i.e. all players from one school) teams.

Pricing:
-New schools (schools that did not play a tournament in the 2018-2019 season) will pay a flat fee of $40 per team. Returning schools will pay a base fee of $115 per team.
-Buzzer Discount (buzzer must be functional: I will revoke this discount if it is broken.) -$10
-Staffer Discount (must have laptop for stats and be accepted as a staffer by me)
-Travel Discount -$5 per 50 miles traveled (up to -$20 dollars in total)
-Early Bird Discount: -$10 register by December 15

Payment: check or Venmo is acceptable. Venmo is preferred. Details will be released closer to the date of the tournament.

Teams of more than six players will not be accepted for either new or returning teams.

To register, please email [email protected] and also CC me [email protected] . At the moment, I am imposing a field cap of 8 teams but I would be thrilled to expand if there is interest.

This post will be updated with logistics, parking, etc. as we approach the event. Please post or email if you have any further questions. I hope to see teams from across Southern California and maybe in other states(!) in La Jolla in February.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Michigan Winter @ UCSD (February 1, 2020)

Post by Ciorwrong »

This post is reserved for field updates.

Team(s)/Buzzers/Staffers
UCSD/ >=1 /many
ASU/1/0
Westview HS/2/0
Brophy College Prep 1/0/0
UCLA 1/0/0
Del Norte HS 1/?/?

EDIT: last updated January 22
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

We currently have 5 non-house teams registered for this event. Ideally, we if we could wrangle up some more local teams, that would be awesome. Please let me know if you if you'd like to play this event ASAP. I'm hoping for either an 8 or 6 team mirror to make the numbers as seamless as possible. This event should be a great way for teams of all skill levels to precipitate, so I am looking forward to seeing teams from the region come out to La Jolla.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

An initial logistics email for this tournament was just sent out. Let me know if you are still interested in attending or did not receive the email ASAP.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Final logistical details have been sent out. Neg5 stats will be available here. Schedule and rules are on this link.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired