2021 WORKSHOP Playtest Mirror [6 February 2021]

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
meebles127
Wakka

2021 WORKSHOP Playtest Mirror [6 February 2021]

Post by meebles127 »

I am announcing the playtest online playtest mirror of 2021 WORKSHOP to be held on 6 February 2021 at Discord. More information on the WORKSHOP set can be found here. This tournament will be using advanced stats.

Kevin Wang will be serving as tournament director for this online playtest mirror.

Eligibility:

This tournament is open to all “open” players (that is, players not currently affiliated with any academic institution), as well as teams from WORKSHOP host schools composed of players who will staff or otherwise not play said institutions’ regional online mirrors of WORKSHOP. We encourage all other teams to play their regional online mirrors, announcements for which are forthcoming. We anticipate having college mirrors in nearly all regions between February and April 2021. If you do not fit either of those categories but would like to play this mirror, please contact quizbowlworkshop AT gmail DOT com explaining your situation.

To register please email me at quizbowlworkshop AT gmail DOT com

At team formation spreadsheet is available here. Note that you are still required to email me to officially register.

Payment:

The fee for this tournament will be $80 per team. Payment by Venmo is preferred, but if this does not work for you please contact me at quizbowlworkshop AT gmail DOT com, and another form of payment can be arranged. Information on who to Venmo will be sent out prior to the tournament.

Field Cap:

The field cap will be set at 16 teams.

Logistics:

This tournament will begin at 10 AM eastern on 6 February 2021. Please be on the server at 9:30 AM eastern; a link to the server for this tournament will be sent out the week before.

Code of Conduct:

This tournament will have a Code of Conduct that will be sent out to all players and staffers prior to the tournament. All participants must agree to abide by this Code of Conduct in order to participate in this tournament.

We look forward to hosting this playtest mirror of 2021 WORKSHOP and hope you can play!
Last edited by meebles127 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
E. Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"It's by Dali, it has the creepy clocks, but I can't remember its name!"
meebles127
Wakka

Re: 2021 WORKSHOP Playtest Mirror [6 February 2021]

Post by meebles127 »

A team formation spreadsheet has been posted.
E. Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Why is a high school student running a tournament for adults?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Santa Claus
Wakka

Post by Santa Claus »

1.82 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:35 pm Why is a high school student running a tournament for adults?
Fair point.

Em will continue to be in charge of pre-tournament logistical concerns, like setting up the Discord. The email to register will now be the official WORKSHOP email (quizbowlworkshop AT gmail DOT com) and the forum announcement will be changed shortly. I will be stepping in as tournament director for this mirror, and will be responsible for running the tournament the day of.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Thanks to both of you for that update. For general reference, my question was not motivated by concerns about Em's competence or integrity, but simply by it being inadvisable for a high school student to be placed in a position of authority over adults.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
meebles127
Wakka

Post by meebles127 »

Teams that are interested in playing the WORKSHOP playtest mirror should register as soon as possible.
E. Gunter

Santa Claus
Wakka

Post by Santa Claus »

With the tournament two days away, we have 9 teams signed up. We would like to have an even 10, and would encourage the remaining free agents to form a team. If necessary, we will form a team on Friday from any one who has not removed their team from the list.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Santa Claus
Wakka

Post by Santa Claus »

We have received a registration from a final team and are intending to collapse the remaining free agents into open slots in other teams. With that, registration for this mirror is now closed.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
meebles127
Wakka

Post by meebles127 »

Congratulations to team bruh for winning the tournament in a one-game final.

Stats can be found here. If there are any issues with the stats please email them to me at: egunter127 AT gmail DOT com.
E. Gunter

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks for hosting this! I thought this was a great set with many interesting clues and answer lines. I encourage everyone to play it.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008