2020 Chicago Open (July 18th)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

What date(s) would you be able to attend Chicago Open?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:35 pm

July 18
32%
July 25
28%
August 1
19%
August 8
21%

Total votes: 119

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

2020 Chicago Open (July 18th)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I am honored to announce the 2020 edition of Chicago Open, which will take place this summer at Northwestern University on July 18th, 2020.

TOURNAMENT PRODUCTION TEAM

I will be serving as head editor of this tournament. Ike Jose will be providing oversight. Subject editing will be handled by myself (various things), Ike (philosophy and vis art), Jason Cheng (some lit), Jonathen Settle (some science), Ryan Humphrey (some science), and Brad McLain (beliefs). Jacob O'Rourke will be handling logistics and Rama Rangaraju will be assisting with miscellaneous production duties.

People interested in freelancing questions (for pay) and/or playtesting should DM or email me.

PACKET SUBMISSION AND FEES

As in the past, all open teams playing Chicago Open will be required to submit a full packet of questions to play. As with last year, the base tournament fee for all teams will be $250. Quality discounts of up to $100 will be available and will be determined using a set of metrics defined by the editing team.

Please put your team name and members here! Note that no team is officially registered until they submit a packet. All packets should be emailed to the tournament account: chicago.open.2020 (at) gmail (dot) com

This is the submission schedule. Deadline for each date is a hard deadline of 11:59PM PST:
  • Sunday May 3rd: -$50
  • Sunday May 17th: -$25
  • Sunday May 31st: No penalty
  • Sunday June 13th: +$25
  • Sunday June 27th: +$50
  • Every day after the last deadline: +$69
Please contact the tournament email if you have any particular questions or concerns. In the event that we require scab teams to fill the field, their fees will be negotiated directly with the editors.

Packets should be submitted according to the (24/20) distribution outlined below:

Literature (5/4)
  • 1/1 Long Fiction (novels)
  • 1/1 Poetry (you can place epic poetry here if you emphasize its diction and words, as opposed to narrative)
  • 1 Drama
  • 1 Short Stories
  • 1 Nonfiction (essays, criticism, autobiographies, memoirs, etc. go here)
  • 2 Misc / any / more of the above
History (5/4)
  • 1/1 US History
  • 1/1 Post-500 CE European History (including Britain and Ireland)
  • 1/1 Post-500 CE "World History" (non-US, non-Europe, excluding Canada, Australia, New Zealand)
  • 1 Canada, Australia, NZ, or "International" History (i.e. international organizations, colonialism/imperialism, trade - be creative!)
  • 1 Pre-500 CE History (anywhere in the world)
  • 1 Historiography or Archaeology
Science (5/4)
  • 1/1 Biology
  • 1/1 Physics
  • 1/1 Chemistry (no more than 1 orgo)
  • 1 Data science, applied math, or engineering
  • 1 Astronomy or earth science
  • 1 Pure math or computer science
Arts (3/3)
  • 1/1 Classical + Opera (Either two classical music or one classical music and one opera; non-western "classical" traditions go here)
  • 1/1 Painting + Sculpture (Either two painting or one painting and one sculpture)
  • 1/1 Other Arts (Anything not covered above. Do not write two of the same sort of other arts)
Beliefs (2/1) or (1/2)
  • 1 Non-Abrahamic Legends (traditional quizbowl "mythology" focused on stories - don't write a purely worship-focused tossup here)
  • 1 Theology and Practice (scripture goes here, unless it's narrative-oriented)
  • 1 Other or Misc (questions focused on Biblical or Qur'anic narratives go here, as well as mixed questions)
"Thought" (2/2)
  • 1/1 Philosophy + “Soft Thought” (ala Nats 2018) - Focus on more theoretical topics here
  • 1/1 “Hard” Social Science (ala Nats 2018) - Focus on empirical social science here
Other (2/1) or (1/2)
  • 1 Geography (including human geography)
  • 1 Modern World (interesting current events and/or topics that are important to the current state of human affairs)
  • 1 Other Academic (either interesting mixed academic or topics that don't fit in well above)
Final packets will be 20/20 powermarked packets condensed out of the above, with 4/4 of each of the Big Three overall and 0.66/0.66 chemistry and 0.33/0.33 data science and engineering specifically, 1 question each on Geo, Modern World, and Other Academic, and tiebreaker questions in each packet.

