NASAT 2021 DMV Mirror (7/10 - Likely UMD)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

NASAT 2021 DMV Mirror (7/10 - Likely UMD)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a DC-Maryland-Virginia mirror of NASAT in the next couple of weeks. Please fill out this form if you're interested in playing such a tournament.

Attendees for this tournament must be vaccinated. I can't 100% confirm location at the moment, but it is likely that we will host at the University of Maryland. If that is not feasible, we will search for other places, and I can guarantee an accessible venue for at least 6 teams in the worst case scenario. Further updates will be provided via email.

Quizbowl is good and I miss it. Let's make it happen, responsibly, in person.

Best,

Will A.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: NASAT 2021 DMV Mirror (Saturday July 10th - Likely UMD)

I am thrilled by the interest in this event! Unfortunately, we can't accommodate everyone's preferred date, but for now we're going to plan for Saturday, July 10th. The current plan is to host this event at the University of Maryland, presuming that we can acquire accommodations. Please fill out the interest form above with your email if you want updates, as I will be using that list to communicate with participants.

Also, if you have a buzzer, please email me (william [dot] t [dot] alston [at] gmail [dot] com) if you have one, because slap bowl is bleh :(

SO EXCITED FOR IN PERSON QUIZBOWL AGAIN <3
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: NASAT 2021 DMV Mirror (7/10 - Likely UMD)

As a further addendum: we plan to use a draft format. This means that captains will be selected before the event to draft teams when the event starts. The idea is to encourage balanced teams and playing with new teammates. Captains will be selected by the tournament organizer (me) based on skill and team leading experience.

DRAFT FORMAT REVISED BELOW.

Please fill out the interest form in the original post to indicate not only your contact info, but your subject specialties for the draft!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We've got 21 people expressing interest so far, not including myself and a few folks I have reached out to.

We will be able to secure 4 rooms for this event, meaning we can accommodate 8 teams - so I'm going to cap the field after 32 signups.

The draft format will work as follows - a number of captains will be chosen and seeded based on generalist skill. Then, players will be drafted in a cycle beginning with the lowest seeded captain and ending with the highest seeded one, then repeating (such that the lowest-seeded captains will always have teams with more players). This is *not* a snake draft, due to probable skill gaps between the highest seeded and lowest seeded captains.

EDIT: Entry fee will be $15 per player - I'll email payment options to players beforehand - and the money left over after mirror fees will go to pay the staff (ending up at $30-40 per staffer depending on how many players we get).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

are captains/participants going to be announced before the event or only at the event
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Abdon Ubidia wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:17 pm are captains/participants going to be announced before the event or only at the event
Good question. I'm gonna maintain a field below for 7/10 (which is a Saturday, not a Sunday, as I incorrectly marked on the form) - if I've marked you out as a provisional captain and you don't want to be one, please let me know. Thanks!

Provisional captains (with seeds) - Will decide these later this week.
Jordan Brownstein (1)
Will Alston (2)
Matt Bollinger (3) [I still think Matt's better than me but we're going with this for now]
Anson Berns (4)
Nitin Rao (5)
Alex Schmidt (6)

Players other than captains (with listed specialties from the sign-up form)

Anderson Wang - lit (especially poetry), math
David Bass - math, molecular bio, literature, some visual arts
Kevin Thomas - mythology, religion, biology, history
Vincent Du - science, minus bio, some phil/ss
Jim Fan - physics, math, some literature
JinAh Kim - literature, phil/ss, myth, some arts
Connor Mayers - literature, misc ac/geo/other
Victor Pavao - history, arts
Dan Ni - science
Jacob Augelli - history, pockets of myth, religion, geo, and engineering
Alana Dickey - religion, geography
Michael Bucknall - philosophy, mythology, some general
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 am, edited 9 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

naan/steak-holding toll wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 pm Will Alston (2)
Matt Bollinger (3)
BIG if true... #2015UVARideOrDie
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Posting here because I’m gauging interest in playing JORDU after NASAT. One person has expressed interest and I would need at least 7 others to run it (2v2v2v2). If interested, please DM me (I don’t believe I can make a poll in the comments).
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

This tournament will be held at the Skinner Building at UMD, since we are guaranteed to have access to rooms there. Please arrive by 9AM. We'll be using the lecture hall in the basement to hold the opening meeting and draft (I'll post updates with room number once I get specifics).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We have 6 teams, so we'll do a simple double round robin, with finals as needed/desired by players. A logistics email has been sent out - please let me know if you haven't received it. Thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The lecture hall is locked so we will meet in Skinner 1116. There are several people running late so we'll start at 9:15.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Thanks for everyone for coming out today! Things ran smoothly and I think the draft format was a successful experiment. Good to touch an actual buzzer once again.

Congratulations to "five-star google review of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory" (Jordan Brownstein, Jacob Augelli, Alana Dickey) for going undefeated and clearing the field. Full stats can be found here.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

Thanks to everyone who played, I had a blast staffing first in person tournament in forever! If you'd like to join the discussion forum for this set, you can go to your profile and join the "NASAT 2021" usergroup.