The tournament will take place at Jimenez Hall. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 AM and gameplay will begin at 9:00. I, Vishwa Shanmugam, will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to me at 18vshanmugam DOT stem AT gmail.com
To make this tournament more accessible to new teams and players, ACF is enforcing eligibility guidelines for ACF Fall. Players are not eligible to compete at 2021 ACF Fall if, at any point, they:
- Scored more than 50 PPG in the prelims of a college mirror of ACF Fall, OR
- Were the top scorer (highest overall PPG) on a team that finished in the top 15% of the field, rounded up, at ACF Fall, OR
- Scored more than 40 PP20TUH in the prelims of HSNCT or 60 PPG in the prelims of PACE NSC, OR
- Were the top scorer (highest overall PPG) on a team that finished in the top 30 at HSNCT or top 10 at PACE NSC, OR
- Finished in the top 12 in IPNCT
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Rules specifically pertaining to online tournaments have been rendered in blue.
Fill out the central 2021 ACF Fall registration form with all relevant information. The form is here. The field for each site can be found here.
If possible, teams should register for the site that is geographically closest to them and/or is in the region they would normally attend. The field cap will start at 18, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist or potentially assigned to another site. Please register by October 11, 2021.
- Base fee: $120
- New to quizbowl discount: −$80
- Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$60
- Travel discount: −$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way (in-person only)
- Buzzers: −$10 per functional buzzer system (in-person only)
- Staffers: −$15 (in-person) or −$25 (online) per staffer with a functional laptop. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out this form.
Like 2020 ACF Fall, no teams are required to submit questions in order to play the tournament. However, ACF still needs high-quality, half-packet submissions from teams to complete the set.
Below is the submission schedule for ACF Fall. All deadlines are at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. All submitting teams are eligible for an additional −$20 quality discount if their questions are particularly polished and usable, up to a maximum discount of −$60. Teams may submit a maximum of one half-packet.
- August 21: −$50
- August 28: −$40
- September 4: −$30
- September 11: −$20
- September 18: −$10
Each submission consists of 12 tossups and 12 bonuses. Before writing, please review ACF's packet submission guidelines and stick to the format provided. Answers should generally emphasize playability over creativity – aim for creative and interesting clues with straightforward answerlines. These 5 model tossups reflect the difficulty and style to aim for. When finished, submit your half-packet by emailing it to [email protected].
Your assigned half-packet will ask for questions from more specific categories within the distribution. For instance, instead of being assigned an “American Literature” tossup, you might be asked to write a question on a 20th-century American poem, or an Economics bonus instead of “Social Science/Philosophy.” This should reduce redundancy in submissions and maximize the number of submitted questions we can use, without being too constraining. The submission form offers space to indicate your writing interests in each category, which we will do our best to accommodate.