CREDIT

All questions in each packet should be tagged with the first and last name of their writer! I would personally like to give credit to individual writers for cool submissions after the tournament is over. There may be an effort to credit the names of submitting writers in-packet, since I want to people to get props for their cool ideas from future generations.

SET PHILOSOPHY

This set will aim to roughly replicate the difficulty of the 2014, 2015, and 2019 editions of Chicago Open, with an added emphasis on controlling tossup length and bonus difficulty fluctuation, which will ideally bring down the difficulty slightly lower. Last year's edition of Chicago Open decisively confirmed my belief that you don't need to sacrifice accessibility, especially to the large 20+ team audience of modern editions of CO, in order to give the "real CO experience" of intense competition on very hard, intellectually stimulating questions.

What does this mean for packet submitters? Well, PLEASE DON'T SUBMIT ON ANY ANSWER YOU THINK WOULD BE OUT OF PLACE AT ACF NATIONALS. This doesn't mean there will be no tossups on hard answers - you should send some of those in for sure! We guarantee, there will be plenty of those. Tossups on novel answerlines, many of which are challenging, are what we all come to CO for. But inevitably, everyone's going to have some ideas that they think are very reasonable than everyone else things are pretty tough, or things they think are tough that are actually mega hard! I would STRONGLY, strongly encourage you to submit one, two, or even three tossups per major category on ACF Regionals or easier answers. A thoroughly researched, interesting tossup on a common answer is often just as exciting as one on something super out-of-place and it's really nice to have a lot of these as an editor so you know you're not going overboard.

The distribution outlined above is highly specific in order to ensure that a wide range of subject matter is covered. Nonetheless, we're choosing not to experiment too much - a little less religion/myth, a little more Geo/MW/OAc, and some dedicated space for applied math, data science, and engineering questions. We mean to incorporate a lot of the best trends in modern writing and highlight topics that people have enjoyed hearing in many successful recent hard tournaments without sacrificing much.

We look forward to creating an awesome tournament experience for you all!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: 2020 Chicago Open (Please Vote for Date in Poll)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I don't think any of us would personally have a problem making it to the tournament that weekend, but the CO Trash team would prefer to avoid the weekend of August 1, since that conflicts with Trivia Nationals and could thus negatively impact our attendance. Luckily it looks like the July dates are winning anyway!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I've added a team formation spreadsheet with columns for staff and free agents. If you have formed a team please list it ASAP - I would rather existing teams not be shadowy about it.
Will Alston

Mike Bentley
Auron

Post by Mike Bentley »

Don't have a strong date preference but I do have a strong preference for Northwestern over Chicago.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We're narrowing the final date options to the two July dates. If you haven't voted yet, please vote in the poll!
Will Alston

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I voted for all the dates initially since I'm available for them all, but would now like to indicate my preference for the 18th.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 pm
I voted for all the dates initially since I'm available for them all, but would now like to indicate my preference for the 18th.
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF

"Slaves aren't people lmao." - Ike Jose

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do these dates work for Northwestern and/or U Chicago?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Due to winning the vote, July 18th is going to be the date for Chicago Open 2020. As for the location, vote for that in this poll! We'll keep the poll open for 2 weeks-ish, so expect a decision around the 21st.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2020 Chicago Open (July 18th)

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The editing team has decided, based on the poll results so far, that we're going to cut the voting short and announce that CO will take place at Northwestern.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Packet submission deadlines have been added to the original post, as well as a contact email
Will Alston

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Ike Jose is now co-head editing this tournament with me. The vision of the tournament will continue to be the same as outlined in the original post, including difficulty and "feel" of the tournament, and we are greatly looking forward to receiving your submissions!
Will Alston

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Made a few clarifications to the OP, specifically nothing that every packet will have exactly one question (tossup or bonus) on each of Geography, "Modern World," and Other Academic. I very much look forward to continuing the trends of recent tournaments which have had excellent questions in all of these areas.

Also, I should note that July 17th is my birthday, so this tournament carries an extra layer of meaning for me - celebrating my birthday via quizbowl! If you'd like to give me a present, consider doing so by submitting a packet early with lots of creative, well-controlled questions :grin:
Will Alston

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

In light of the recent coronavirus epidemic, we are monitoring the situation and hope to make a definitive determination as to whether the date and/or location of this tournament needs to be moved within the next month. However, we will make all efforts necessary to ensure that Chicago Open is run this summer within the realm of feasibility.

To maintain maximum flexibility, we plan to keep the current submission schedule in place and greatly appreciate your cooperation.
Will Alston