Southeast-Midwest Housewrite Part 2 @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, June 26th, 2021)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Southeast-Midwest Housewrite Part 2 @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, June 26th, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, Canada!

I, Meghan Torchia, will be independently directing a mirror of the other half (technically the first half) of Southeast-Midwest Housewrite, to be held over Discord on Saturday, June 26th, 2021.

Fees and Registration

These and any subsequent dollar amounts I mention are in Canadian Dollars unless otherwise specified.

Base fee: $100
Shorthanded Discount: -$25 for a team of 1 or 2 players
New Team Discount: -$25 if the university has not fielded a team at a tournament since August 1, 2019

To register, please send me an email at meghan [DOT] torchia [AT] gmail [DOT] com with your team name and any discounts you'd like to claim.

Staffing

If you'd like to staff this event, please send me an email at the address above, or message me on Facebook or Discord. Staffers will be paid -- the exact amount will depend on the field and the number of staffers I end up with -- I guarantee this will be at least $20 and will likely be more.

Eligibility

This tournament is, unlike the SMH 2 mirror I hosted, OPEN. Anyone, as long as they are not a middle or high school player, may play this tournament with whomever else they like. Middle school and high school players may not play or moderate for this tournament.

I've written "Eastern Canada" in the title of this announcement to reflect the circuit for which it is intended, but if you are from another part of Canada and would like to play this mirror, please let me know.

Set Info

The difficulty of the Southeast-Midwest Housewrite is around the level of 2018 PACE or 2019 ILLIAC; about 1.5 dots on the dot scale. The set is edited by Aidan Leahy [UGA], Govind Prabhakar [Georgetown], Arjun Nageswaran [Adlai E. Stevenson], Katherine Lei [MIT], Dylan Bowman [UIUC], Ethan Strombeck [Stanford], William Groger [Miami Valley], and Ethan Ashbrook [UMN] with featured writers from Yale, UIUC, Stanton College Prep, Lambert, and University Lab. Taylor Harvey [UF] will be acting as a general overseer. The distribution per packet is as follows:

4.00/4.00 Literature
4.00/4.00 History
4.00/4.00 Science
3.00/3.00 Fine Arts
1.00/1.00 Religious Beliefs and Traditions
1.00/1.00 Myths and Legends
0.75/0.75 Philosophy
0.75/0.75 Social Science
0.50/0.50 Current Events
0.50/0.50 Geography
0.50/0.50 Popular Culture and Other Academic

Misconduct

This tournament will not tolerate misconduct such as, but not limited to: racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, verbal harassment of players or staff, and generally inappropriate comments. A link to the misconduct form as well as the IKEA Code of Conduct, to which we’ll be adhering, will be available and visible on the server.

Cheating

Cheating will not be tolerated at this tournament. Video will be required for all players; if this is not an option please let us know beforehand via email or Discord. We reserve the right to remove anyone whom we believe to be cheating from the tournament. Our protocol for dealing with cheaters can also be found on the Code of Conduct linked above.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please post them here. Looking forward to seeing you all virtually in June!

Current field:

"University of Manitoba Fightin' Bison" (Kevin Fan, Kais Jessa, Abbey Wilson, Giorgio Karam)
"Acton-Scarborough" (Raymond Chen et al.)
"Acton-Boxborough" (Sky Li et al.)
Milan et al.
Tony et al.
"Where Are the Guos of Yesteryear" (Henry et al.)
ADR et al.
"Neruda Sandstorm" (Waterloo)
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Southeast-Midwest Housewrite Part 2 @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, June 26th, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, teams!

Thanks for registering to attend Saturday's mirror of SMH 1. If you haven't already, please join the Discord server at this link: [REDACTED]
The tournament will start at 10 AM SHARP. Please make sure you are online by 9:50 for opening announcements.

Please also make sure that you change your server nickname to your real name and react to the honour pledge in the #honor-pledge channel. I will not assign you a role if you don't do these things and you will not be able to see any of your game rooms. Please also take a look at the schedule in the #announcements channel and ensure you have access to the correct rooms once I've given you a role.
We have 8 teams for this event, so we will be playing a 7-game round robin with an advantaged final if necessary.

The fee for this tournament is $100 per team, unless you have 2 or fewer players, in which case it is $75. Please send payment BEFORE the start of the tournament. You can etransfer me at [REDACTED] , or if that's a problem then please reach out to me and we can work something else out.
If you have any questions please feel free to reply to this email or message me somewhere else. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023