11/13 - Illinois Open main site

Old college threads.
db0wman
Wakka

11/13 - Illinois Open main site

Post by db0wman »

I am pleased to announce that the main site of Illinois Open will be occurring on November 13, 2021 at the University of Illinois. More details about the set can be found here. The tournament will be held at David Kinley Hall (1407 W. Gregory Dr. Urbana, IL 61801) and will start at 9AM. The tournament will be run using bouncebacks.

Registration
To register for this tournament, please email me at [email protected]. In your email, please provide your team name, the names of your players, and an emergency contact phone number from one of the players. Here is a team formation sheet--keep in mind that filling it out does NOT mean that you are registered; you have to email me to register. I will keep the post below updated with registered teams.

Fees
Base Fee: $120/team
Buzzers: -$10/working buzzer system
Staffers: -$15/competent staffer
Travel: -$10 for teams traveling more than 200 miles one way

Health Protocols
As per the University of Illinois guidelines, all players and staff will be required to wear a mask for this event. It is also much preferred that all attendees are vaccinated against COVID-19.
Last edited by db0wman on Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
db0wman
Wakka

Re: 11/13 - Illinois Open main site

Post by db0wman »

Field (10/12)
Alston et al.
BHSU
Chicago
If the Morrow plots are so good why is there no tomorrow?
Ill, annoyed, hopin’ (for a tossup)
Minarik et al.
MN Champaign
MN Urbana
Ohio State
Timmy, Johnny, and Spike
Last edited by db0wman on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Limonana
Lulu

Post by Limonana »

Seeking teammates for this event.
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

The main post of this thread has been updated to indicate that we will be using bouncebacks at this tournament, though we will not be requiring other mirrors of Illinois Open to use them.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I am looking for teammates for this event. I can offer buzzes on assorted things: in particular some religion, history that is not about specific people, geography and things that can be frauded from such, and math. I would like to have a good time playing quizbowl; winning lots of matches is secondary to that. If you're interested in teaming up, shoot me a PM or message me on Discord!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Was a decision made on the Sunday event?
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Megachile dupla wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:44 am Was a decision made on the Sunday event?
As of right now, we aren't planning on running any side events due to lack of interest. If this changes, we're flexible since I've already reserved the rooms in advance. I'll double-check with teams closer to the tournament date.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

db0wman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:08 pm
Megachile dupla wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:44 am Was a decision made on the Sunday event?
As of right now, we aren't planning on running any side events due to lack of interest. If this changes, we're flexible since I've already reserved the rooms in advance. I'll double-check with teams closer to the tournament date.
I responded to you via email but it may be better to post the question here for visibility? For the record our team would like for TELEOLOGY to be played Sunday.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Megachile dupla wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:47 pm
I responded to you via email but it may be better to post the question here for visibility? For the record our team would like for TELEOLOGY to be played Sunday.
Yeah sure--if anyone seeing this would be interested in running TELEOLOGY on Sunday after the tournament, let me know via email or on this forum thread. Additionally, the original post has been updated to reflect that the field has reached its initial cap of 12 and all subsequent teams will be placed onto the waitlist until we expand.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

db0wman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 pm
Yeah sure--if anyone seeing this would be interested in running TELEOLOGY on Sunday after the tournament, let me know via email or on this forum thread. Additionally, the original post has been updated to reflect that the field has reached its initial cap of 12 and all subsequent teams will be placed onto the waitlist until we expand.
Yeah, I and at least several others booked travel with the assumption that there would be a Sunday event. Definitely hoping to play TELEOLOGY (or staff Super ACRONYM, if there's a sudden massive demand for that instead).
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 pm I am looking for teammates for this event. I can offer buzzes on assorted things: in particular some religion, history that is not about specific people, geography and things that can be frauded from such, and math. I would like to have a good time playing quizbowl; winning lots of matches is secondary to that. If you're interested in teaming up, shoot me a PM or message me on Discord!
I have found a team.

If anyone wants to grab dinner on Friday, shoot me a message!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

We've had a player drop and are looking for a teammate (pronounced preference for science). Shoot me an email if you're interested.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

We're also looking for a player, ideally literature focused
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

db0wman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 pm
I'd play Teleology. If you want someone on your team who knows video games and music hit me up.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

To everyone who doesn't have it--here's the schedule for today.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Congratulations to BHSU for their victory in an advantaged final over "If the morrow plots are so good, why is there no tomorrow?". Ohio State placed third and Abu Lahab Fan Club placed fourth. The stats can be found here, though the ordering does not perfectly reflect final placement.

For anyone interested in TELEOLOGY tomorrow, the team formation form can be found here. Registration will be $25 per player and we will play 9-10 rounds tomorrow morning, starting at 8:45 AM. Hope to see you all there!
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Thank you to everyone who staffed, finishing up a tournament with bouncebacks and finals before 7 PM was great.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

A subforum for set discussion now exists. Request access to it through Board Index -> User Control Panel -> Usergroups.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)