This tournament will be available for hosting March 27-April 18.
If you are interested in hosting, please contact me at [email protected] by December 15. The hosting fee will be $30 per team, and the recommended fee schedule is as follows:
- $80 per team
- $50 for teams new to quizbowl (defined as having not played a tournament in the 2018-19 or 2019-20 seasons)
- -$25 per trained staffer
We will also accept bids for high-school-only mirrors; if you would like to host a mirror for high school teams, please note that in your email.
We are looking for at least one host in the following regions:
- Northeast (NY, CT, VT, NH, RI, MA, ME)
- Mid-Atlantic (NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)
- South (NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, KY, LA, TX)
- Great Lakes (MI, OH, IN)
- Midwest (IL, WI)
- Great Plains and Rockies (MN, IA, MO, OK, TX, CO, UT, MT, ID, AZ)
- West Coast (CA, OR, WA)
This tournament is intended for players with no or very little quizbowl experience. Players with extensive quizbowl experience are encouraged to help staff.
You are not eligible for this tournament if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have ever scored more than 60 points per game at a quizbowl tournament (excluding middle school tournaments).
- You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or NSC.
- You have played ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.
The tournament set will have 10 packets of 24 tossups and 24 three-part bonuses, each worth 10 points each. Tossups will be between 5-6 lines in 10pt Times New Roman font, and bonuses will be length-controlled to ensure a quick-moving tournament experience.
As this tournament is intended for novice quizbowl players, difficulty will be strictly controlled, and questions will be written to assume little prior familiarity with the quizbowl canon. To reference other sets, the target difficulty will be easier than 2020 ACF Fall.
Each packet will have the following distribution of questions (X/Y indicating X tossups and Y bonuses):
- 4/4 Literature
- 1/1 Novels
- 1/1 Poetry
- 1/1 Drama
- 1/1 Short Stories and Miscellaneous
- 4/4 History
- 1/1 American History
- 1/1 European History
- 1/1 World History
- 1/1 Other History (including archaeology, historiography, and more of the above categories)
- 4/4 Science
- 1/1 Biology
- 1/1 Chemistry
- 1/1 Physics
- 1/0 or 0/1 Mathematics
- 1/0 or 0/1 Computer Science, Earth Science, and Astronomy
- 3/3 Arts
- 1/1 Painting and Sculpture
- 1/1 Classical Music
- 1/1 Other Arts (including but not limited to architecture, jazz, opera, dance, fashion, and film)
- 3/3 Beliefs and Legends
- 1/1 Religion
- 1/1 Philosophy
- 1/1 Mythology
- 2/2 Social Science
- 1/0 or 0/1 Anthropology and Sociology
- 1/0 or 0/1 Economics
- 1/0 or 0/1 Psychology
- 1/0 or 0/1 Political Science and International Relations
- 2/2 Popular Culture
- 1/0 or 0/1 Movies and TV
- 1/0 or 0/1 Pop Music
- 1/0 or 0/1 Sports
- 1/0 or 0/1 Other Pop Culture (including comics, musicals, video games, and more of the above)
- 2/2 The World
- 1/1 Geography
- 1/1 Current Events