MUSES II at Chicago Open 2021

Old college threads.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

MUSES II at Chicago Open 2021

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Howdy folks! We are pleased to announce a mirror of MUSES II at this year's Chicago Open. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be the tournament director for this event.

The cost to play will be $10 per player. Staffers will be paid $20 each.

Here is a Team Formation Spreadsheet. Please note, filling out this form does not constitute a sign up to play; to officially register, please email me at bamclai2 AT utexas DOT edu. Anyone interesting in staffing can express interest on this sheet as well

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address or on Discord.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Re: MUSES II at Chicago Open 2021

Just a reminder to teams planning to play this, to officially sign up you need to send me an email to the address in the original post.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

We are capping the field at 10 teams, we will expand to 12 if there is sufficient interest and staff.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Unfortunately, due to some unavoidable conflicts with my upcoming Ph.D. program, I am no longer able to attend. Iain Carpenter will be taking over day of logistics and tournament director responsibilities. For all communication regarding this event before Sunday, please continue to contact me.

Relatedly, we still have an open spot in the field and more than enough free agents to fill it! We are also considering allowing 11 teams (with prelim brackets of 5 and 6) in order to make sure no one who wants to play the set will not be left out. If you have any feedback or input regarding formats please reach out to me on discord or the email given above.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

In an email just sent to team contacts, I just announced that we are considering experimenting with the scoring format. We will only do this if there is a clear support for this among the teams currently in the field.

The proposal is as such:

Instead of a standard 15/10/-5 scoring scheme, we are considering making it 25/15/-5. That is, to be 25 points per power, 15 points per "10", and -5 points per neg.

We are asking each team to provide their opinion on this to the email above or to me directly on discord, whether it is supporting, opposing, or something in between.

We hope everyone has a safe trip and enjoys Chicago Open weekend!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

From the responses received so far, there does not appear to be a clear, strong preference for changing the format, as such we will be sticking with the standard scoring.

More details will be sent out tomorrow morning, but here are a few key things to know for tomorrow's event:

1. The start time will be determined by the end time of Scattergories. If Scattergories takes a lunch break, we will begin shortly after they end. If Scattergories does not take a lunch break, we will begin roughly 1 hour after they end to allow folks to eat.

2. The format for this event will be 2 pools of 5 that play a round robin, giving each team one bye in the prelims. During that bye, teams are free to scrimmage the packet against the other team on bye. For playoffs, the top 3 teams from each pool will play each other, for a total of 8 games. The bottom 2 teams from each bracket will also play each other for 7 games. As this set has 8 packets, this will not allow for a final in the event of a tie but we opted for this format to allow people to play as many packets as possible. This is not set in stone and if people would prefer to play less games to preserve the possibility of a final we will make that work by doing playoffs brackets of 2-2-1
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

All teams have been given a name in the team formation doc, if anyone doesn't like their name or would prefer a generic one, let me know.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Here's the basic info for today's event
Attachments
Muses Scheduling - Playoffs.pdf
(25.59 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Muses Scheduling - Team Names.pdf
(32.32 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Muses Scheduling - Prelims.pdf
(32.8 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

I would like to make a brief petition to join a team as a fifth member (substitute or otherwise) or as a replacement for someone who is not here. Should this not pan out, I would be interested in reading/score keeping for this.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

I'm also interested in staffing this!
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Santa Claus wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:35 pm I would like to make a brief petition to join a team as a fifth member (substitute or otherwise) or as a replacement for someone who is not here. Should this not pan out, I would be interested in reading/score keeping for this.
If no one in the field objects we have no problem with a few 5 person teams as long as it is the lower seeded teams getting the extra person.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Illinois Admin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:00 pm
Santa Claus wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:35 pm I would like to make a brief petition to join a team as a fifth member (substitute or otherwise) or as a replacement for someone who is not here. Should this not pan out, I would be interested in reading/score keeping for this.
If no one in the field objects we have no problem with a few 5 person teams as long as it is the lower seeded teams getting the extra person.
In that case I would also like to join as a fifth player. Feel free to assign me to a team.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Not to be obnoxious, but any chance we could get the MUSES team names (which are amazing), prelims, and playoffs in 3 separate tabs of a Google Sheet? It'd be much easier to read than downloading PDFs when walking around Tech looking at your phone. =)
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Aaron's Rod wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:19 pm Not to be obnoxious, but any chance we could get the MUSES team names (which are amazing), prelims, and playoffs in 3 separate tabs of a Google Sheet? It'd be much easier to read than downloading PDFs when walking around Tech looking at your phone. =)
here they are

Glad you like them! Hope everyone enjoys the event!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Congratulations to our co-champions, Here I Am, Rock You Like a Hurrian (Will Alston, Alston Boyd, John Lawrence, and Stephen Liu) and Oh You Like Mythology? Then Name Every Dinosaur (Matt Bollinger, Alex Damisch, Auroni Gupta, and Daniel Hothem)!!!

Full stats can be found here
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

A discussion forum has been made, we'd love to hear folks feedback!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Link to the date poll for the online mirror can be found here.
Iain Carpenter
Mahomet-Seymour High School (2013-2017)
UIUC (2017-2021)