NAQT Collegiate Novice online hosted by Toronto

Old college threads.
csop124
Kimahri

NAQT Collegiate Novice online hosted by Toronto

Post by csop124 »

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club will be hosting an online mirror of NAQT’s Collegiate Novice tournament (CNS-204C) on Saturday, September 25, 2021. I (Ian Chow) will be the tournament director, and can be reached at [email protected].

Logistics
The tournament will begin at 10:00am and will be held online. A Discord server will serve as a central hub for announcements, while games will take place using a combination of Zoom and buzzin.live.

Note that cameras are required for every player, and that we will ask all players to try to keep their face and at least one hand in view during gameplay. If this is an issue for anyone, please let me know and I will see if accommodations can be made.

Fees and Registration
We will use NAQT’s registration system for this tournament. To register, create an account and register at https://www.naqt.com/go/register/12700. In addition, please email me ([email protected]) as well. Payment will be by e-transfer to [email protected] and due by the start of the tournament.

The fee for this tournament will be $80 (CAD) per team, with the following discounts:

-$10/team for each moderator with a computer, reliable Internet, and decent microphone quality
-$15/team if that school did not attend any tournaments in the 2019-20 school year
-$15/team for a shorthanded team (team consisting of 1 or 2 players)

Eligibility
This tournament is open to teams that would normally play at a tournament held in Southern Ontario. If you are from another part of Canada and would like to play this mirror, let me know. This tournament will have strict eligibility requirements as it is intended for novices currently enrolled in post-secondary institutions. Note that high school players and coaches may not attend this tournament.

Any player who has never played quizbowl before (History Bowl and Reach for the Top do not count) is automatically eligible.

If a player has played quizbowl before, they are eligible so long as:

1. They have not scored more than PP20TUH of over 25 at a collegiate tournament (not including collegiate novice).
2. They have not received a PP20TUH of over 30 on an IS set or over 50 on an IS-A set (including collegiate novice).
3. They have played quizbowl at a post-secondary institution for at most one academic year.

If you are not eligible per the above restrictions but believe that you would still like to play Collegiate Novice, please contact me at [email protected] and I may consider making an exception.

Rules
This tournament will follow NAQT rules and use 22/22 length paсks.

Field
This will be updated as registrations are received.

UBC x2
Queens x2
Waterloo x2
Western x1
McMaster x1
UConn x2
McGill x3
Toronto x2
Ottawa x1

If you have any questions about the tournament, please email me at [email protected]. I look forward to seeing you all (virtually) on the 25th!
Ian Chow
University of Toronto